Server Remote Access RRS feed

• Question

• I have a Solwise SAR-600EW router which has given very satisfactory service for a number of years to provide an internet connection and Ethernet distribution for a Hewlett-Packard Home server running Widows Home Server, a desktop and a laptop.

Recently I have tried to set up remote access for my server. After having established a website I enabled UPnP on the router and then then tried to configure the router from the server but this always fails at either the step ‘Configuring your router using UPnP standards’ or the following step ‘Verifying that your remote website is available from the internet’. Occasionally I get the pop up message saying ‘Updating port forwarding for your router failed’.

The help information http://support.microsoft.com/kb/944993 suggests that I update the router’s firmware and/or manually configure the router to forward the required ports to the server. There doesn’t appear to be a firmware upgrade for my router and I cannot see how to set up manual port forwarding through the router setup screens.

I contacted Solwise who in an e-mail said ‘all you need to do is go into the web gui for the router (type it's IP address on the URL line on your browser). Then go to the section for port forwarding (sometimes called virtual server) and then create a rule to forward incoming traffic for port 80 to the local IP address of your HP server). Save settings... maybe reboot the router.’  But I couldn’t find a screen which would enable me to create such a rule. I phoned their help desk but they didn’t seem to understand the problem I was having.

I have contacted my ISP (Demon) who confirmed that they have not blocked.

Can anyone help?

Friday, October 19, 2012 8:43 AM

Answers

All replies