ProjectServer 2010 - Create Project Web App Site - Failed - see the Application event Log RRS feed

• Question

• Good afternoon!

There are 2 servers:

1. Application Server - OS: Windows Server 2008 R2 x64
    2. DB server - OS: Windows Server 2008 R2 x64, SQL2005 X64 SP3 CU8

On Application server installed SharePoint 2010 and ProjectServer 2010, databases in SQL2005 on a separate server.

I done complete installation with creation of a new farm. After, launch the wizard who customised services and web applications. So after that I can use my SharePoint without problem.

The problem arises at attempt to create Project Web App Site, after I press Create button, creation process passes less minute, and after that I see error: Failed - see the Application event Log

In SPS logs I found the following:

06.30.2010 16:59:26.73    OWSTIMER.EXE (0x0858)    0x0958    Project Server    Provisioning    6421    Information    Provisioning 'PWA': Beginning 'Create' operation for PWA instance.    01f0af62-1efb-4239-afc6-7b110929a148

06.30.2010 16:59:26.73    OWSTIMER.EXE (0x0858)    0x0958    Project Server    Provisioning    6954    Information    Starting provisioning of site 'PWA'.    01f0af62-1efb-4239-afc6-7b110929a148

06.30.2010 16:59:26.82    OWSTIMER.EXE (0x0858)    0x0958    Project Server    Provisioning    6945    Information    Creating site for 'PWA'.    01f0af62-1efb-4239-afc6-7b110929a148

06.30.2010 16:59:26.83    OWSTIMER.EXE (0x0858)    0x0958    Project Server    Provisioning    6946    Information    Provisioning 'PWA': Creating SharePoint site for Project Web App instance.    01f0af62-1efb-4239-afc6-7b110929a148

06.30.2010 16:59:26.83    OWSTIMER.EXE (0x0858)    0x0958    Project Server    Provisioning    6950    Critical    Provisioning 'PWA': Failed to create SharePoint site. Exception 'System.ArgumentException: Could not find membership provider SERVICE at Microsoft.Office.Project.Server.ClaimsHelper.ConvertAccountFormat(String account) at Microsoft.Office.Project.Server.Administration.PsiServiceApplication.CreateWSSSite(ProjectProvisionSettings provset, SPWebApplication parentWebApp, String adminName, String adminEmail, String secondaryAdminLogin, String secondaryAdminName, String secondaryAdminEmail, SPSiteStatus& siteStatus)'.    01f0af62-1efb-4239-afc6-7b110929a148

06.30.2010 16:59:26.83    OWSTIMER.EXE (0x0858)    0x0958    Project Server    Provisioning    6971    Critical    Failed to provision site PWA with error: System.ArgumentException: Could not find membership provider SERVICE at Microsoft.Office.Project.Server.ClaimsHelper.ConvertAccountFormat(String account) at Microsoft.Office.Project.Server.Administration.PsiServiceApplication.CreateWSSSite(ProjectProvisionSettings provset, SPWebApplication parentWebApp, String adminName, String adminEmail, String secondaryAdminLogin, String secondaryAdminName, String secondaryAdminEmail, SPSiteStatus& siteStatus)    01f0af62-1efb-4239-afc6-7b110929a148

06.30.2010 16:59:26.93    OWSTIMER.EXE (0x0858)    0x0958    Project Server    Provisioning    6944    Information    Provisioning 'PWA': Ending Create operation for PWA instance.    01f0af62-1efb-4239-afc6-7b110929a148

Please help!

Wednesday, June 30, 2010 5:08 PM

Answers

• Hello Anatolii

My recommendation to resolving this is to uninstall and then re-install.

I would first uninstall project server and then uninstall sharepoint.  I would then delete all the sharepoint content and configuration datbases frrom sql server, including the project server databases.

Then reinstall and read through and log all the steps and answers you perform.

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc197479.aspx

I also found that MSProjectExperts new book, "Implementing and Adminstrating Project Server 2010".  It's a great resource for this and many other things.

There may be other book, but that is the one source I used and they did a good job with.   I welcome comments for others who know of other books for installation.

Cheer!

