Problem with UK Money and Sunset version RRS feed

• Question

• I am using a UK version of Money - but not sure which one. the CD case just says "Microsoft Money"; on the spine it has a reference number 105 00495.  For some time, I haven't been able to open my money file - it kicks out the password at the "sign in to open your money file" stage.

So I installed the US sunset version, which has worked reasonably well except that I get the error message that some components of the planner are missing.

I have been trying various patches, but none seem to solve the issue - thanks for any help.  Is anyone aware of an alternative product which will import Money data?

Control panel says my UK version of Money is version number 14, by the way
    • Edited by AMGSwift Monday, January 27, 2014 7:37 PM
    Monday, January 27, 2014 7:27 PM

All replies

• Your disk installs Money 2005 (Money 14), but a version which requires an online update which is no longer available. See the second post in this forum. You need Money 2005 UK QFE2.

If you have been using Sunset for some time you are out on a limb and will have to climb back somehow. It is rare for Sunset to be able to open a UK data file at all.

Ideally, install Money 2005 UK QFE2, open your latest UK data file (from the last time you were able to use Money 2005) and re-enter data since that file was last used.

If you have entered much data into Sunset you could use the qif export/import procedure under the "Regional versions" heading. Export all the data from your current Sunset data file and import it to either Money 2005 UK QFE2 or a fresh Sunset data file.

Monday, January 27, 2014 9:03 PM
  • many thanks for that.  I have tried overlaying the QFE2 update on a fresh version 14 install, but it won't open my .mny file (says the password is incorrect).  The same file will open in Sunset and I have been using that for a few months now, so too long to re-enter data.  But sunset is cludgy - says it is missing components and I can't find a way, for example, to change exchange rates without getting that error message.

Can't understand why the same file opens using the (correct) password in Sunset, but not in version 14?  My .mny file is large (60+ MB) so would the export/import data route be likely to work?

Monday, January 27, 2014 10:42 PM
  • Throw your disk away and just keep a secure copy of the QFE2 file - that is all you need.

Old versions of Money cannot open data files from newer versions: the file format is updated on each release. Sunset is Money 18, Money 2005 is Money 14. The message about passwords is just showing Money 2005's inability to understand the Money 18 data file format.

The qif procedure seems to be your only route out of the problems you have created. It is tedious: you must reopen any closed accounts to be able to export their data and preserve full and correct transaction history.

Monday, January 27, 2014 11:36 PM