Missing Feature - non-destructive incremental backup RRS feed

• Question

• I was planning on using SyncToy to back up the large amounts of data from my digital HD camcorder. I did a 'contribute' to an external hard drive before going on vacation. During the trip, the camcorder ran out of memory so deleted some older files. I felt comfortable about doing this, since I knew I had a back-up at home. After my return, when I looked at the sync preview, I realized that the camcorder had re-used the names of the files I had deleted and that SyncToy was ready to overwrite the old files with matching names on the right hand side.

Now, it seems that those old files would be moved to the recycle bin, but the fact that this is not explicitely stated in the action preview makes me weary and even if it were to actually happen, I don't think it's a good idea to rely on the assumption that deleted data can be recovered. I don't want it to be deleted in the first place. I want it to be either renamed or moved to a safe place that can be specified by the user.

Wednesday, October 8, 2008 8:13 PM

Answers

• Hi Lou,

Thanks for the suggestion.  I have made a note of this in the engineering feature request log.

Liam

Thursday, October 9, 2008 4:39 PM

All replies

• Hi Lou,

Thanks for the suggestion.  I have made a note of this in the engineering feature request log.

Liam

Thursday, October 9, 2008 4:39 PM
  • Also, versioning of the file should be supported.  Basically, copy the original file to a folder named as the same as the file and then the file is copied into this folder and the name is changed to the date and time; or user specified.

Nice tool, but too simplistic.

Tuesday, January 27, 2009 4:24 PM