Michael Wharton, MBA, PMP,MCT

Sincerely, Michael Wharton, MBA, PMP, MCT, MCSD, MCSE+I, MCDBA www.WhartonComputer.com
    Friday, July 2, 2010 9:19 PM
  • Hi Anatolii,

ConvertAccountFormat is the function we use internally to convert account formats from what you may be using to our internal representation (which is based on Claims). The error you are getting is that you are providing the authentication provider name "SERVICE", and my guess is that that provider has not been registered with SharePoint. Can you check if that is the case?

Thanks,

Boaz Lev

MSFT

Friday, July 2, 2010 11:16 PM
  • Since the same steps worked fine on other domain..I suspect group policy may be a cause.

--Create a new server, do not join with domain, Install everything through administrator account - Observe the behaviour

--If it works

-Disconnect from the farm, join the server to the domain, create new farm using your service account - Observe the behaviour

--If it doesn't work

-Compare the operating system installation between your Test and production

Cheers. Happy troubleshooting !!! Sriram E - MSFT Enterprise Project Management
    Monday, July 5, 2010 8:10 PM

All replies

• Can anyone said that he have working configuration like this?

1. WS 2008 R2 X64 + SPS 2010 + PS 2010

2. WS 2008 R2 X64 + SQL 2005 X64 SP3 CU8

Thanks!

Thursday, July 1, 2010 8:57 AM
  • Ensure Project application Service started under  : App mgmt, Manager services

If no, start the project service, make it in default proxy.

Ensure Project Service application created at : App Mgmt, Manage Service applications

If no, click New and create Project Service application and put in default proxy.

I hope you created "Clssic mode web application" for Project Web App.

If claims, create another one with classic mode.

Cheers. Happy troubleshooting !!!

Thanks Sriram E - MSFT Enterprise Project Management
    Thursday, July 1, 2010 1:42 PM
  • Sriram ,

Project Application Service started, created, and it in default proxy.

Please explain, what mean "Classic mode web application"??

Thanks!

Thursday, July 1, 2010 5:15 PM
  • When you create new web application, you need to select whether it is Classic or Claims. (Classic=windows, claims=Forms)

Ensure it is Classic mode.

Are you able to create site collection manually under that web application?

Could not find membership provider SERVICE at Microsoft.Office.Project.Server.ClaimsHelper.ConvertAccountFormat

Have you tried to provision the PWA using different account?

Can you run the config wizard once and check the behaviour?

Thursday, July 1, 2010 9:01 PM
  • Sriram ,

1. When create new Web App, I choose Classic

2. Yes, I can

3. Yes, I try many times to provide different accounts:

domainadmin: domain admin | local admin

mossadmin: domain user | local admin

4. Yes, I run Configuration Wizard once again, but have the same result...

Here my complete steps on Application Server:

Install software prerequisites
    Install SharePoint Server
    Enter Product Key
    Read License
    Choose 'Server Farm'
    Select 'Complete'
    Install Now
    Successfully completed

Install Project Server
    Enter Product Key
    Read License
    Install Now
    Successfully completed

Run the SharePoint Products Configuration Wizard
    Create a new server farm
    Provide DB server and DB Access Account (preconfigured, server roles: dbcreator, public, securityadmin, sysadmin)
    Enter Passphrase
    Specify port number: 8000
    Choose auth provider: NTLM

Configuring SharePoint Products >>> Successful

Configure your SharePoint farm: Start the Wizard
    Service Account: Create new managed account (preconfigured, has local admin rights)
    Services: All, except Lotus Notes Connector

Next >>> Successful

Create a new top-level Web site (provide title, and template)
    Press 'OK' >>> Successful (can navigate to top-level web site, no alerts see in central administration)

Go to Manage services on server:

