none
Definitive answer: To defrag or not? RRS feed

• Question

• I have read that Microsoft does not recomend defragmenting WHS, but I also see it certifies Diskeeper and Perfect Disk solutions. Other forums say just don't defrag C: because it will only have tombstones on installations with two or more drives.

I am about to go from evaluating to buying and doing my precious self-home build. Should I create scheduled tasks to defrag or not? I am hoping by asking on an MS site I will get a definitive answer!

Thanks

Sam
    Tuesday, December 8, 2009 3:21 PM

Answers

• Hello,
    even if fragmentation happens over time, it does not have enough influence on the system performance to be felt. The main bottleneck will be the network in the very most cases.
    In my opinion the risk, to get bad results from installing a defrag tool on the server (including negative impact on performance) is much higher than the potential win.
    Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf

• Marked as answer by wheatism Tuesday, December 8, 2009 3:38 PM
    Tuesday, December 8, 2009 3:24 PM

All replies

• Hello,
    even if fragmentation happens over time, it does not have enough influence on the system performance to be felt. The main bottleneck will be the network in the very most cases.
    In my opinion the risk, to get bad results from installing a defrag tool on the server (including negative impact on performance) is much higher than the potential win.
    Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf

• Marked as answer by wheatism Tuesday, December 8, 2009 3:38 PM
    Tuesday, December 8, 2009 3:24 PM
  • In my opinion the risk, to get bad results from installing a defrag tool on the server (including negative impact on performance) is much higher than the potential win.

Hello Olaf,
    this answer makes sense to me. I will focus on scheduling disk cleanups, more RAM and lower CPU utilisation AV software for my home build admin
    Regards
    Sam
    Tuesday, December 8, 2009 3:40 PM
  • There is definitely a room for defragmentation on WHS. Although I agree that data disks don't benefit from defrags, system volume would benefit greatly from running even a simple built in defrag app. In my case, there was 67% defragmentation on the system volume after a clean install - after defragmentation, the system became noticeably faster.

Tuesday, December 8, 2009 4:03 PM
  • You will get two answers to this question, and both are (in their own way) right. So in the end you will have to decide on your own which side to believe in.

The "no" camp: Those who feel that in the Windows Home Server environment, you won't see a significant benefit to defragmenting. This is because your home network is probably not (no matter what you may think) optimized for high-speed data transfers. As a result, there are significant bottlenecks that will mask the relatively small performance improvement defragmenting provides. Also in this category are those who feel that defragmenting doesn't deliver the real-world results that industry sponsored studies seem to promise, and those who have found that a defragmenting tool has, at some point, caused significant operational issues that outweigh (at least in their minds) the performance benefits.

The "yes" camp: You'll find that defragmenting does indeed speed up sequential reads of large files, because those files are now laid down on the hard disk in sequential sectors. It also speeds up some other operations, at least to some extent.
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Tuesday, December 8, 2009 4:54 PM