locked
HTTP 503 error - Remote Web Server is not configured properly RRS feed

  • Question

  • I think I broke my server! I have run my server for a couple of years with no problem, and routinely accessed it remotely. I recently began to look at setting up a SharePoint site. I didn't really get on with it and gave up. I uninstalled Sharepoint and what I thought were the various dependencies that went with it. Since that time I've been unable to access the server remotely. I can ping the machine and RDP into it within the LAN, but it doesn't show up in my router's list of DHCP clients, and if I try to connect to it using it's local IP address or its .homeserver.com address, I get the HTTP 503 error - service unavailable.

    Through the dashboard - >Server Settings -> Remote Web Access it is reported that the router is not working - it is for all other machines on the LAN and has port forwarding (80 and 443) set up. Clicking repair reports that "Remote Web Access to your Server is blocked". Umm, yes. I know. Thanks. What do I do about it? 1) The router might not be compatible - it has been so far, 2) your ISP may block ports 80 and 443 - it hasn't before.

    So, where do I go next. Any help appreciated. Thanks

    Thursday, January 15, 2015 2:06 PM

Answers

  • Restore your server to a date prior to your Sharepoint experiment.

    Luc.

    • Marked as answer by Olaf Engelke Tuesday, January 20, 2015 2:20 PM
    Thursday, January 15, 2015 3:07 PM
  • The only successful method I have come across in these circumstances are a restore (which you can't do) or a new installation. If you do the latter, make sure that you have a backup of all the data contained on the HDD that has the OS installed as that will be wiped during the reinstallation.

    Phil P.S. If you find my comment helpful or if it answers your question, please mark it as such.

    • Marked as answer by Olaf Engelke Tuesday, January 20, 2015 2:20 PM
    Thursday, January 15, 2015 10:25 PM
  • Hi, I just read about your issues.

    I had a similar issue with my whs 2011 (maybe) after installing and uninstalling SharePoint. After several days of trouble Shooting and searching for Solutions i found that the IIS-DefaultSite on my whs was stopped. After restarting it remote internet access worked.

    I hope this hint helps someone other,

    Regards Walter

    • Marked as answer by Olaf Engelke Tuesday, January 20, 2015 2:20 PM
    Sunday, January 18, 2015 2:22 PM

All replies

  • Restore your server to a date prior to your Sharepoint experiment.

    Luc.

    • Marked as answer by Olaf Engelke Tuesday, January 20, 2015 2:20 PM
    Thursday, January 15, 2015 3:07 PM
  • I only have a restore point after the SharePoint experiment


    One must feel chaos within to give birth to a dancing star

    Thursday, January 15, 2015 5:17 PM
  • The only successful method I have come across in these circumstances are a restore (which you can't do) or a new installation. If you do the latter, make sure that you have a backup of all the data contained on the HDD that has the OS installed as that will be wiped during the reinstallation.

    Phil P.S. If you find my comment helpful or if it answers your question, please mark it as such.

    • Marked as answer by Olaf Engelke Tuesday, January 20, 2015 2:20 PM
    Thursday, January 15, 2015 10:25 PM
  • Thanks LucTh and Phil. I went with reinstall option and all is well again (less painful than i expected having worried about several terabytes of music and movies). I will be more careful with my experimentation in the future!


    One must feel chaos within to give birth to a dancing star

    Friday, January 16, 2015 1:35 PM
  • Hi, I just read about your issues.

    I had a similar issue with my whs 2011 (maybe) after installing and uninstalling SharePoint. After several days of trouble Shooting and searching for Solutions i found that the IIS-DefaultSite on my whs was stopped. After restarting it remote internet access worked.

    I hope this hint helps someone other,

    Regards Walter

    • Marked as answer by Olaf Engelke Tuesday, January 20, 2015 2:20 PM
    Sunday, January 18, 2015 2:22 PM
  • Hi. Thanks Walter. I tried this as well as a changing a few other settings on the IIS default website, but had no luck - hence the drastic option. I carried out a few experiments on the server over the past couple of years as part of my progression along the learning curve, so it was probably a good thing to start from scratch. It's now up a running again with no problems. Thanks for taking the time to respond - and as you say, maybe this will prove to be a fix for someone else in the future.

    Regards

    Matt


    One must feel chaos within to give birth to a dancing star

    Tuesday, January 20, 2015 2:35 PM
  • How do you restart IIS
    Monday, February 16, 2015 9:13 PM