Sharedview Causing Problems with Word RRS feed

• Question

•  

Has anyone else had issues with Sharedview causing Word problems with permissions over the NORMAL.DOT or with generating merge letters?  I use Sharedview to connect for tech support issues at work and all our clients who install sharedview (with Word 2000, XP, 03, and 07) all have these problems as well.  I haven't seen anything here addressing them so I was wondering if it was something other people were experiencing.

Thanks!

-justin

Wednesday, February 13, 2008 10:06 PM

Answers

• Please try installing the latest (1.0) version of SharedView.  By default, it does not enable integration with Word (it can be enabled from the Options dialog in SharedView).

Please let us know if that helps.

thanks

Cameron

Monday, March 17, 2008 7:28 PM

All replies

• Upon installing sharedview, do you find that the normal.dot permissions have changed?  Or does it happen after sharing?

Monday, February 18, 2008 6:27 PM
  • upon installing.  the only way i know of to fix this is to uninstall

Wednesday, February 20, 2008 8:09 PM
  • Please try installing the latest (1.0) version of SharedView.  By default, it does not enable integration with Word (it can be enabled from the Options dialog in SharedView).

Please let us know if that helps.

thanks

Cameron

Monday, March 17, 2008 7:28 PM
  • I have installed the latest version (just downloaded) and still the ShareView button appears in Word. I have a problem when closing Windows, because it attempts to overwrite my normal.dot, which I do not allow.

Thanks.
    Friday, July 4, 2008 4:16 PM

• Hi all - this was driving me crazy too but I may have found the answer

Instructions to uncheck something in Options didn't help.  (The only checkbox I found in Options that refers to Word is labeled "Use Track Changes," which doesn't seem to refer to enabling/disabling Word SharedView integration itself.  If it really means this, IMHO it's drastically mislabeled!) 

Turned out SharedView was being run via a registry key for Word COM add-ins that don't show up in Tools | COM Addins.  This tricky little "feature" exists in Word when COM addins are installed to run for all users.  They then appear in the reg key below, but aren't visible from Word.  Pretty maddening.  Thanks to Ryan Christiansen at blogs.technet.com for this info.

Reg key:  HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Office\Word\Addins.  Why would Microsoft have a way to install COM Addins whose existence are invisible from within Word?  <Sigh>

Not sure why this fix wasn't mentioned in this thread by a moderator.  Cameron, am I missing something, or is this a legitimate caveat that should be made known?
    Monday, September 1, 2008 3:19 PM