Can't connect to server RRS feed

• Question

• Long story I setup a RAID 1 array 2 days ago computer running WIN7. intel softwre recognized new drive and took quite a long time to build the array, which it finally did. This morning the computer only showed a blinking curser, and would not boot. The computer is an HP 3i processor. In booting to the bios, I CAN SELECT SEVERAL DIFFERNT ITEMS USING "f" keys, on choice is a diagnostic, which finds an error in the primary drive. Mystery one is why the new drive in the array did not "take over". I have the computer backed up on my WHS. When I put the restore CD in the drive it boots, but cannot find the server and gives me a network error when I go to manually connect to the server. In checking the network on another computer, the server is there. I have a "N" router, and it says the computer with the problem is there. How do I get to the server to do a restore??????
    Friday, June 17, 2011 10:02 PM

All replies

• See if this FAQ helps.
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Saturday, June 18, 2011 12:57 AM
  • Still did not connect. I keep getting a message that my screen name or password are incorrect. The router says I'm "there", and when I look at the network from this laptop, the network appears to be 'NORMAL". Did the chkdsk that all went ok.
    Sunday, June 19, 2011 1:49 PM
  • I'm able to ping the server from the computer I'm trying to do the backup reinstall. The WHS cd goes all the way to find the home server, and cannot find it. If I go to manually find the server, I  get a "network error" message. I'm really in a "bind" to restore from the server to the "sick" computer.
    Sunday, June 19, 2011 2:46 PM
  • This may be a name resolution issue, then. Options include:

• Take the system dis out of the computer you want to restore and connect it to another computer that's joined to your server. Then on that other computer, run C:\Program Files\Windows Home Server\clientrestorewizard.exe. This is the same program that you would be using from the restore CD, just hosted in a full Windows environment.
    • Set your server to acquire it's IP address automatically (if you've manually configured an address), then connect your server directly to your client with a network cable. No router, no switch, just cable from PC to server. Reboot both and try again.

The first may not work if the system drive is on the RAID array.

Sunday, June 19, 2011 3:11 PM
  • I'm unclear when you say "connect it to another computer" do you mean connect the client I'm trying to restore to another computer. If so how do I connect the 2 computers? I have done away with the Raid array, and have only a single new 1tb hard drive in the client. I have previusly connecting the client i'm trying to install directly to the server, but I got the same response from the WHS restore CD, "Can't find the server" "network error"
    Sunday, June 19, 2011 3:28 PM
  • No, you need to connect the disk physically to another computer that has the connector software installed using something like an external eSATA or USB Drive housing.

Phil P.S. If you find my comment helpful or if it answers your question, please mark it as such.
    Sunday, June 19, 2011 4:51 PM
  • I think I'm beginning to see the light, if I understand, this is what is to be done: Remove the Clint hard drive that I am trying to restore from the server. Connect it to my Vista computer in an external housing. Then run the recover from the vista computer to the external clients computer in the external housing , then reinstall the restored hard drive back into the Win 7 computer, does this make sense???

ps you guys are awsome, I really appreciate the help

Sunday, June 19, 2011 8:55 PM
  • That's it. Run the program Ken mentioned above on the Vista machine and tell it to restore your backup to the external drive. You could mount the drive internally to the Vista machine if you don't have an external housing. If when you have done that and the W7 does not boot, pop your W7 DVD in that computer and boot from the DVD and select the Recovery option. That will sort out any boot file problems (if there are any).

Phil P.S. If you find my comment helpful or if it answers your question, please mark it as such.
    Sunday, June 19, 2011 9:13 PM
  • I don't have the Win7 DVD, as my computer came with Win7 on it. I do have the recovery disk, that I made, and hopefully if I do have to do as you suggeted, the  recovery disk will help Question, when I run the recovery from the Vista machine, will it ask what drive I want to recover? I don't want it to go my raid array internally in the Vista machine.
    Monday, June 20, 2011 2:11 PM
  • ps should (after this is said and done) get the new WHS 2011?
    Monday, June 20, 2011 2:12 PM
  • HELP! When I go to the window in the restore , after running the client.exe, and select the computer that I want to restore (Jim7), which is the one I want to restore, and select the most recent backup, I get an error message that the client restore.exe has crashed. I selected Jim7 backups and went back several backups, but get the same message. If I tell client.exe to go to the Vista machine, I cannot switch to the backups for Jim7. The client(Jim7) hard drive is in an external housing and is recognized by the Vista machine. What now??????
    Monday, June 20, 2011 3:01 PM
  • Jim

I am away on a business trip so can not get near a computer to check this. I would suggest you go back to Ken's second suggestion above and see if that works.

