Files not reappearing after fresh install of OS X RRS feed

• Question

• I have performed a fresh install of OS X Leopard last night, assuming that my two main folders (documents and images) were safely somewhere in the cloud. I expected them to download to my 'new system' again after having formatted and having installed Live Mesh again (and adding the new system as a new device).

But they didn't.
    Why?

I tricked them into downloading by changing the folder's names - making the sync-engine thing that they were updated and that they actually did have to be downloaded. So far, so good.

Yesterday, the Mesh-wheel got spinning and the desktop client put placeholders and downloaded some of the files. Today however, the client is doing nothing more than spinning and telling me that it has downloaded 0 of 4,1 GB.

I suppose it's not downloading any more files - thus anxiously keeping my precious files locked up in the cloud.

What's going wrong?
    Is there a way I can force the client to download all the files?
    Can it be it's actually downloading but just failing to let me know?
    This is making me nervous!

(Full disclosure: I'm on the brink of getting an external hard drive for my wedding day, at the end of this month. From then on, I will (of course!) make secundary backups.)
    Monday, January 12, 2009 4:33 PM

Answers

• hellomcfly said:

Ben [Live Mesh] said:

Hi,

So, if I understand correctly you have ~4GB of data to download from your Live Desktop?  I'm not sure from your post above, however, if some or the files have downloaded (synced) or not.  That is, you've reported that Live Mesh reports 0 or 4.1GB downloaded, but if you look in the folders on your Mac, are any of the files actually present?  If not one file has synced to the Mac since last night, please do file a bug report for us.  If, however, you find that some of the files have appeared on your Mac it may be that Live Mesh is syncing the files (but ~4GB will take a while to download).

Please let us know how this goes, and I'll continue to try to supplement Steve's help.  (Steve: thanks for you help on the forums this morning!)

Ben.

Some files actually have downloaded. There are a few files that arrived safely and a lot of others that are just wlx-type placeholders.

I understand your suggestion that the files are actually coming my way. Sounds pretty reasonable. On the other hand: I have kept the syncing engine running for about three or four hours now (on a 30 MB/s speed).

Should I just wait?

Hi,

Since some of the files have in fact synced, I would advise giving it more time if you can.  Live Mesh tries to use your internet bandwidth "intelligently" (rather than hog it all, say) - so it may be that it's just going more slowly than you expected.  Again, though, if some of the files have synced, and you're seeing .wlx placeholders for others, it would appear that sync operations are proceeding - thus, that you should have all of your files back on your Mac eventually.  If you have need of a particular file right away, you should be able to download it manually from your Live Desktop.

Please continue to let me know how this is going, and I'll follow up if you encounter any problems.

Thanks,

Ben.
    Monday, January 12, 2009 6:01 PM

All replies

• I can't tell you why the files are not downloading, the team may want you to submit a bug, but you should be able to manually download the files from the Live Desktop.
    And, yes, you really do need to have these files backed up somewhere else as Live Mesh is actually Pre-beta, meaning things can go very wrong with your data... :-0

-steve
    Microsoft MVP Windows Live / Windows Live OneCare Forum Moderator
    Monday, January 12, 2009 4:57 PM
  • Thanks for being so fast, Steve!

Could it help me if I fire up another (Windows?) machine to download the files?
    Monday, January 12, 2009 5:15 PM
  • You're welcome. It's all in the timing - I happened to be checking the forum for new activity...

I don't have a Mac, but can you access the Live Desktop from the Mac to download? If not, you can certainly connect to the Live Desktop from any Windows machine to download your files.
    -steve
    Microsoft MVP Windows Live / Windows Live OneCare Forum Moderator
    Monday, January 12, 2009 5:31 PM
  • hellomcfly said:

I have performed a fresh install of OS X Leopard last night, assuming that my two main folders (documents and images) were safely somewhere in the cloud. I expected them to download to my 'new system' again after having formatted and having installed Live Mesh again (and adding the new system as a new device).

But they didn't.
    Why?

I tricked them into downloading by changing the folder's names - making the sync-engine thing that they were updated and that they actually did have to be downloaded. So far, so good.

Yesterday, the Mesh-wheel got spinning and the desktop client put placeholders and downloaded some of the files. Today however, the client is doing nothing more than spinning and telling me that it has downloaded 0 of 4,1 GB.

I suppose it's not downloading any more files - thus anxiously keeping my precious files locked up in the cloud.

What's going wrong?
    Is there a way I can force the client to download all the files?
    Can it be it's actually downloading but just failing to let me know?
    This is making me nervous!

(Full disclosure: I'm on the brink of getting an external hard drive for my wedding day, at the end of this month. From then on, I will (of course!) make secundary backups.)

Hi,

So, if I understand correctly you have ~4GB of data to download from your Live Desktop?  I'm not sure from your post above, however, if some or the files have downloaded (synced) or not.  That is, you've reported that Live Mesh reports 0 or 4.1GB downloaded, but if you look in the folders on your Mac, are any of the files actually present?  If not one file has synced to the Mac since last night, please do file a bug report for us.  If, however, you find that some of the files have appeared on your Mac it may be that Live Mesh is syncing the files (but ~4GB will take a while to download).

Please let us know how this goes, and I'll continue to try to supplement Steve's help.  (Steve: thanks for you help on the forums this morning!)

Ben.
    Monday, January 12, 2009 5:42 PM
  • What do you mean by accessing the Live Desktop from the Mac to download?
    I can actually view my files, but I haven't found a way to download them from the web client. It would really help me if that would be possible.

Is there a way to download them from the Live Desktop?
    Monday, January 12, 2009 5:45 PM
  • hellomcfly said:

What do you mean by accessing the Live Desktop from the Mac to download?

I can actually view my files, but I haven't found a way to download them from the web client. It would really help me if that would be possible.

Is there a way to download them from the Live Desktop?

If you go to your Live Desktop and double-click one of your files, you should be given the option to save it to your computer.  Are you not seeing that?

Ben.
    Monday, January 12, 2009 5:49 PM
  • Ben [Live Mesh] said:

Hi,

Ben.

Some files actually have downloaded. There are a few files that arrived safely and a lot of others that are just wlx-type placeholders.

I understand your suggestion that the files are actually coming my way. Sounds pretty reasonable. On the other hand: I have kept the syncing engine running for about three or four hours now (on a 30 MB/s speed).

Should I just wait?
    Monday, January 12, 2009 5:55 PM
  • hellomcfly said:

Ben [Live Mesh] said:

Hi,

Ben.

Should I just wait?

Hi,

Since some of the files have in fact synced, I would advise giving it more time if you can.  Live Mesh tries to use your internet bandwidth "intelligently" (rather than hog it all, say) - so it may be that it's just going more slowly than you expected.  Again, though, if some of the files have synced, and you're seeing .wlx placeholders for others, it would appear that sync operations are proceeding - thus, that you should have all of your files back on your Mac eventually.  If you have need of a particular file right away, you should be able to download it manually from your Live Desktop.

Please continue to let me know how this is going, and I'll follow up if you encounter any problems.

Thanks,

Ben.
    Monday, January 12, 2009 6:01 PM
  • Great, I just waited and it worked! I must say that the app isn't always downloading, though. Lots of times it just doesn't do anything (or at least it looks like it). Maybe there's some bug fixing to do in the Mac desktop version?

Thanks for all the help!
    Thursday, January 22, 2009 8:45 PM