Erasing a RW DVD RRS feed

• Question

• I want to rewrite a DVD that was used by the backup/restore function in Live Onecare.

The Wizzard refuses to erase the DVD and ends the process. The demand to erase was done after right click

on the DVD device.

Is there a way to achieve this?

thanks for help.

Thursday, December 27, 2007 4:08 PM

Answers

• Erasing a DVD-RW is not a function of OneCare, and be aware that OneCare may refuse to write to a re-used RW disc. The problem would seem to be a Windows issue or a problem with your burner's firmware. If you have other CD/DVD burning software such as Nero, Roxio, or similar 3rd party products, see if you can erase the disk using the 3rd party program as this erase feature in Windows XP has always been a bit flaky, in my experience.

-steve

Thursday, December 27, 2007 5:50 PM

All replies

• Erasing a DVD-RW is not a function of OneCare, and be aware that OneCare may refuse to write to a re-used RW disc. The problem would seem to be a Windows issue or a problem with your burner's firmware. If you have other CD/DVD burning software such as Nero, Roxio, or similar 3rd party products, see if you can erase the disk using the 3rd party program as this erase feature in Windows XP has always been a bit flaky, in my experience.

-steve

Thursday, December 27, 2007 5:50 PM
  • Thanks Stephen for your reaction.

I used a 3rd party software and it worked out.

fransemiel

Friday, December 28, 2007 7:56 PM
  • Glad that it worked for you. Thanks for reporting back.

-steve

Friday, December 28, 2007 8:21 PM
  •  

Hey Steve!

Quick question - do you know of any third party software, such as Nero, that will format a DVD+RW such that it can be reused in OneCare full/incremental backups?

Thanks a lot!

Gene

Wednesday, March 5, 2008 4:28 AM
  • Actually, my advice is to not use the more expensive RW media as OneCare generally dislikes RW media and hates erased RW media even more.

If you've tried erasing the disc with your current software and OneCare balks, then I think you're best bet is to use a new, cheaper R media disc.

-steve

Monday, March 10, 2008 12:58 AM