Please Help! WLW will not open RRS feed

• Question

• I installed WLW yesterday and was able to successfully post an entry.  Today, I cannot open WLW at all.  I have re-started my computer.  I was getting an error "Windows Live Writer Has stopped working.  Windows will let you know when a solution has been found."  But I was still able to work in WLW.

Now, it tries to open and immediately shuts down.  I have Windows Vista (which could be the problem.)

I really want to get a post out today, can anyone help?

P.S.  I saw the other thread, but am still confused.  I appreciate anyone's advice

Thanks!

Friday, January 30, 2009 6:26 PM

All replies

• Send me an email at bturner@microsoft.com with your Windows Live Writer log file.  Help | About | Show Log File

Edit: sorry, since you can't open WLW you should get the log file from:

C:\Users\<username>\AppData\Local\Windows Live Writer\Windows Live Writer.log

-Brandon Turner [MSFT]
    Friday, January 30, 2009 7:42 PM
  • Hi Brandon, I have typed every variation that I could think of based on the request you sent to me.  I am searching through my start application in Vista and I don't get anything.  I must be doing something wrong.  I know that WLW is installed, because I see all the files.

I sent you an e-mail.  Thanks for your help!

Friday, January 30, 2009 8:57 PM
  • Type the following into Start | Run:

%LocalAppData%\Windows Live Writer\

Most likely it's a corrupted keywords file, which you can find by typing this into Start | Run:

%AppData%\Windows Live Writer\Keywords\

Try deleting all of the files in this Keywords folder, and then try starting Writer again.
    Saturday, January 31, 2009 8:20 AM
  • I installed Live Essentials on an XPSP3 desktop machine and have a similar problem, it has never successfully launched.
    The folder

C:\Documents and Settings\Henry\Local Settings\Application Data\Windows Live Writer

is empty.  Other Live tools (Mail, Photo Gallery, etc) launch and work fine.

HV

Thursday, October 1, 2009 1:06 PM
  • Sounds like perhaps the .NET Framework is not properly installed? I'd start with reinstalling that. http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?displaylang=en&FamilyID=ab99342f-5d1a-413d-8319-81da479ab0d7#Instructions
    Thursday, October 1, 2009 3:30 PM