How to improve programmong skills? RRS feed

Answers

• Well thats really tough one Because there is no such standard way for doing so, but there are certain things that can be done to improve your performance and most important of them are practise , practice and only practise.
    Friday, September 21, 2007 12:32 PM
  • Secondly i can give you how to improve the way to practise.

Start with smaller problems and slowly increase the difficulty level,

For that also there is asite which i CAn tell you but i would like you to just practise with Pattern making , series making and Input/output handling progs.
    Friday, September 21, 2007 12:36 PM
  • later on you can proceed with string handling concepts.

Friday, September 21, 2007 12:39 PM
  • And to test all these skills online you can go for www.topcoder.com and register there
    as they provide a good platform for programmeers as well as attractive prizes.
    Friday, September 21, 2007 12:41 PM
  • Thats why i gave you the web address, Topcoder is really a site where there is lots of Programs of different levels, and variety.
    Friday, September 21, 2007 12:44 PM

All replies

• Well thats really tough one Because there is no such standard way for doing so, but there are certain things that can be done to improve your performance and most important of them are practise , practice and only practise.
    Friday, September 21, 2007 12:32 PM
  • Secondly i can give you how to improve the way to practise.

Start with smaller problems and slowly increase the difficulty level,

For that also there is asite which i CAn tell you but i would like you to just practise with Pattern making , series making and Input/output handling progs.
    Friday, September 21, 2007 12:36 PM
  • later on you can proceed with string handling concepts.

Friday, September 21, 2007 12:39 PM
  • And to test all these skills online you can go for www.topcoder.com and register there
    as they provide a good platform for programmeers as well as attractive prizes.
    Friday, September 21, 2007 12:41 PM
  • Thanks for the advice but i do practise , but i lack resources

Friday, September 21, 2007 12:42 PM
  • Thats why i gave you the web address, Topcoder is really a site where there is lots of Programs of different levels, and variety.
    Friday, September 21, 2007 12:44 PM
  • Thanks once again , i ll look to it.

Friday, September 21, 2007 12:46 PM

• Practice makes man perfect..
    Friday, September 21, 2007 12:53 PM
  • I m also new to programming and i see a lot of STL in TOPCODER.

So is there any site from which i can hav a complete tutorial of STL.

and if u talk about pattern matching then i think we need to learn a lot of algorithm..

Friday, September 21, 2007 5:54 PM
  • imran,

I think this site may help u out

http://www.sgi.com/tech/stl/

even i am completely new to what these stls r....discovered them just to practise for the coding challenge ahead

....havent browsed thru all the contents of this site.....but it seems to contain a lot of things

at least these templates provide us  with new questions.....new programming puzzles to try out

like vector implementation,dqueue,....isn't?so keep it up

first while practising the programming tasks we shouldn't bother about the time limits and take our own time to try different methodologies to solve them to arrive at the most optimised solutions

......fragmenting the problems into routines,subroutines and classes(in C++) helps

would love to share more on that

Saturday, September 22, 2007 6:46 AM
  • As already mentioned, practice practice and practice yet again help improve programming skills.
    Sites like topcoder are cool because they offer a lot of challenges and so on.
    But if you have time to spare and want to really improve your skills, then just pick up a book on algorithms, understand how the algorithms should work, and then try implementing them. It's really useful, since concepts picked up while coding those algorithms can be used later on for various other programs.
    A nice book if you care to buy it is "Fundamentals of Computer Algorithms" by Ellis Horowitz, Sartaj Sahni, & Sanguthevar Rajasekaran, Galgotia Publications Pvt. Ltd.
    Sunday, September 23, 2007 6:28 PM