More granular cntrl over days that PCs backup RRS feed

• Question

• Is there anyway to set PC #1 to b/u only on Mon, Tues, Wed, Fri, but not on Thurs, Sat, Sun and PC #2 to b/u on some other sched?
    If not there should be!
    Maybe a plug-in?

Thx
    RG
    Sunday, September 6, 2009 2:23 PM

All replies

• No. But if a computer is not turned on, it won't back up. And if a computer is backed up on a day when you think it doesn't need to be, presumably there will be little data changed so there will be almost nothing backed up.

You can also submit a product suggestion on Connect .
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Sunday, September 6, 2009 2:35 PM
  • An "OFF" Pc is out of scope for the question I *meant to* ask!
    The idea is that one would not want a PC to backup when you are working on it due to the sloooow down.  For example most folks are off Sat & Sun so they may not want to b/u on those days.
    Just looking for a bit more control over when a PC is (is not) backed up.
    Tuesday, September 8, 2009 4:38 AM
  • You could eventually control the Windows Home Server Connector Service with a Scheduled task, which takes it off at a certain time - or manually with appropriate scripts.
    With Gigabit Ethernet the influence of Backup is not too remarkable anyway, and a differential backup is quickly run.
    Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf
    Tuesday, September 8, 2009 8:17 AM
  • As I said, there is no control at this level built into the product. ("No." :) )

And I disagree that turning a PC off is "out of scope" for the question. It's an alternate way to control when, or whether, a PC backs up.

As for a PC slowing down when a backup is running, an extremely low-powered PC (single core, slow processor, not much memory, etc.) might show some performance degradation during certain parts of a backup. The user always has the option of postponing or cancelling the backup, though.

I really do recommend submitting a product suggestion on Connect, though.

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Tuesday, September 8, 2009 3:51 PM