Access Database Service  Started  Stop 
    Application Registry Service  Started  Stop 
    Business Data Connectivity Service  Started  Stop 
    Central Administration  Started  Stop 
    Claims to Windows Token Service  Stopped  Start 
    Document Conversions Launcher Service  Stopped  Start 
    Document Conversions Load Balancer Service  Stopped  Start 
    Excel Calculation Services  Started  Stop 
    Lotus Notes Connector  Stopped  Start 
    Managed Metadata Web Service  Started  Stop 
    Microsoft SharePoint Foundation Incoming E-Mail  Started  Stop 
    Microsoft SharePoint Foundation Sandboxed Code Service  Stopped  Start 
    Microsoft SharePoint Foundation Subscription Settings Service  Stopped  Start 
    Microsoft SharePoint Foundation Web Application  Started  Stop 
    Microsoft SharePoint Foundation Workflow Timer Service  Started  Stop 
    PerformancePoint Service  Started  Stop 
    Project Application Service  Started  Stop 
    Search Query and Site Settings Service  Started  Stop 
    Secure Store Service  Started  Stop 
    SharePoint Foundation Search  Stopped  Start 
    SharePoint Server Search  Started  Stop 
    User Profile Service  Started  Stop 
    User Profile Synchronization Service  Stopped  Start 
    Visio Graphics Service  Started  Stop 
    Web Analytics Data Processing Service  Started  Stop 
    Web Analytics Web Service  Started  Stop 
    Word Automation Services  Started  Stop 

Go to Manage service applications:
    Name Type Status
    Access Services  Access Services Web Service Application Started
    Access Services  Access Services Web Service Application Proxy Started
    Application Discovery and Load Balancer Service Application  Application Discovery and Load Balancer Service Application Started
    Application Discovery and Load Balancer Service Application Proxy_9e65946e-fdde-4d4c-80d8-1d633148beee  Application Discovery and Load Balancer Service Application Proxy Started
    Application Registry Service  Application Registry Service Started
    Application Registry Service  Application Registry Proxy Started
    Business Data Connectivity Service  Business Data Connectivity Service Application Started
    Business Data Connectivity Service  Business Data Connectivity Service Application Proxy Started
    Excel Services Application  Excel Services Application Web Service Application Started
    Excel Services Application  Excel Services Application Web Service Application Proxy Started
    Managed Metadata Service  Managed Metadata Service Started
    Managed Metadata Service  Managed Metadata Service Connection Started
    PerformancePoint Service Application  PerformancePoint Service Application Started
    PerformancePoint Service Application  PerformancePoint Service Application Proxy Started
    Project Server Service Application  Project Server PSI Service Application Started
    Project Server Service Application  Project Server PSI Service Proxy Started
    Search Administration Web Service for Search Service Application  Search Administration Web Service Application Started
    Search Service Application  Search Service Application Started
    Search Service Application  Search Service Application Proxy Started
    Secure Store Service  Secure Store Service Application Started
    Secure Store Service  Secure Store Service Application Proxy Started
    Security Token Service Application  Security Token Service Application Started
    State Service  State Service Started
    State Service  State Service Proxy Started
    Usage and Health data collection  Usage and Health Data Collection Service Application Started
    Usage and Health data collection  Usage and Health Data Collection Proxy Started
    User Profile Service Application  User Profile Service Application Started
    User Profile Service Application  User Profile Service Application Proxy Started
    Visio Graphics Service  Visio Graphics Service Application Started
    Visio Graphics Service  Visio Graphics Service Application Proxy Started
    Web Analytics Service Application  Web Analytics Service Application Started
    Web Analytics Service Application  Web Analytics Service Application Proxy Started
    Word Automation Services  Word Automation Services Started
    Word Automation Services  Word Automation Services Proxy Started

Press Project Server Service Application
    Create Project Web App Site
    Provide needed info, press 'OK' >>> Failed - see the Application event Log

Errors:
    07.02.2010 13:07:33.96    OWSTIMER.EXE (0x0F18)    0x11E8    Project Server    Provisioning    6950    Critical    Provisioning 'project': Failed to create SharePoint site. Exception 'System.ArgumentException: Could not find membership provider SERVICE     at Microsoft.Office.Project.Server.ClaimsHelper.ConvertAccountFormat(String account)     at Microsoft.Office.Project.Server.Administration.PsiServiceApplication.CreateWSSSite(ProjectProvisionSettings provset, SPWebApplication parentWebApp, String adminName, String adminEmail, String secondaryAdminLogin, String secondaryAdminName, String secondaryAdminEmail, SPSiteStatus& siteStatus)'.    bc3f1caa-0712-4ca8-a00a-73d2ee5c9cf7
    07.02.2010 13:07:33.99    OWSTIMER.EXE (0x0F18)    0x11E8    Project Server    Provisioning    6971    Critical    Failed to provision site project with error: System.ArgumentException: Could not find membership provider SERVICE     at Microsoft.Office.Project.Server.ClaimsHelper.ConvertAccountFormat(String account)     at Microsoft.Office.Project.Server.Administration.PsiServiceApplication.CreateWSSSite(ProjectProvisionSettings provset, SPWebApplication parentWebApp, String adminName, String adminEmail, String secondaryAdminLogin, String secondaryAdminName, String secondaryAdminEmail, SPSiteStatus& siteStatus)    bc3f1caa-0712-4ca8-a00a-73d2ee5c9cf7

