Money 2000 Standard Version - unable to locate back up file RRS feed

• Question

• I have the UK version of MS 2000. Confirmed by viewing help on MS I have on system but no transactions and I have the original CD.

I previously 'lost' the back up for a few months but it suddenly appeared again a few days ago.  I have backed up the PC on Windows 10 daily but can no longer find the backup file.  I have a number of backups but they are all asking me to start all over again.

Any assistance would be welcomed.  I am okay with computers but not with technical detail.

Warslet

Thank you.

Friday, May 4, 2018 2:28 PM

Answers

• In a command window, run the following command:

dir c:\*.mbf /s

This will search your C: drive for all Money backup files. It may take a while. Let us know where it is found. Look at the date. I hope the date is not recent. If you find a file and the date is old enough, copy it to other media.

I hope you did not overwrite your backup file with an empty Money file.

• Marked as answer by Warslet Tuesday, May 8, 2018 3:44 PM
    Friday, May 4, 2018 8:48 PM
  • Further to what Cal has advised, if you find multiple backup files (*.mbf where * stands in place of any string) look at the size of the file ~ probably the largest file has your latest data set.

You could also search for any other Money data files that you had created with *.mny

Teabag

• Marked as answer by Warslet Tuesday, May 8, 2018 3:45 PM
    Tuesday, May 8, 2018 2:13 PM
  • Hi Cal & Teabag, Appreciate your assistance. The search revealed large files in c drive Local/VirtualStore. The date is about the date I lost access to the information. Found what I needed and thank you both very much. Will make sure I back up on a daily basis to a file dedicated to the day of the week. Any other suggestions would be welcomed. Regards, Warslet
    • Marked as answer by Warslet Tuesday, May 8, 2018 5:22 PM
    Tuesday, May 8, 2018 3:44 PM
  • Hi Cal & Teabag, Appreciate your assistance. The search revealed large files in c drive Local/VirtualStore. The date is about the date I lost access to the information. Found what I needed and thank you both very much. Will make sure I back up on a daily basis to a file dedicated to the day of the week. Any other suggestions would be welcomed. Regards, Warslet

Happy success story!

The reason that your files were in the Virtual Store is that you had placed your files within the Program Files folder. You don't have full privilages there or the Windows folder, even if you are an Administrative User.

This is why it is commonly recommended to have your *.mny inside of your documents folder. I put mine into a folder within Documents.

You also need to change the place to back up to. Money 2000 let you choose a location for the upon-exit backup and a location for the scheduled backup. See Tools->Options->Backup

While you are remembering this scary event, consider how a hard drive failure or worse could affect you. Consider periodic storage onto other media, including off-site storage such as OneDrive.

I think Money 2000 lets you do the scheduled backup to a USB flash drive that has less than 2 GB of free space.

Tuesday, May 8, 2018 4:03 PM
  • Only restore the backup if your current Money file (*.mny) has become corrupt, or was deleted. Keep using the Money file and only use the backup in an emergency. Make sure that the file you are using ends in the extension .mny. There is no need to keep opening a backup. If you open a backup, the restoration will make a new *.mny file, which may replace your existing file. If you give it a new name, Money will try to open the last file that was opened, instead of the file you may really want to use.

To avoid having Money open any file other than your primary file, I make a shortcut on the desktop to the Money file and double-click that shortcut to start Money. That way, you are guaranteed to be opening the file you want and not what Money last used. To make the shortcut, open File Explorer and go to the folder where you are storing your file. Using the right mouse button, click and drag the file to your desktop. By using the right mouse button, you will get a menu that allows you to tell Windows to create a shortcut on your desktop.

Bob - MSN Mobile

• Marked as answer by Warslet Wednesday, May 9, 2018 12:29 PM
    Tuesday, May 8, 2018 6:36 PM
  • When restoring a backup file, do not accept  the default location to restore to. In your case, your backups remember a wrong place to restore to.  Instead, Browse to your "Documents" and specify a filename that does not yet exist there.

Another alternative is to browse to your Desktop, and restore to there. So you could later open Money by double-clicking that file as it sits on the desktop.

So there is more than one way to do it, but putting either your *.mny or *.mbf within the program files is not going to work.

Tuesday, May 8, 2018 11:23 PM

All replies

• In a command window, run the following command:

dir c:\*.mbf /s

This will search your C: drive for all Money backup files. It may take a while. Let us know where it is found. Look at the date. I hope the date is not recent. If you find a file and the date is old enough, copy it to other media.

I hope you did not overwrite your backup file with an empty Money file.

• Marked as answer by Warslet Tuesday, May 8, 2018 3:44 PM
    Friday, May 4, 2018 8:48 PM
  • Further to what Cal has advised, if you find multiple backup files (*.mbf where * stands in place of any string) look at the size of the file ~ probably the largest file has your latest data set.

You could also search for any other Money data files that you had created with *.mny

Teabag

• Marked as answer by Warslet Tuesday, May 8, 2018 3:45 PM
    Tuesday, May 8, 2018 2:13 PM
    • Marked as answer by Warslet Tuesday, May 8, 2018 5:22 PM
    Tuesday, May 8, 2018 3:44 PM

Happy success story!

The reason that your files were in the Virtual Store is that you had placed your files within the Program Files folder. You don't have full privilages there or the Windows folder, even if you are an Administrative User.

This is why it is commonly recommended to have your *.mny inside of your documents folder. I put mine into a folder within Documents.

You also need to change the place to back up to. Money 2000 let you choose a location for the upon-exit backup and a location for the scheduled backup. See Tools->Options->Backup

While you are remembering this scary event, consider how a hard drive failure or worse could affect you. Consider periodic storage onto other media, including off-site storage such as OneDrive.

I think Money 2000 lets you do the scheduled backup to a USB flash drive that has less than 2 GB of free space.

Tuesday, May 8, 2018 4:03 PM
  • Hi Cal, Done as suggested and will save to off site storage on a regular basis. When I access the back up I have to restore it and then enter my password. Is there a way to avoid restoring on each occasion which seems an oddity? The same happens when I do a desktop shortcut. Regards, Warslet
    Tuesday, May 8, 2018 5:34 PM
  • Only restore the backup if your current Money file (*.mny) has become corrupt, or was deleted. Keep using the Money file and only use the backup in an emergency. Make sure that the file you are using ends in the extension .mny. There is no need to keep opening a backup. If you open a backup, the restoration will make a new *.mny file, which may replace your existing file. If you give it a new name, Money will try to open the last file that was opened, instead of the file you may really want to use.

To avoid having Money open any file other than your primary file, I make a shortcut on the desktop to the Money file and double-click that shortcut to start Money. That way, you are guaranteed to be opening the file you want and not what Money last used. To make the shortcut, open File Explorer and go to the folder where you are storing your file. Using the right mouse button, click and drag the file to your desktop. By using the right mouse button, you will get a menu that allows you to tell Windows to create a shortcut on your desktop.

Bob - MSN Mobile

Tuesday, May 8, 2018 6:36 PM
  • When restoring a backup file, do not accept  the default location to restore to. In your case, your backups remember a wrong place to restore to.  Instead, Browse to your "Documents" and specify a filename that does not yet exist there.

Another alternative is to browse to your Desktop, and restore to there. So you could later open Money by double-clicking that file as it sits on the desktop.

So there is more than one way to do it, but putting either your *.mny or *.mbf within the program files is not going to work.

Tuesday, May 8, 2018 11:23 PM
  • Thank you Bob and Cal. All sorted now and appreciate your replies.
    Wednesday, May 9, 2018 12:30 PM