Computer "name" & workgroup "name" RRS feed

• General discussion

• Hi

Their has been some talk about how to change the computer name from "server" and workgroup name from "workgroup".

It is very easy to do:-

- after the installation is completed don't make the unit headless and don't install the connector service on client PC's. On the home server box;

- left click on the start button;

- right click on "my computer";

- left click on "properties";

- left click on the "computer name tab"; and

- Change the name to what ever you desire.

I do think that these should be question  asked during the installation.

Hope this help..

Vince

Wednesday, February 21, 2007 6:42 PM

All replies

• How do I change the workgroup name on a preconfigured box (HP MediaSmart) that already comes with the workgroup name preset?
    Friday, November 23, 2007 6:44 AM
  •  Boaster01 wrote:
    How do I change the workgroup name on a preconfigured box (HP MediaSmart) that already comes with the workgroup name preset?

Boaster01

Changing the "Computer Name" and "Workgroup Name " on a unit you built is somethig that is quite optional and you have some good advice on how to do this.

Remember "TIMMMING IS EVERYTHING" -make these changes as soon as you finishin installing the Operating System.

A preconfigured WHS will have a number of interdependent configuration sand unless you are able to make changes that will not affect these configs or you are willing  to do a WHS restore (when something breaks-and it will) I would not change any settings in the HPMedia Smart .

Reading and looking at the Videos about the HP product it seem   a tightly integreated products and I truly believe even changing the "Computer Name " and /or "Workgroup" will break something.

I hope I am wrong about this and I am very close to ordering one of the HP units because up to now it seems about the better units being sold or planned. My only gripe with it is I find it a bit low powered.

Anyway "CHANGE AWAY"  on the HP unit and let us know what happens.

Friday, November 23, 2007 10:13 AM
  •  

changing names works like a charm!!

i just got my MediaSmart this week and finished migrating over all files from my RC1 box to MediaSmart. during initial installation of MediaSmart, i left the default name of "HPSERVER" while the RC box had the name i gave it originally which i want to be the permanant name of the HP server.

So, i first went to change the name on the RC box by going through the regular system properties and changing the name there. It then makes you restart. When it restarts, it will take longer to reboot than a normal reboot. You may also see that in your router config page, it says that it is connected, however if you try to remote it or ping it, you won't get a response. Don't worry, just give it a little bit more time. Once you get back into it, you will notice (if you look around) that everything has changed - correctly. In the event logs, there will be a few entries about the name change. EVERYTHING IS UPDATED - including the certificate.

So then after i changed my RC box i went and did the same exact thing on the MediaSmart - followed same steps as above - and everything turned out perfectly. I was a little surprised to be honest but in the end it all works out!

jpearl

Friday, November 23, 2007 7:36 PM
  • Good to know.

Did you check all the HP Add in to see if the function normally.

Friday, November 23, 2007 8:11 PM
  •  ROUZA wrote:

Did you check all the HP Add in to see if the function normally.

Yes, and yes

Woops, also forgot that most likely you will have to run the discovery.exe which is located in C:\program files\windows home server\discovery.exe

I dont remember 100% if i had to (it was quite late last night) but i think you do...

jpearl

Saturday, November 24, 2007 1:11 AM
  • On the HP MediaSmart Server, you can change the machine name when you install the connector on the first client PC, during the OOBE phase of installation. There's no need to change the workgroup name.
    Saturday, November 24, 2007 2:44 AM
  • Well, as a dummy I changed the workgroup on my HP and no I can't remote desktop to it nor open the connector.  But the shared files and back are all working.  Any suggestions to how to fix?  Thanks for any help.
    --- Andy
    Sunday, December 21, 2008 7:14 PM
  • There is no need to change the workgroup name on your WHS computer; it will function fine no matter what the workgroup name is.
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Sunday, December 21, 2008 9:47 PM