Friday, July 2, 2010 10:18 AM
  • If it is a brand new setup, i may try the following

Delete / create Project server service application

Central admin --> Application management --> Manage Service applications

-->Select projectserver service application --> Delete "Delete data associated with service applications"

Click New , create new service application with the appropriate windows account

Friday, July 2, 2010 4:35 PM
  • Sriram, thanks for your answer!

This is brand new setup.

For now I delete service application with associated data,

reboot my server (just for sure), create new one and try one more time to create PWA site.

But I have still the same error...

Today I saw another error:

Load control template file /_controltemplates/TaxonomyPicker.ascx failed: Could not load type 'Microsoft.SharePoint.Portal.WebControls.TaxonomyPicker' from assembly 'Microsoft.SharePoint.Portal, Version=14.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=71e9bce111e9429c'.

But I quickly fix it by this helpful topic .

Friday, July 2, 2010 5:38 PM
  • Not sure this help, but I find words 'ConvertAccountFormat' in this DLL file:

%systemdrive%\Program Files\Microsoft Office Servers\14.0\Bin\Microsoft.Office.Project.Server.Workflow.dll

Friday, July 2, 2010 5:41 PM
  • Hello Anatolii

My recommendation to resolving this is to uninstall and then re-install.

I would first uninstall project server and then uninstall sharepoint.  I would then delete all the sharepoint content and configuration datbases frrom sql server, including the project server databases.

Then reinstall and read through and log all the steps and answers you perform.

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc197479.aspx

I also found that MSProjectExperts new book, "Implementing and Adminstrating Project Server 2010".  It's a great resource for this and many other things.

There may be other book, but that is the one source I used and they did a good job with.   I welcome comments for others who know of other books for installation.

Cheer!

Michael Wharton, MBA, PMP,MCT

Sincerely, Michael Wharton, MBA, PMP, MCT, MCSD, MCSE+I, MCDBA www.WhartonComputer.com
    Friday, July 2, 2010 9:19 PM
  • Hi Anatolii,

ConvertAccountFormat is the function we use internally to convert account formats from what you may be using to our internal representation (which is based on Claims). The error you are getting is that you are providing the authentication provider name "SERVICE", and my guess is that that provider has not been registered with SharePoint. Can you check if that is the case?

Thanks,

Boaz Lev

MSFT

Friday, July 2, 2010 11:16 PM
  • Hi all!

Michael,

Since last week I only do that install and re-install SPS and SP on my server with variously configuration, but problem is persist.

Think the problem is much deeper.

Boaz,

I can check this if you give me a way how to do it.

Yesterday, I setup new test 2008R2 server, but in other AD domain.

Specially don't install any updates from MSFT, just install software prerequisites from SPS media, after do the same actions described above.

And in the end have positive result, PWA site successfully created.

Another thing - I use Hyper-V R2 environment for all my machines, can this fact do some changes in my case?

Thanks for your replies!

complete log , pass: P@ssw0rd

Saturday, July 3, 2010 12:37 PM
  • This is list of critical errors of two servers in different domains (setup synchronously)

First - successfully create PWA:

07.03.2010 17:30:00.57    OWSTIMER.EXE (0x0D7C)    0x0DAC    SharePoint Foundation    Database    3760    Critical    SQL Database 'WSS_Logging' on SQL Server instance 'SQLACCOUNT' not found. Additional error information from SQL Server is included below.  Cannot open database "WSS_Logging" requested by the login. The login failed.  Login failed for user 'DOMAIN\mossdb'.    30d4558e-2256-4123-9c9c-ab599bd69c6f

