Why not multiple firewalls and/or antivirus? RRS feed

• Question

• I am currently using the free 120 day trial of OneCare that came with my Vaio laptop upon purchase. I am also trying to run AVG 8.0 (free) to increase my security. I know that OneCare says there are compatibility issues with having multiple firewalls and/or antivirus programs active at once, but I'm wondering if there is any way around this. It seems like (and I've heard from a reliable source) that multiple firewalls and/or antivirus programs make the computer more difficult to gain unwanted remote access to, what issues will OneCare give me should I keep AVG, and how can I work around those issues to keep OneCare running at peak performance? I am interested in purchasing OneCare, but I need to know if this is something that it can handle.

Thanks.
    Wednesday, January 21, 2009 7:56 AM

Answers

• The answer is quite simple, actually. By running multiple programs that monitor activity and file/memory access, you are using more resources, first of all. Secondly, it creates a deadlock condition where each "scanner" is trying to intercept the calls to read/write/load the code at the same time. And, in the worst case, this deadlock can crash one or the other scanner or even the system. As for the firewall, it is similar. The firewall sites between the calls to the network and the processing. So, now you have two programs trying to intercept and verify all traffic heading into and out of the system. Once again, a deadlock can occur.
    There is no good reason to have more than one active scanner or firewall running.
    -steve
    Microsoft MVP Windows Live / Windows Live OneCare Forum Moderator
    Wednesday, January 21, 2009 12:26 PM