Storage Techniques with WHS RRS feed

• General discussion

• I'm looking at joining the WHS community with a move from my Server 2008 setup running ESXi to WHS.
    My question to you all (more of a discussion starter), is how do you store files using WHS?

For example I have a load of music on my PC, as does my wife. I'd like for us to be able to see each others music but I don't want to merge the two libraries together because I use Zune so I don't want her music on my Zune. At the same time however, I have a PS3 and an Xbox, so I want to be able to use the Xbox and access all of our music to stream to the living room equipment.

We have about 10,000 pictures between us - She has some of them, I have some.

Richard Green, MCSA Windows Server 2003
    Monday, November 16, 2009 9:53 AM

All replies

• After WHS is finished installing just create 2 folders 1 for your music and one for your wife's music with sharing rights set for how you want it shared. Make sure you create these folders out side of the users folder. I have mine setup for my family's music like this.

Shared folders
    |
     JDMusic
    |
     JEMusic
    |
     HTMusic
    The shares can then be set for read/write or just read for how ever you want to share the folders.
    Hope that helps.
    John
    Monday, November 16, 2009 4:33 PM
  • Windows Home Server has the ability to stream from certain predefined folders using Windows Media Connect 2.0, which is built in. Streaming from other folders is not supported (out of the box; there are third party add-ins and unsupported tweaks that can add more streaming capabilities). If you want to stream to your xBox using built-in functionality you'll probably be limited to the predefined folders.

What I would do: Have two copies of the music etc. One will be local on your (or your wife's) PC, and the other will be a merged library used for streaming only, kept on the server. The merged library could be as simple as two folders under e.g. Music: \\server\Music\husband\etc. and \\server\music\wife\etc. Windows Home Server will still be able to stream any supported file format. You could conceivably move your local music libraries to the server, though I don't think that will be a very satisfying solution (network latency and performance will probably make local use slow), so I think you'd be better off copying them using a tool such as robocopy or SyncToy.

An alternative to this has been proposed as well. The main downside to the alternative is that you'll be using standard file sharing to access the media, not streaming it.

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Monday, November 16, 2009 4:58 PM