Just to be sure, you are running clientrestorewizard.exe, not any other program as you mention above? I don't understand what you mean by " If I tell client.exe to go to the Vista machine, I cannot switch to the backups for Jim7"? You should be running clientrestorewizard.exe on your Vista machine with the W7 disk you want to restore to connected to your Vista machine.

Monday, June 20, 2011 7:27 PM
  • As you outlined it, I'm doing exactly that. I have the W7 Hard drive in a USB housing connected to the Vista machine. When I run client restore, I get a screen that shows the Vista machine, or the option to chose another machine to restore. I chose the W7 machine and tell it to proceed. Next thing on the screen is a message that client restore has crashed. I'v been screwing with this for several days, so after 3 tries, I gave up and called HP (Win 7 manufacturer) and ordered a Win 7 disk. When it gets here I'll do a clean install, add connector software, and get WHS to recognize it, and then do a restore. Thanks for your help. 

Monday, June 20, 2011 8:36 PM
  • I'm a little suspicious of the integrity of your backup database, to be honest.

If it's a matter of retrieving data, you can open a backup from any home computer joined to your server on any other home computer joined to your server. So you could retrieve data that way. I'm kind of inclined to recommend you get another external hard drive and do exactly that. Afterward, use the repair feature in the Windows Home Server console to repair the backup database, then try a restore again. I suggest retrieving data first because the repair can (often will) remove some or all backups, for some or all the computers joined to your server, in the process of repairing the database.

Tuesday, June 21, 2011 12:01 AM
  • I will have a Win7 Home Premium today if FedEx deliveres. I also have a second 1Tb drive on order from Western Digital, which is enroute. If I can retreive my backup from WHS, my plan is to setup a Raid 1 array again. I have this HP, which is 3-1/2 years old running Vista. It has a Raid array, and it works great. Recently one of the 2 drives gave up, and within 1/2 hour, after installing a new hard drive, everything was back to normal. I very much want that to happen with the i3 that I'm trying to recover. After I install W7 on the i3, I have the latest connector software, which I will install, and hopefully recover the backup. If that goes ok, I will do as you suggest, and do the repair. Many thanks to You and Tom for the guidance and council. Should I "bother" you with the result?
    Tuesday, June 21, 2011 2:03 PM
  • Yes please.
    Tuesday, June 21, 2011 2:16 PM
  • ps should I upgrade my WHS to WHS 2011?
    Tuesday, June 21, 2011 3:12 PM
  • Very good question, not related to your current problem. If your hardware can support it (64-bit) and you don't have lots of small disks which were managed by Drive Extender (which is no more in 2011) and you can work out your backup strategy (no duplication in WHS2011 after DE removal) then I would say "Yes". There is lots of debate on this subject on this forum so  would do some background reading before you make the decision.

I have moved to WHS2011 on a different hardware platform and find it very much slicker - much like moving from XP to W7 in my opinion.

Tuesday, June 21, 2011 3:24 PM
  • Thanks will do
    Tuesday, June 21, 2011 3:45 PM
  • What a fiasco! I received, from WD a new 1tb hard drive today. Installed in external SATA housing, that I had used on the 2 1tb's from the raid array that failed. On the Vista computer, I went to disk managment, and tried (without success) to initalize the brand new drive from WD. I became very suspucious of the SATA external housing, which I had never used before. To test this I attached to the Vista computer, a Segate usb 1tb drive, ran client restore, and told it to restore the the OS partition from the WHS, which it did in a matter of 45 minutes!!!!. So it looks like this external housing is junk. I shall acquire a new external housing tomorow, and hopefully I can do a complete restore. Ken was suspicious of the integrity of the backup, and It looks like the backup(s) are good. It looks very much like Mr. Murphy has been sitting on my shoulder!!! One question There are 2 partitions on the WHS (OS & DATA), do I tell restore to do both at once? Or 1 at a time. I suspect that do both at once, as if I do one, WHS will reformat the drive when I tell it to do the data partition. Hope I have not tied you 2 up with my Murphy confrotation.
    Thursday, June 23, 2011 4:33 AM
  • Jim

This appears as a never ending saga but I am sure you are close to resolution. Restore the whole disk at once, so both partitions and the hidden one if it's there. Select "Automatic" restore when it asks the question and it should do the whole disk.

