WHS 2011 Backup problem in Hyper-V RRS feed

• Question

• So I have been running WHS V1 in Hyper-V for a while now and it works great. My upgrade path to WHS 2011 is to install it on the same Hyper-V machine and copy all the data over. Everything was going just great until I tried to run a backup of the server once I had all the data copied over. WHS 2011 is itself running from a VHD but the rest of my hard drives are connected as physical drives, including the backup drive. I start the backup and the system partition backs up just fine, but when it goes to backup the first hard drive, which is a 1.5 TB drive with about 475 GB on it, it fails about halfway through. The backup screen in WHS 2011 says "The request could not be performed because of an I/O device error". When I go into the Hyper-V manager the drive that WHS was attempting to backup to is gone. The funny thing is that WHS can still see the drive. I can remove it from being the backup drive and can read the files off of it. If I pop the drive out of the server bay it is in and put it back in Hyper-V doesn't find it. If I put it into a different drive bay Hyper-V doesn't find it, it's like Hyper-V has somehow marked this drive as bad. If I reboot the Hyper-V server however the drive comes back. This same thing has happened twice now, after the first time I removed the drive from being the backup drive, reformatted it and tried a second time, same result. I ran a chkdsk on the drive and it came back clean. 

I have copied almost 2 TBs of data onto the drives in the WHS 2011 machine with no problems, it was only when I went to do the backup that I had the problem.

Has anyone seen a similar problem or have any idea what the issue might be?

Thanks,

-Bill

Saturday, April 23, 2011 10:29 PM

All replies

• So, I don't this this is an issue with WHS 2011 OR Hyper-V, I think it is an issue with my SuperMico SASLP-MV8 disk controller. When I connected the same drive to a port directly on the MB everything backed up fine. So, still investigating and trying to find a solution. 

-Bill

Monday, April 25, 2011 12:35 AM