none
Powershell While/Until RRS feed

• Question

• Probably a simple answer but...

Writing a simple script to test connectivity to a device. I need it to loop back and  ask for another name of the connection fails OR let me know if it was successful.

If you have a successful attempt on the 1st try I cannot get it to write the verification. If it fails the 1st time, it will work perfect... le sigh

Here is what I have:

$GET_DEVICE_NAME = Read-Host "Please enter the device you verifing connection to"
    $testConnection = Test-Connection $GET_DEVICE_NAME -Quiet

while($testConnection -eq $false)
    { Write-Host "Unable to locate  $GET_DEVICE_NAME Please verify name and connectivity."
      do{
      $GET_DEVICE_NAME = Read-Host "Please enter the device you are backing up"
        }
      Until($testConnection=Test-Connection $GET_DEVICE_NAME -Quiet)
      if($testConnection -eq $true)
      {
      Write-Host "$GET_DEVICE_NAME connection is verified"    
      break;}
    }

• Moved by Bill_Stewart Monday, July 29, 2019 8:01 PM Abandoned
    Thursday, December 20, 2018 4:45 PM

All replies

• Hi Luther ..

you got the script right. I do not see any issues with this. Let me know if you have any specific question. 

Below is a nice article on Powershell using Do .. Until .. see if this useful for fine tuning your script.  

https://blogs.technet.microsoft.com/heyscriptingguy/2014/05/06/powershell-looping-understanding-and-using-dountil/ 

Hope this helps...

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Please don't forget to “mark the replies as answers if they helped, also set "like" it’s a boost for us to keep blogging J

Click here to learn more. Visit the dedicated Community forum to shareexplore and talk to experts about Microsoft Kaizala.

• Proposed as answer by Mike Crowley Thursday, December 20, 2018 9:07 PM
    Thursday, December 20, 2018 4:52 PM
  • It looks correct to me as well... however...

If I put a device in that will id true it "Should" go to

Write-Host "$GET_DEVICE_NAME connection is verified" 

and it doesn't.

If you type in a false it will write-host  "Please enter the device you verifying connection to" correctly.

After a one false, if you put in a true it will display Write-Host "$GET_DEVICE_NAME connection is verified"  ??

I hope I am describing it correctly...

Thursday, December 20, 2018 5:59 PM
  • I see .. Can you try this method ..

https://blogs.technet.microsoft.com/heyscriptingguy/2014/05/06/powershell-looping-understanding-and-using-dountil/ 

Thursday, December 20, 2018 6:09 PM