Defrag Options in Windows Live OneCare TuneUp RRS feed

• Question

• Reading in the forums, it appears that you cannot control Defrag in WLOC Tune-up.  Does anyone know if there are plans to add this option in future versions?  I have a back-up drive externally connected to my computer that I do not wish to defrag when tune-up runs.
    Wednesday, April 22, 2009 2:57 PM

Answers

• There will be no future version of OneCare. 2.5 is the last. Subscribers will be fully supported through the end of their subscription or end of 2010, whichever comes first.
    I do not believe that the external drive will be Defragmented during Tune-up.
    -steve
    Microsoft MVP Windows Live / Windows Live OneCare & Live Mesh Forum Moderator
    Wednesday, April 22, 2009 4:26 PM

All replies

• There will be no future version of OneCare. 2.5 is the last. Subscribers will be fully supported through the end of their subscription or end of 2010, whichever comes first.
    I do not believe that the external drive will be Defragmented during Tune-up.
    -steve
    Wednesday, April 22, 2009 4:26 PM
  • YES!  The external drive does Defrag, hence my question about excluding it.
    Wednesday, April 22, 2009 6:05 PM
  • I'll have to check my system the next time Tune-up runs as I don't recall the external drive be defragged. I could certainly be wrong.
    In any event, there is no way to configure Defrag in OneCare, unfortunately. As I mentioned in another thread today, I could never understand why this was not an option to be configured by the user.
    -steve

Wednesday, April 22, 2009 7:13 PM
  • Didn't realize OneCare was coming to an end.  Will there be a replacement program?  BTW, Tune-up does defrag external drives.  I disabled defrag during Tune-up by changing the registry entry to stop it since defragging the external drive destroyed my backups.
    Monday, October 19, 2009 1:52 PM
  • Didn't realize OneCare was coming to an end.  Will there be a replacement program?  BTW, Tune-up does defrag external drives.  I disabled defrag during Tune-up by changing the registry entry to stop it since defragging the external drive destroyed my backups.

See here:  http://social.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/onecareinstallandactivate/thread/0000c782-ed1b-4ed3-8afb-87989bb9638c regarding the end of life and replacement. You'll be happy to know that Microsoft Security Essentials does not include Tune-up/Defrag.
    -steve
    ~ Microsoft MVP Windows Live ~ Windows Live OneCare| Live Mesh|MS Security Essentials Forums Moderator ~
    Monday, October 19, 2009 1:58 PM