WHS PP1 - HD Boot Failure RRS feed

• Question

•  

Hi,

Wondering if anyone has thoughts/experience on the following:

-          WHS PP1 boots, I see the usual “Windows Home Server” boot screen with moving progress bar

-          About 45 seconds into boot, receive a blue screen with “STOP: C0000218 {Registry File Failure}

o   The registry cannot load the hive (file):

o   \SystemRoot\System32\Config\SOFTWARE

o   Or its log or alternate

o   It is corrupt, absent, or not writable.

o   Beginning dump of physical memory….

-          Then auto cycles to reboot/return to step 1.

I had autoupdate turned on, perhaps this came from the November update?  I haven’t changed anything on WHS in at least a couple of months…  Can’t find any detail on this type of error in the KB.

Thanks,

Friday, December 5, 2008 5:46 AM

All replies

• smantelope said:

Hi,

Wondering if anyone has thoughts/experience on the following:

-          WHS PP1 boots, I see the usual “Windows Home Server” boot screen with moving progress bar

-          About 45 seconds into boot, receive a blue screen with “STOP: C0000218 {Registry File Failure}

o   The registry cannot load the hive (file):

o   \SystemRoot\System32\Config\SOFTWARE

o   Or its log or alternate

o   It is corrupt, absent, or not writable.

o   Beginning dump of physical memory….

-          Then auto cycles to reboot/return to step 1.

I had autoupdate turned on, perhaps this came from the November update?  I haven’t changed anything on WHS in at least a couple of months…  Can’t find any detail on this type of error in the KB.

Thanks,

It sounds like your registry is corrupted somehow.  You might try running chkdsk /r on your primary drive.  Unfortunately, you are probably facing a Server Reinstallation.
    Friday, December 5, 2008 6:45 AM
  • Hi,

I installed WHS a couple of weeks ago and everything has been fine until now......

I'm getting excactly the same bluescreen and message as smantelope.

I tried boot in safemodus, but it stops at the same file.  Any other suggestions?

If I have to reinstall WHS, is there anyway I can restore the 2 TB of data?

Thanks,
    Saturday, March 14, 2009 9:09 AM
  • Server reinstallation is a special installation mode which will allow you to preserve the data in your shares. Boot from your installation media and provide any drivers your server needs for storage controllers at the appropriate time, and when you reach the screen asking what type of installation you want to do. Choose the reinstallation or recovery option, and you should be okay.
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Saturday, March 14, 2009 2:08 PM