Some really stupid questions to help me understand what's happening: Restore wizard can't find my server (no ip address allocated) RRS feed

• Question

• I'm running Vista64 bit and when running the restore wizard it get can't find the server: Other 32 bit pcs work fine.
    q1: What os is running when I'm running the restore wizard?
    q2:Is the above running 32bit or 64bit?
    q3:I copied the drivers from the restored image to a usb. What os are these drivers? 32 or 64bit?
    q4:The restore wizard finds my network adapter from drivers on the CD but I believe these aren't working because it never gets an ip address allocated from my dhcp server.
    q5:How can i get the restore cd to use different drivers? (remember it thinks the ones it has found are ok, but there are not)

Well that's all for now... I'm trying to sort this out myself but as can be seen from above I don't have much of an understanding on the basics yet.
    Is there anyone who can help me here?

Mick

Michael D Baker
    Tuesday, April 7, 2009 10:13 AM

Answers

• I've hit on a solution that I'm comforable with that may not suit everyone. In bought a usb/ethernet adapter. On running the recovery CD, the new device wasn't found but it did find the drivers on my usb memory stick. It subsequently connected first time to my whs.

Job done.

I can also use this solution for all my Pcs.. should I get a similar problem..

It's a SITECOME network usb 2.0 adapter  LN-030.
    Michael D Baker
    • Marked as answer by mick171 Saturday, April 11, 2009 4:33 PM
    Saturday, April 11, 2009 4:33 PM

All replies

• Hi Mike,

q1: 32bit WinPE

q2: 32bit

q3: You can't use the drivers from the backup, you need to get 32bit drivers here

q4: Are you running a realtek chip? Then please download the windows 2003-32bit drivers and use these
          http://www.realtek.com.tw/downloads/downloadsView.aspx?Langid=1&PNid=14&PFid=7&Level=5&Conn=4&DownTypeID=3&GetDown=false

q5: You can manually force other drivers. When the detect hardware dialog is shown, click on "show details...", then on "install drivers..."

Regards
    Martin
    Tuesday, April 7, 2009 1:07 PM
  • Many thanks Martin for your swift reply.

My adapters are Realtek RTL8168B/8111B PCI-E.
    Booting from the CD, the screen shows it has found 2 Realtek RTL8186/8111 adapters. But they fail to get an ip address from my dhcp server.
    I downloaded the drivers from your url above and said install but the process failed to find any drivers from my usb stick.

My problem appears to be that the drivers being installed from the CD are wrong, and I don't get a chance to install better working drivers.

Is my solution to put the drivers download from the website on the cd image and cut another CD?
    Michael D Baker
    Tuesday, April 7, 2009 2:10 PM
  • You need these drivers (my URL was only an example):
    http://www.realtek.com.tw/downloads/downloadsView.aspx?Langid=1&PNid=13&PFid=5&Level=5&Conn=4&DownTypeID=3&GetDown=false

Select the "WinXP (WinServer 2003) Driver".

You have to put the driver on a floppy disk or an USB stick.

And please try both NICs (connect  the first to your router, start restore, should this not work, then try the second).

Regards
    Martin
    LightsOut - Power Management for Windows Home Server http://www.home-server-blog.de/add-ins/lightsout/#en
    Tuesday, April 7, 2009 6:46 PM
  • Thanks again for your swift reply.

I did as you asked and it made no difference.

I don't believe this approach will ever work becuase by the time I get a chance to use my new drivers, the process has already used the drivers on the CD to activate the NICs. Are you saying that you that the code will search for drivers for devices it has already installed and if found replace the ones its currently using... surely not.. Please can you confirm your understanding of this point?

What I need to do is something like when you install a new os, hit F6 for new drivers.. I tried that and that didn't work either!
    Michael D Baker
    Wednesday, April 8, 2009 12:49 PM
  • As a practical matter:
    • Remove the drive from the PC you're trying to restore.
    • Connect it to some other PC that's been joined to your server, using an appropriate USB bridge device.
    • Run C:\Program Files\Windows Home Server\ClientRestoreWizard.exe.
    This is exactly the same tool as the restore CD, just running inside a full version of Windows instead of WinPE.

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Wednesday, April 8, 2009 6:03 PM
  • Thanks Ken... useful information.

However i've got around the problem doing domething simliar. I have multiple os running on my PC so I booted into another os, and copied the backup version of the windows directory from whs and dumped it on the disk(os) which I was having problems. It would have been neater to do it the way you have suggested above... doh

Ok practical problem over.

However before I ditch Acronis I need to get this working with my Pc:

My problem seems to stem from the fact the drivers on the recovery disk for my ethernet adapters don't work and their doesn't seem to be an obvious way to make the recovery wizard use the correct ones.

It would have been better if the recovery process had found NO suitable network drivers because their seems to be a process to resolve that, but not when the recovery process finds what it considers suitable drivers that don't actually work.

Any ideas?
    Michael D Baker
    • Marked as answer by mick171 Saturday, April 11, 2009 4:27 PM
    • Unmarked as answer by mick171 Saturday, April 11, 2009 4:33 PM
    Wednesday, April 8, 2009 6:24 PM
  • I've hit on a solution that I'm comforable with that may not suit everyone. In bought a usb/ethernet adapter. On running the recovery CD, the new device wasn't found but it did find the drivers on my usb memory stick. It subsequently connected first time to my whs.

Job done.

I can also use this solution for all my Pcs.. should I get a similar problem..

It's a SITECOME network usb 2.0 adapter  LN-030.
    Michael D Baker
    • Marked as answer by mick171 Saturday, April 11, 2009 4:33 PM
    Saturday, April 11, 2009 4:33 PM