Not enough disk space error with 2T free and empty Sys drive RRS feed

• Question

• Hi dudes,

I've searched all over and can't find a solution to this. I get the error that "there is not enough free disk space" when I copy files to the WHS.

Because of this error I added 2 more 1 TB drives to the WHS. I read the Drive Extender Technical Brief which says that files are grouped together on the same drive based on create time. Disk Managent Add-on says:

Disk 0 - 931GB 2% - sys
    Disk 1 - 931GB 99%
    Disk 2 - 931GB 97%
    Disk 3 - 931GB 0%
    Disk 4 - 931GB 0%

I've removed and added the empty drives twice. I've rebooted all machines. All machines fully patched. No backups and no folder duplications. The Drive D properties on the server say 2.76 TB FREE.  File moves are using UNC path to server - not a mapped drive letter. Chkdsk completes with no errors.

=> How do I solve the "not enough free space" error?
    => A drive filled to 99% capacity is DANGEROUS! What is with that? It's a 1T drive with 2GB free space. 

Thanks much for any help you can provide.
    Tuesday, February 24, 2009 5:02 AM

Answers

• This is wack - the disk space error when away when I turned ON folder duplication for a few folders.

This drive management technology has cool benefits but if you've read teh tech brief you know what a complete hack it is. I mean seriously, it needs to run a daily chkdsk to repair the errors before all the pointers to pointers get too far gone. Basically the programmers expect things to get all screwed up wiht something as basic as file storage. I'll never reccomend the WHS to someone that isn't a full-time sys admin. Regular people wouldn't put up with the flakeyness.

And now one of my drives is 100% full while i have three nearly empty 1 TB drives - Disk Managment says 1.32GB free on a 1TB drive - this is a dangerous practice and would never fly in a data critical environment.

I've lost all trust in this thing and am just waiting for my data to be destroyed by it.
    • Marked as answer by RodgerKeesee Tuesday, February 24, 2009 7:09 AM
    Tuesday, February 24, 2009 7:09 AM

All replies

• This is wack - the disk space error when away when I turned ON folder duplication for a few folders.

This drive management technology has cool benefits but if you've read teh tech brief you know what a complete hack it is. I mean seriously, it needs to run a daily chkdsk to repair the errors before all the pointers to pointers get too far gone. Basically the programmers expect things to get all screwed up wiht something as basic as file storage. I'll never reccomend the WHS to someone that isn't a full-time sys admin. Regular people wouldn't put up with the flakeyness.

And now one of my drives is 100% full while i have three nearly empty 1 TB drives - Disk Managment says 1.32GB free on a 1TB drive - this is a dangerous practice and would never fly in a data critical environment.

I've lost all trust in this thing and am just waiting for my data to be destroyed by it.
    • Marked as answer by RodgerKeesee Tuesday, February 24, 2009 7:09 AM
    Tuesday, February 24, 2009 7:09 AM
  • RodgerKeesee said:

This is wack - the disk space error when away when I turned ON folder duplication for a few folders.

This drive management technology has cool benefits but if you've read teh tech brief you know what a complete hack it is. I mean seriously, it needs to run a daily chkdsk to repair the errors before all the pointers to pointers get too far gone.

No, it works just fine.

RodgerKeesee said:

Basically the programmers expect things to get all screwed up wiht something as basic as file storage. I'll never reccomend the WHS to someone that isn't a full-time sys admin. Regular people wouldn't put up with the flakeyness.

There are lots and lots and lots of people that use it and it works just fine for them.

RodgerKeesee said:

And now one of my drives is 100% full while i have three nearly empty 1 TB drives

That's normal.

RodgerKeesee said:

Disk Managment says 1.32GB free on a 1TB drive

That's also normal (and, by the way, accessing the server desktop is unsupported).

RodgerKeesee said: this is a dangerous practice and would never fly in a data critical environment.

There is nothing wrong with it.  It's like that for a reason.  It's working as designed.

RodgerKeesee said:

Wednesday, February 25, 2009 4:21 AM