What is Live Mesh all about? RRS feed

• General discussion

• Hi

What is Live Mesh and how can I use it....I know about skydrive it basically provide online storage over internet so I am using it, but don't know what is Live mesh all about?

Thanks!! MCP
    Tuesday, April 6, 2010 7:40 AM

All replies

• Live Mesh is a beta service/product that provides file synchronization between computers and some mobile devices and also provides a Live Desktop where you can also sync folders to, optionally. Additionally, it provides remote desktop capabilities to the computers in your Mesh from other computers or the Live Desktop. It also has a client for the Mac, but that is more limited.

Rumor has it that Live Mesh and Live Sync will be merging in a beta update to the Windows Live services in the near future. How that relates to SkyDrive storage is unknown, but the current Live Mesh environment is completely unrelated to Windows Live Skydrive.

Learn more about the current service at www.mesh.com

-steve

~ Microsoft MVP Windows Live ~ Windows Live OneCare| Live Mesh|MS Security Essentials Forums Moderator ~
    Tuesday, April 6, 2010 12:36 PM
  • Thanks Stephen,

So this is means we can store data online on windows skydrive and later on sync it with Live mesh.

As Live mesh doesn't provide online storage just sync functionality with your desktop or mobile(like my iPhone). Please correct me if I am wrong.

Thanks!! MCP
    Wednesday, April 7, 2010 1:22 PM
  • No, we don't know about the future relationship of SkyDrive and Live Sync. Live Sync is P2P only with no Live Desktop (cloud storage). Live Mesh is P2P with the Live Desktop (cloud storage). The Live Desktop and SkyDrive are not the same storage. The future merging of Live Sync and Live Mesh that is being reported by various sites simply means that the services will become one - Live Sync/Live Mesh. It does not have anything to do with SkyDrive.

-steve

~ Microsoft MVP Windows Live ~ Windows Live OneCare| Live Mesh|MS Security Essentials Forums Moderator ~
    Wednesday, April 7, 2010 3:53 PM
  • Oh, and there is no Sync with an iPhone - Windows Mobile is the only phone type supported right now by Live Mesh and the future on this is not yet clear. On an iPhone, you can access the Live Desktop in the phone's web browser, but there is no sync.

-steve

Wednesday, April 7, 2010 3:54 PM