Do user passwords have an expiry on them? RRS feed

• Question

• Over the last 48 hours all 3 of my users are getting a 'wrong password' error??  All have saved password and so are simply doing the same thing they have done multiple times.  All were created at same time about 45(?) days ago.

If I create a  new user I can use that fine from problematic PCs.

Ideas?

• Moved by Ken WarrenModerator Monday, June 21, 2010 1:25 AM Vail question (From:Windows Home Server & Windows Home Server "Vail" Add-Ins and Developer Information)
    Monday, June 21, 2010 12:01 AM

Answers

• I assume you're talking about Vail. Yes, on Vail user passwords expire after 42 days. Users can change their passwords from the Remote Access web site (click the user name) in this build, and there will be additional functionality to allow users to change their passwords in a future build. I don't know for sure if the password expiration policy will change; I suspect it will, though, as most Windows Home Server users probably won't understand this in a home product.
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    • Proposed as answer by kariya21Moderator Monday, June 21, 2010 3:23 AM
    • Marked as answer by GazBinOz Tuesday, June 22, 2010 3:23 AM
    Monday, June 21, 2010 1:25 AM

All replies

• I assume you're talking about Vail. Yes, on Vail user passwords expire after 42 days. Users can change their passwords from the Remote Access web site (click the user name) in this build, and there will be additional functionality to allow users to change their passwords in a future build. I don't know for sure if the password expiration policy will change; I suspect it will, though, as most Windows Home Server users probably won't understand this in a home product.
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    • Proposed as answer by kariya21Moderator Monday, June 21, 2010 3:23 AM
    • Marked as answer by GazBinOz Tuesday, June 22, 2010 3:23 AM
    Monday, June 21, 2010 1:25 AM
  • On 6/20/2010 7:01 PM, GazBinOz wrote:

Over the last 48 hours all 3 of my users are getting a 'wrong password' error??  All have saved password and so are simply doing the same thing they have done multiple times.  All were created at same time about 45(?) days ago.

If I create a  new user I can use that fine from problematic PCs.

Ideas?

Windows Home Server doesn't have an expiration policy as it's default.  If one has been set up, then it required a user to log in via Remote Desktop as the Administrator and change Group Policies.

The suggestion that I have is to log in as the Administrator, and have each user change their password to the correct value.  You may want to change the Administrator password afterwards (in case one of the users has been logging in and making changes).

If there is an issue in 45 days again, then you'll have to log in via Remote Desktop and look into the group policies (note logging in via Remote Desktop is not a supported method).  I just logged into my Home Server and looked for the Password Policies, and they aren't visible.  That's not to say they don't exist, but you'll have to do some research to find out where they're at (if they are available at all).

Hope this helps, and have a great day:)
    Patrick.

Smile... Someone out there cares deeply for you.
    Have you updated today?
    http://update.microsoft.com

Smile.. Someone out there cares deeply for you.
    Monday, June 21, 2010 2:01 AM
  • On 6/20/2010 9:01 PM, PatrickDickey wrote:

On 6/20/2010 7:01 PM, GazBinOz wrote:

Over the last 48 hours all 3 of my users are getting a 'wrong password' error??  All have saved password and so are simply doing the same thing they have done multiple times.  All were created at same time about 45(?) days ago.

If I create a  new user I can use that fine from problematic PCs.

Ideas?

Windows Home Server doesn't have an expiration policy as it's default.  If one has been set up, then it required a user to log in via Remote Desktop as the Administrator and change Group Policies.

The suggestion that I have is to log in as the Administrator, and have each user change their password to the correct value.  You may want to change the Administrator password afterwards (in case one of the users has been logging in and making changes).

If there is an issue in 45 days again, then you'll have to log in via Remote Desktop and look into the group policies (note logging in via Remote Desktop is not a supported method).  I just logged into my Home Server and looked for the Password Policies, and they aren't visible.  That's not to say they don't exist, but you'll have to do some research to find out where they're at (if they are available at all).

Hope this helps, and have a great day:)
    Patrick.

I need to add that I was looking at the RTM version of Windows Home Server version 1--not Vail.  So, you'll want to go by what Ken said in his reply.

Have a great day:)
    Patrick.

Smile... Someone out there cares deeply for you.
    Have you updated today?
    http://update.microsoft.com

Smile.. Someone out there cares deeply for you.
    Monday, June 21, 2010 2:03 AM
  • Thanks guys - yes it was Vail and yes it was about 42 days.
    Tuesday, June 22, 2010 3:24 AM