Another bad Microsoft day...... They are getting much more frequent....Christmas is coming Apple is looking good RRS feed

• Question

•  

Today I upgraded my home system for my kids with a new motherboard, memory, CPU to run Windows XP professional better.  It ended up in a black screen.  Downgraded to Windows 2000 professional and it worked perfectly although it won't run any of the games I bought it for for my kids.  Works fine when I do not try to upgrade my old XP with Microsoft update.  Another Microsoft Mom looking over me...  I come home since I was upgrading my second computer my youngest son asked me to install our legally bought version of lego star wars II which was installed on my XP system and my new Vista system told me it was an illegal copy not an original disk.  Second time Microsoft has called me a thief in one day and yet again they have liabled me (class action suit waiting to happen).  Apple is looking a lot better to me.  I can assure you that since I am a founder in my company and often upgrade my hardware and software and my friends and family's hardware and software that when I switch so will a lot of people and I will ask them to ask their friends to switch.  My company bought Real Basic today to start a project to replace Visual Basic and run Linix on our hardware.  We have a systems developer who has used it before and I approved the expense because who knows when our hardware will be shut down because it is not "authentic".  It is my opinion that if enough people switch to Apple we will get a great deal from Microsoft to also run Windows XP, "The new upgrade from Vista", the Apple advertisments are exactly right.  I am tired of being called a thief, being questioned every click of my mouse, if I do not get a resolution in 24 hours I am switching.

Bob O'Leary

Saturday, December 22, 2007 2:37 AM

Answers

• Hello Bob,

Curious prior performing your upgrade did you review what the hardware requirements needed for running Windows XP Professional? Are you using used parts to upgrade your children's comptuer or new parts?  There are minimal as well as suggested requirements for any operating system to run @ it's optimal. 

We request all users initially run the Genuine Diagnostics tool to try and identify the issue you may be having.

Download and run the utility at this link http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=52012 , then click the Windows tab, Copy to Clipboard, then paste the report into a New Post on this Forum. Bob this allows us to see what you are currently experiencing. Next we will analyze the problem and work for a resolution. 

Step 2 is tell us about the COA. Tell us:

1. What edition of Windows XP is it for, Home, Pro, or Media Center?
    2. Does it read "OEM Software" or "OEM Product" in black lettering?
    3. Or, does it have the computer manufacturer's name in black lettering?
    4. DO NOT post the Product Key.
    5. Please also provide a short description of the issue you are experiencing.

NOTE: The data collected with the Genuine Diagnostics Tool does NOT contain any information that can personally identify you and can be fully reviewed, by you, before being posted.

Thank you,

Stephen Holm, MS

Monday, December 31, 2007 11:37 PM

All replies

• Bob O'Leary,

Incoherent rants belong here:  http://forums.microsoft.com/Genuine/ShowForum.aspx?ForumID=1003&SiteID=25

If you are having trouble installing Windows XP on new hardware, perhaps you should be consulting the hardware manufacturers' web sites to see if the hardware is certified for Windows XP and has WHQL-certified drivers.  Of course the best time to have done that would have been BEFORE you purchased the hardware.  If the hardware is certifed for XP and has WHQL drivers, then perhaps you should engage the services of a local computer shop with the expertise needed.

If the license for XP that was on the computer getting the hardware upgrades was an OEM license, please be informed that making such upgrades as you have described constitutes, for XP OEM licensing purposes, another computer, and the OEM license for XP is NOT permitted to be moved from the computer onto which it is first installed onto any other computer.

If your installation of Vista began to report itself as nongenuine immediately after installation of a game, you should check tos ee if the game is Vista compatible---some game software has components that have known incompatibilities with Vista that result in false nongenuine reports.  Please review the posts in this forum for further information:  http://forums.microsoft.com/Genuine/ShowForum.aspx?ForumID=1004&SiteID=25

Saturday, December 22, 2007 6:32 AM
  • Hello Bob,

Curious prior performing your upgrade did you review what the hardware requirements needed for running Windows XP Professional? Are you using used parts to upgrade your children's comptuer or new parts?  There are minimal as well as suggested requirements for any operating system to run @ it's optimal. 

We request all users initially run the Genuine Diagnostics tool to try and identify the issue you may be having.

Download and run the utility at this link http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=52012 , then click the Windows tab, Copy to Clipboard, then paste the report into a New Post on this Forum. Bob this allows us to see what you are currently experiencing. Next we will analyze the problem and work for a resolution. 

Step 2 is tell us about the COA. Tell us:

1. What edition of Windows XP is it for, Home, Pro, or Media Center?
    2. Does it read "OEM Software" or "OEM Product" in black lettering?
    3. Or, does it have the computer manufacturer's name in black lettering?
    4. DO NOT post the Product Key.
    5. Please also provide a short description of the issue you are experiencing.

NOTE: The data collected with the Genuine Diagnostics Tool does NOT contain any information that can personally identify you and can be fully reviewed, by you, before being posted.

Thank you,

Stephen Holm, MS

Monday, December 31, 2007 11:37 PM