Windows Home Server Connect Software - bad password? RRS feed

• Question

• After setting up my home server and the user accounts, I am able to remotely log in via the remote access webpage with my username and password.  But when I install the Home Connect Software on my Vista Ultimate pc, it prompts me for my server password and then says the password I have entered is incorrect.  Any ideas on what might be causing this? I am able to access the shares and read/write to them, and I have my login for the server set up exactly the same as my login on my local pc.

Monday, February 26, 2007 11:31 PM

Answers

• It turned out to be a problem due to leaving the Administrator password as a blank.  I hit the enter key rapidly the first time I logged on and skipped through the password changing process.  It didn't seem to have any adverse affect so I didn't bother to change it to something else.  After changing it to a real password and entering that password into the connect software, I was finally able to establish a connection.
    Friday, March 2, 2007 3:37 AM

All replies

• Have you checked to make sure that caps lock or something silly like that is happening. Try backspacing in the field and then type the password. I had an install give me the same message because a space automatically was entered at the beginning of the field.
    Tuesday, February 27, 2007 12:48 AM
  • This password won't be the same as your user account password, I don't think, but rather the Administrator password that you set the very first time you login.  If your user account and password are set correctly, you could still access the shares, but you wouldn't be able to connect to the console.  At first login, once you hit ctrl+alt+delete, it says your password is blank and needs to be set.  That's the one you're looking for, I think.
    Tuesday, February 27, 2007 4:13 AM
  • I used my admin password and it connected just fine.
    Tuesday, February 27, 2007 6:20 PM
  • Yes the connector wants the Admin password.  It is sorta confusing and has been bugged :)

Still......Grey

Tuesday, February 27, 2007 7:00 PM
  • I had the same issue and was unable to complete the connector install on my Vista Home Premium.  In my case, I had to add the server IP address as a trusted site in my Norton Internet Security.  Once done, password was accepted and install completed with full access.
    Thursday, March 1, 2007 8:22 PM
  • It turned out to be a problem due to leaving the Administrator password as a blank.  I hit the enter key rapidly the first time I logged on and skipped through the password changing process.  It didn't seem to have any adverse affect so I didn't bother to change it to something else.  After changing it to a real password and entering that password into the connect software, I was finally able to establish a connection.
    Friday, March 2, 2007 3:37 AM
  • I had a similar problem that showed up after I changed the user ID for the Administrator account.  After I changed the user ID, I got a message that the password was incorrect when I tried to connect via the connector.  I could browse to the server and access only the allowed directories.  I tried resetting the admin password without luck.  Once I changed the admin user ID back to 'Administrator' everything worked fine again.
    Sunday, March 4, 2007 3:26 AM
  • Just to record also that after completing the dialog to correct the password mismatch, the tray icon remains yellow despite getting the green tick in the password dialog.

Been like this a while so I guess the tray icon does not check except at start-up? I would expect it to go green and tell me all is now well in the world.

Sunday, March 4, 2007 3:47 PM