Second - error:

07.03.2010 17:37:19.76    OWSTIMER.EXE (0x0FE8)    0x0EA8    SharePoint Foundation    Database    5586    Critical    Unknown SQL Exception 2812 occurred. Additional error information from SQL Server is included below.  Could not find stored procedure 'dbo.Search_GetRecentStats'.    b0ea6906-4ae6-4e68-88e7-d41924753792
    07.03.2010 17:37:19.78    OWSTIMER.EXE (0x0FE8)    0x0EA8    SharePoint Foundation    Timer    6398    Critical    The Execute method of job definition Microsoft.Office.Server.Search.Monitoring.HealthStatUpdateJobDefinition (ID a9aa81b5-64e9-49de-8661-a96464a7ce76) threw an exception. More information is included below.  Could not find stored procedure 'dbo.Search_GetRecentStats'.    b0ea6906-4ae6-4e68-88e7-d41924753792
    07.03.2010 17:41:25.57    OWSTIMER.EXE (0x0FE8)    0x09DC    Project Server    Provisioning    6950    Critical    Provisioning 'PWA': Failed to create SharePoint site. Exception 'System.ArgumentException: Could not find membership provider SERVICE     at Microsoft.Office.Project.Server.ClaimsHelper.ConvertAccountFormat(String account)     at Microsoft.Office.Project.Server.Administration.PsiServiceApplication.CreateWSSSite(ProjectProvisionSettings provset, SPWebApplication parentWebApp, String adminName, String adminEmail, String secondaryAdminLogin, String secondaryAdminName, String secondaryAdminEmail, SPSiteStatus& siteStatus)'.    2b357e23-8525-47cb-9266-45c2ceb51740
    07.03.2010 17:41:25.57    OWSTIMER.EXE (0x0FE8)    0x09DC    Project Server    Provisioning    6971    Critical    Failed to provision site PWA with error: System.ArgumentException: Could not find membership provider SERVICE     at Microsoft.Office.Project.Server.ClaimsHelper.ConvertAccountFormat(String account)     at Microsoft.Office.Project.Server.Administration.PsiServiceApplication.CreateWSSSite(ProjectProvisionSettings provset, SPWebApplication parentWebApp, String adminName, String adminEmail, String secondaryAdminLogin, String secondaryAdminName, String secondaryAdminEmail, SPSiteStatus& siteStatus)    2b357e23-8525-47cb-9266-45c2ceb51740

Saturday, July 3, 2010 2:49 PM
  • Since the same steps worked fine on other domain..I suspect group policy may be a cause.

--Create a new server, do not join with domain, Install everything through administrator account - Observe the behaviour

--If it works

-Disconnect from the farm, join the server to the domain, create new farm using your service account - Observe the behaviour

--If it doesn't work

-Compare the operating system installation between your Test and production

Monday, July 5, 2010 8:10 PM
  • Sriram, thank you for your help!

Today, just few minutes before my problem has been fixed!

The problem has been in one of the account used for SPS deploy (total use 3 accounts: mossadmin, mosssrv, mossdb).

After they created I renamed one of it to different name, think from this point begin my problems.

Today we (our dev team joined to help me) understand that problem is in authentication or something close to this,

and my last steps been is recreating all accounts that I create before used for SPS and PS deployment.

So after that, I restore from backup clean system and reinstall SPS and PS, do initiation configuration,

and after successfully created PWA site. Now I feel very happy :)

So thanks all to take a part in this case!!!

• Proposed as answer by rvallecillo Tuesday, December 7, 2010 11:12 PM
    Monday, July 5, 2010 8:40 PM
  • We managed to get around this error using the Project Manager's alias instead of the Farm Admin account when creating the Project Server Application.

It worked in our case....

Ricardo Vallecillo
    Tuesday, December 7, 2010 11:15 PM
  • When you try to migrate you must asegurate that not exist Forms autentication Users,

For more information visit

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ee662496
    http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ee662499(office.14)
    http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ee662500(office.14)

Here you find a script that verify this situation

Or my post whit other errors

http://letrasandnumeros.com/2012/10/06/migracion-de-project-server-2007-a-project-server-2010/

Saturday, October 6, 2012 6:09 AM