Speech Server 2004 installation (TIM Software) RRS feed

• Question

• I am trying to install Microsoft Speech Server 2004 R2, I am new to this type of software, but from what I can tell I need third party Telephony Interface Manager (TIM) software.  Intel NetMerge seems to be the best choice but the link is broken on their download page (here), I have called them twice and they had no idea what I was talking about.  Does anyone know where I could find this (or similar) software, it seems to be non existent.
    Thanks
    -Will 
    Monday, May 12, 2008 6:09 PM

Answers

• Intel spun out their telephony board unit and sold it to Eicon - this became the new Dialogic. The the Intel Netmerge/Call Manager (the TIM) went with them to Dialogic. The Call Manager was retired on December 31, 2007 and only is available on request from Dialogic.Last year the new Dialogic also acquired Brooktrout. So the new Dialogic also sells the Eicon and Brooktrout products. Also those products' TIMs are not readily available any more.

In essence of the board vendors only Aculab still 'sells' their TIM for Microsoft Speech Server 2004R2.

The reason is that Microsoft Speech Server 2004R2 is end-of-life and is replaced by Speech Server (2007) http://www.microsoft.com/uc/products/speechserver.mspx.

And that for new deployments Microsoft strongly recommends to go Voice-over-IP/SIP. All development of future Microsoft products are embracing SIP for telephony.

Is there any reason why you do not build your solution on Speech Server (2007)?

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyId=BB183640-4B8F-4828-80C9-E83C3B2E7A2C&displaylang=en It has much improved tools and greater densities and a lower price.

If you use that product several vendors have great SIP Gateways that still allow to bridge to the telephony network using TDM based T1/E1 or analog telephony interfaces. Dialogic and Audiocodes gateways are well tested solutions against Speech Server (2007). Both analog and digital.
    Same goes for Aculab with their TIM and the TIM Connector we released. Aculab only sells E1/T1 densities.

Also other products have been announced to work with Speech Server (2007). Like Paraxip. Those products are supported by the respective vendors.

Monday, May 12, 2008 11:54 PM