none
How much metadata (_tracking tables) should I cleanup on the local server database? RRS feed

• Question

• I have many SqlCe clients that sync to one SQL database … does it sound reasonable to run a maintenance task that runs cleanup on the SQL server that remove metadata that is older than the last sync date of the client who has not sync’d in the longest time (I track syncs in a table)?

Server: Am I correct that if I clean up metadata older than the last sync date of some clients … those clients will not get the benefit of that metadata … I ASSUME the sync will continue without reporting any errors … and I ASSUME the data will not be reliable …?

Remote Client: Am I correct that since my clients only sync to a single remote database … I should be able to trigger a cleanup after every sync … and cleanup everything on the client through the current date … ?

Wednesday, July 27, 2011 8:32 PM

All replies

• by cleaning up metadata, am assuming you're using the Sync Framework (PerformCleanup/RetentionInDays) and not programatically deleting rows in the tracking tables.

i think cleaning up metadata older than the oldest last synched date of a client is fine. in my case i actually go back a week or two from the oldest sync date just to make sure.

The clean up is retention-based and will only clean up data for deleted rows. so take into consideration how much deletes do you actually do. it doesnt make sense to run a cleanup every sync when you seldom delete rows.

Thursday, July 28, 2011 1:51 AM