Administrator Account Used, Not Recognized to Make Changes; Downloaded Windows Live OneCare, Error 0x0C600C03, Windows Live OneCare Won't Uninstall, Can't Use Windows Live One Care Clean Up Tool, Says Must Have Administrator Privileges to Run. RRS feed

• Question

• I also posted on Windows 7 Forums Programs

Administrator account used, not recognized to make changes; Downloaded Windows Live OneCare, error 0x0C600C03, Windows Live OneCare won't uninstall, can't use Windows Live One Care Clean Up Tool, says must have Administrator privileges to run.

I have Windows 7.  I downloaded Windows Live OneCare and it would not work.  I received error 0x0C600C03.  Then I learned Windows Live OneCare would not work on a 64 bit system and is not compatible with Windows 7.  I attempted to uninstall it and it would not uninstall.  I tried to use the Windows Live One Care Clean Up Tool and it says I must have administrator privileges to run this tool.  I am the administrator.  Any help on how to uninstall Windows Live OneCare is greatly appreciated.  If anymore information is needed to help resolve this, please let me know.

Sunday, July 4, 2010 7:34 PM

Answers

• If you attempted to install OneCare on a Windows 7 machine, there is no cleanup to perform. OneCare cannot even begin to install on Windows 7 of any flavor and will fail.

If, however, a Vista machine with OneCare installed was upgraded to Windows 7 using the upgrade option and you did not remove OneCare first, you would indeed have a problem removing the broken OneCare, which would fail to run. And, the cleanup tool would also fail to run in that scenario.

-steve

~ Microsoft MVP Windows Live ~ Windows Live OneCare| Live Mesh|MS Security Essentials Forums Moderator ~
    Tuesday, July 6, 2010 12:17 PM

All replies

• Right click the downloaded cleanup tool and select "Run as Administrator".

Jim

Microsoft MVP Consumer Security - Forum Moderator - Live One Care - Live Mesh - Microsoft Security Essentials
    Sunday, July 4, 2010 10:58 PM
  • Thank you, this did not work though.  I contacted live help and I think it's fixed now. 
    Monday, July 5, 2010 8:29 AM
  • If you attempted to install OneCare on a Windows 7 machine, there is no cleanup to perform. OneCare cannot even begin to install on Windows 7 of any flavor and will fail.

If, however, a Vista machine with OneCare installed was upgraded to Windows 7 using the upgrade option and you did not remove OneCare first, you would indeed have a problem removing the broken OneCare, which would fail to run. And, the cleanup tool would also fail to run in that scenario.

-steve

~ Microsoft MVP Windows Live ~ Windows Live OneCare| Live Mesh|MS Security Essentials Forums Moderator ~
    Tuesday, July 6, 2010 12:17 PM