Using Windows Vista Why do I need WLOC Backup RRS feed

• General discussion

• Windows Vista Back up allows me to back up to second Hard drive

WLOC Backup only allows external Backup to a wasting staggering 10 dvds per backup after that I stopped using WLOC backup.

I now use Windows Vista which has a built in Back up and automaticly backs up to my 2nd storage drive. on a monthly bases.

you ask me WLOC Backup is not needed.

Thursday, July 12, 2007 9:07 PM

All replies

• Vista Home Basic does not support scheduled backups. One Care backup is meant for those who don't have a backup solution. One Care will also back up to an external hard drive, NAS, or a server share in addition to optical media.
    Thursday, July 12, 2007 10:00 PM
  •  JimR1 wrote:
    Vista Home Basic does not support scheduled backups. One Care backup is meant for those who don't have a backup solution. One Care will also back up to an external hard drive, NAS, or a server share in addition to optical media.

Maybe a Idea so customers like me don't have to mess with windows Live Onecare Back up maybe the WLOC installer could skip installing the bakup if it's not needed like in Windows Vista Ultimate then it doesn't Install and reports don't report in yellow bakup is needed in tune-up. Also we as custmers don't have to fuse with turning it off.  

Thursday, July 12, 2007 10:33 PM
  •  Mikro wrote:

JimR1 wrote:
    Vista Home Basic does not support scheduled backups. One Care backup is meant for those who don't have a backup solution. One Care will also back up to an external hard drive, NAS, or a server share in addition to optical media.

Maybe a Idea so customers like me don't have to mess with windows Live Onecare Back up maybe the WLOC installer could skip installing the bakup if it's not needed like in Windows Vista Ultimate then it doesn't Install and reports don't report in yellow bakup is needed in tune-up. Also we as custmers don't have to fuse with turning it off.  

Completely agree with Mikro, I spent about a half an hour searching for answer what backup strategy should I use if I've got Vista Ultimate and OneCare both installed on the same computer. OneCare should better to look for regulary backups using Backup and Restore feature in Ultimate.

Tuesday, July 17, 2007 5:40 AM
  • Completely agree with Mikro and Asmodian. WLOC should scan for backups created with either Vista Home Premium, Vista Enterprise or Ultimate and provide integration capabilities (report schedule and status).

Joachim

Monday, July 23, 2007 8:25 AM
  • I agree as well.  The yellow condition appears to users as if there is a problem even if I already have a backup from Vista Ultimate.

Friday, July 27, 2007 3:30 AM
  • An easier approach for the WLOC programmers would be something similar to the Security Center that says "I have a Backup solution that I will monitor myself" or something like that.

Friday, July 27, 2007 9:51 AM
  • Great idea and easy for Microsoft to implement.

Friday, July 27, 2007 12:16 PM
  • I was beta testing for a while, but I never could figure out how to tell WLOC to stop pestering me about backups. I take it from this post that it wasn't just me - is there really no way to tell it that I don't want it to worry its pretty little head about my backups?

Friday, August 10, 2007 12:07 AM
  • You can turn off One Care backup, it's just not really obvious. Open One Care>Change Settings>Backup>Configure Backup>Change Settings>Uncheck "Turn on backup on this PC".

Friday, August 10, 2007 12:25 AM