pc at risk RRS feed

• Question

• First time here, hope I do this right. When I turn my laptop on, onecare pops up with a message that states my wife's laptop is at risk due to firewall, antivirus, spyware, etc. being turned off. True, due to the fact the laptop is not on. The same message shows up on my desktop pc. I haven't found any solution on my own. I am open to any and all suggestions. Thanks

Thursday, June 26, 2008 2:30 AM

Answers

• I moved your post to the Multi-PC Management topic.

Other have reported this problem and I'm not aware of a definitive solution.

Have a look at this thread, in particular: http://forums.microsoft.com/WindowsOneCare/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=2525334&SiteID=2

Some people have reported that reinstalling OneCare on the mis-reported status PC and/or the hub has solved the issue and others have noted that this did not help. You can, however, change your PC to no longer be a hub in the Circle and you won't see the warning any longer regarding the other PC.

-steve

Thursday, June 26, 2008 12:57 PM

All replies

• I moved your post to the Multi-PC Management topic.

Other have reported this problem and I'm not aware of a definitive solution.

Have a look at this thread, in particular: http://forums.microsoft.com/WindowsOneCare/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=2525334&SiteID=2

Some people have reported that reinstalling OneCare on the mis-reported status PC and/or the hub has solved the issue and others have noted that this did not help. You can, however, change your PC to no longer be a hub in the Circle and you won't see the warning any longer regarding the other PC.

-steve

Thursday, June 26, 2008 12:57 PM
  • I can add more to this. After the other laptop is turned on, the at risk warning goes away immediately, and everything is fine. My desktop (with XP) doesn't set off any warnings when it is off. 

Friday, June 27, 2008 1:39 AM
  • When your wife's laptop is turned on, it sends its status to your Hub, which is why it immediately updates the status to green/good. When it is off, your laptop only knows the last state, which was off - as the laptop was being shut down, the services are being shut down and I suspect that your wife's laptop (and others experiencing this problem) is communicating this fact before it powers off. The OneCare servers (and your PC, if on at the time) get this message and your hub shows her laptop at risk.

-steve

Friday, June 27, 2008 12:47 PM