Windows XP home product key invalid! RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

I have read many peoples posts on how they went about fixing this issue while I have had no such luck. Im reinstalling windows XP home edition on my girlfriends computer. She doesnt have a disc so I am using mine to reinstall because her product key is posted on the sticker on the side of her desktop's tower. I insert my cd and delete existing partitions and format the full hard drive for windows XP. I am using a cd with service pack 3 already on it to speed up the process after installation and all goes well until I am prompt to choose a language which I chose the default English then clicked on next, entered name and organization information, clicked next, turned the tower side ways and began to enter the product key off the sticker, I get a pop up saying INVALID PRODUCT KEY, I checked and re-entered it at least 5 times without any success... Without being able to click on activate on the desktop I cannot get the information I require to be able to call and get this problem fixed and NO WHERE on the microsoft website can I find the number I need to call to get this all figured out. I called someone and they told me I had to get this information off my computer even though I cant. PLEASE any information that can help me out would be most appreciated. I am running low on time with school starting back up soon and a full time job and just want to get this over with.

Thanks,

Chris (blind_H0bo)

Friday, June 18, 2010 1:43 AM

Answers

• Hello Blind_H0bo,

You are trying to use a retail installation disc with an OEM product key (the product key on the Certificate of Authenticity affixed to GF's computer).

This is not supposed to work, so the error message you are getting is expected.

If GF's computer is a name brand computer, the best course of action is to get the manufacturer's recovery disc(s) for this exact make and model from the manufacturer.  If available they are generally $25 or less to order.

If GF's computer is a no-name "white box" or "clone", and the second line of the CoA states "OEM Software" or "OEM Product," indicating that this is a "systembuilder/OEM" license.  If so, see this MS KB article for info on how to order a genuine Microsoft hologrammed installation disc:  http://support.microsoft.com/kb/326246.

Buy Office 2007 Now, Get Office 2010 Free http://office2010.microsoft.com/en-us/tech-guarantee/microsoft-office-2010-technology-guarantee-FX101825695.aspx?CTT=97
    Friday, June 18, 2010 3:12 AM

All replies

• I just got ahold of customer support with the help of some other websites giving out phone numbers for the US and got some suprising news to say the least. I had the woman on the support hotline check my Product key that was printed and posted on the side of the HP computer and she said that it was for Office 2007 Pro... That wasnt even out when this computer was purchased. I could really use some help on this one.
    Friday, June 18, 2010 2:03 AM
  • Hello Blind_H0bo,

You are trying to use a retail installation disc with an OEM product key (the product key on the Certificate of Authenticity affixed to GF's computer).

This is not supposed to work, so the error message you are getting is expected.

If GF's computer is a name brand computer, the best course of action is to get the manufacturer's recovery disc(s) for this exact make and model from the manufacturer.  If available they are generally $25 or less to order.

If GF's computer is a no-name "white box" or "clone", and the second line of the CoA states "OEM Software" or "OEM Product," indicating that this is a "systembuilder/OEM" license.  If so, see this MS KB article for info on how to order a genuine Microsoft hologrammed installation disc:  http://support.microsoft.com/kb/326246.

Buy Office 2007 Now, Get Office 2010 Free http://office2010.microsoft.com/en-us/tech-guarantee/microsoft-office-2010-technology-guarantee-FX101825695.aspx?CTT=97
    Friday, June 18, 2010 3:12 AM