Backup time is 11AM-2AM, but never starts before 4PM RRS feed

• Question

• I have my backup time set to 11am to 2am, but client backups never start earlier than 4pm.

Anyone know why this is the case?

Does the system start a backup when there is lower loading on the client?

Thanks in advance.
    Tuesday, December 16, 2008 11:13 PM

Answers

• Per Microsoft, the backup starts at a random time chosen by the client. From observation that time is in the first half of the window. In your situation, 4:00 PM is still in the first half of the window, so I don't see any obvious reason to think something is wrong. One set of questions though: what time zone are you in, is your server set to that time zone, and are your clients set to that time zone?

In addition to when a backup starts, if there's a backup already running, the PC will queue up and wait until the current one finishes. If it reaches the end of the window and hasn't started, it will fail to back up at all. In that case it seems like it will tend to choose a time very near the beginning of the window for it's next backup attempt.
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    • Marked as answer by Alex Barimo Sunday, December 21, 2008 12:09 PM
    Tuesday, December 16, 2008 11:32 PM

All replies

• Per Microsoft, the backup starts at a random time chosen by the client. From observation that time is in the first half of the window. In your situation, 4:00 PM is still in the first half of the window, so I don't see any obvious reason to think something is wrong. One set of questions though: what time zone are you in, is your server set to that time zone, and are your clients set to that time zone?

In addition to when a backup starts, if there's a backup already running, the PC will queue up and wait until the current one finishes. If it reaches the end of the window and hasn't started, it will fail to back up at all. In that case it seems like it will tend to choose a time very near the beginning of the window for it's next backup attempt.
    • Marked as answer by Alex Barimo Sunday, December 21, 2008 12:09 PM
    Tuesday, December 16, 2008 11:32 PM
  • Thanks Ken.

The clients were in a time zone 4 hours behind the server.  I've now changed the server time zone to the same as that of the clients.

When you say 1st half of the window, what exactly does that mean?
    Tuesday, December 16, 2008 11:37 PM
  • My window is midnight to 6:00 AM. I have never had a client wake to start a backup before midnight, or after 3:00 AM.
    Wednesday, December 17, 2008 5:21 AM
  • Do you really need a 15-hour window? Do you have only 3 or 4 PCs? I'll bet if you cut the window to 11AM - 5PM, all the backups would finish by 2:30PM. Give it a try.
    Wednesday, December 17, 2008 12:57 PM
  •  Bobsie, the clients are 4000+ miles away from the server so the window has to be more than six hours.

Thanks and I appreciate your reply.
    Sunday, December 21, 2008 12:08 PM