Thursday, June 23, 2011 6:12 AM
  • Problem....I now have an SATA adapter, with a new 1tb hard drive in it. Disk manager recognizes the new drive, but when I go to the resore wizard, and select a volumn from the backups, the upper source shoice is greyed out. The lower one is active, and shows therecovery partition, with a green X toward the destination drive. If I down arrow the source, and select the OS partition, the green X turns red and still shows the restore partition. What am I doing wrong?????
    Thursday, June 23, 2011 6:25 PM
  • Are you sure that the disk you are trying to restore is of equal size or smaller than the destination? did you partition the destination in any way?

Thursday, June 23, 2011 6:34 PM
  • Source & destination both 1 tb. Source has about 380 gig on it. Problem is formating I did a quick format, did a restore, and when it got thru, message pops up saying must format the drive. I'm doing a full format now, but it's going to tak about 5 hours or more!
    Friday, June 24, 2011 2:46 AM
  • OK I did a restore from WHS to a new 1tb Hard Drve, Installed it in the W7 computer, connected W7 direct to WHS Server via ethernet, booted the computer, get a message "No Operating System" Where do I go from here?????????
    Friday, June 24, 2011 4:51 PM
  • Did you receive your W7 installation disk - if so try my suggestion from above:

" If when you have done that and the W7 does not boot, pop your W7 DVD in that computer and boot from the DVD and select the Recovery option. That will sort out any boot file problems (if there are any)."

Friday, June 24, 2011 5:05 PM
  • I had to send it back to HP, they sent a Vista Upgrade version. I have Acronis Disk director, and when I look at the hard drive, it has a C partition, but has a small circle with a red "X" in it. I made a recovery disk when I bought the computer back in December, and it tries, but cannot make the computer boot. I can look at the C partition, and it looks like WHS has put the proper files in the partrition. I'm about at the end of my rope, and am considering going to a local retailer, and buy the 64 bit full install, do a clean install, and then recover what I can off of WJS. I'm certainly not a happy camper over all of this, it just seems like veerywher I turn or try, nothing works!
    Friday, June 24, 2011 7:20 PM
  • Sadly, I can't think of anything else to suggest - good luck. Can anyone else add anything?

Friday, June 24, 2011 8:00 PM
  • I dug out a Vista 64 bit install disk that I had for a laptop. I put it in and it booted, and I told it to repair. It could not do so, and in looking at the advanced options, it said "error code 0X757", MBR corrupt. Does that tell you anything?
    Friday, June 24, 2011 9:37 PM
  • I would not rely on an older version of Windows to do that. Notoriously older versions of Windows don't seem to understand MBRs of newer versions - I am however surprised Vista doesn't understand a W7 MBR - perhaps it is truly corrupt. Try searching online for repairing a W7 MBR.

Friday, June 24, 2011 9:45 PM
  • I lost a hard drive in WHS in April. I replaced it, and started fresh with the backups to the 4 various computers here at home. I am wiping clean the hard drive that was in the RAID array tha failed, and I'm going to follow Ken's instuctions and restor that first backup from back in April. If I can get a backup, that doesn't have the MBR problem I may have something going. I go back to Intel 4004 for the first computer I built up for one of my Amateur Radio projects, but I have never encountered anything like this mess!!!!!!
    Saturday, June 25, 2011 12:15 AM
  • OK folks an awful lot of $ later my client is up and running with Windows 7 Ultimate. My restore client is still not working. The network adapter driver is up to date according to Device Manager. I note that there is a help file with the following address, some of which I cannot make out on my screen: http://go.mocrosoft.com/fwlink/?link?????????.If I copy to clip board, to get to the site, computer reboots and I loswe clipboard. Would somebody kindly post the entire address for me. Secondly my ethernet connection in the client is Gigabit Ethernet, and I wonder since the server is 100 ethernet if that could be a problem? The driver is up to date. Am I missing something that I should be doing to get this sucker going????The ordeal goes on! My restore client disk is the origional one is there something later?

Thursday, June 30, 2011 10:42 PM
  • ps...I can run client restore.exe, but I don't want a full restore, I want to chose what files or folders to restore
    Thursday, June 30, 2011 11:11 PM