Can WHS be installed on a Windows 7 desktop computer? RRS feed

• Question

• It seems to me from the MS WHS website that you MUST buy the WHS software and hardware (e.g. from HP, Acer, etc.) together. Is this really necessary? Or can I simply buy the WHS software and install it on a normal Windows 7 Desktop PC? This would be a much better solution for me, as I intend to use my desktop not just for features provided by WHS, but also things like video conferencing (e.g. through Skype) through my TV. So I basically need all the functionality of a desktop + WHS on a single machine. Please let me know if this is possible.

I see that Amazon is selling the OEM version of WHS. Can I buy this and install it on my desktop?

I'd have though that this is a very common question, but I can't seem to find any info on this anywhere. Would appreciate your comments.

Thanks!
    Stickman
    Tuesday, January 12, 2010 1:52 AM

Answers

• It seems to me from the MS WHS website that you MUST buy the WHS software and hardware (e.g. from HP, Acer, etc.) together. Is this really necessary?

No, you can buy the OEM software from various online locations.  Note however that the software is not a "retail" product.  OEM license means you are your own support.

Or can I simply buy the WHS software and install it on a normal Windows 7 Desktop PC?

Yes and no.  :)  You can buy the OEM software, but it really needs to be installed it on it's own hardware.  It automatically formats all drives attached at the time of installation (which means there goes your Win 7 install  :)  ).  Plus using WHS as a workstation is not supported (since logging into the server desktop is unsupported) and really not a good idea anyway as there are tools that are part of the underlying OS (Server 2003) that can break WHS.

This would be a much better solution for me, as I intend to use my desktop not just for features provided by WHS, but also things like video conferencing (e.g. through Skype) through my TV. So I basically need all the functionality of a desktop + WHS on a single machine. Please let me know if this is possible. 

I see that Amazon is selling the OEM version of WHS. Can I buy this and install it on my desktop?

I'd have though that this is a very common question, but I can't seem to find any info on this anywhere. Would appreciate your comments.

Thanks!
    Stickman

Tuesday, January 12, 2010 2:09 AM