1TB drive issues with WHS - drive not recignized RRS feed

• Question

•  

Interesting issue today. Just got this drive from newegg and dropped it into my WHS and it could be recignized in the BIOS for my RAID card but wouldnt show up in disk management or the WHS drive utility tool. My other 5 500GB Seagates are on the highpoint BIOS screen card and show up funtioning perfectly including the new 1TB seagate. I am not using any raid configuration for my raid card...the purpose is to add capacity to add up to 8 SATA drive. I took the ST31000340AS and connected it to my vista box and voila its there. I am able to identify and format in vista on my other box so the drive is good.

My question is how come I couldnt see the drive in windows home server yet my other drives are these and function properly... the power and the SATA cable is good.Any ideas?

Here is my rig

Asus P5K-VM
    CPU: Intel Core 2 Duo E6600
    Corsair 2GB RAM
    HighPoint RocketRAID 2320
    5x500Gb Seagates (no raid)
    550W Coolermaster PS

Any advice appreciated.

Wednesday, January 16, 2008 10:30 PM

All replies

•  

after NTFS formatting in Vista I moved the drive over an home server recignized it. Does anyone know why WHS didnt locate and recignize this drive at all?
    Thursday, January 17, 2008 5:33 AM
  • Was the drive already partitioned/formatted when you received it? (It shouldn't matter, except that it sometimes does...)
    Thursday, January 17, 2008 4:20 PM
  • Hello Ken,

Thanks for your reply. The drive was not formatted and/or partitioned and WHS would not recognize it even though the BIOS on the RAID card did. I formatted and partitioned on another box that has vista. Once I formatted in vista and moved it over the WHS it was recognizable by the OS. I thought this was odd and didn’t know if this was something someone else has seen.

Thursday, January 17, 2008 5:58 PM
  • You probably could have gone into system tools and storage and then partitioned your drive in WHS. I have had to do that a few times when adding new drives that have never been partitioned and formatted before.

Tuesday, January 22, 2008 6:51 PM
  • I tried this but the drive never showed up, but it did in the BIOS.

Wednesday, January 23, 2008 1:14 AM