Is there a way to PUSH a system restore to a client? RRS feed

• Question

• I've got a backed-up client on which I ran Windows Update, and it apparently installed the wrong video driver.  Net result is that I no longer have any video output, including during boot.  That in turn makes it so I can't restore to Last Known Good state, since I can't read the boot list, nor can I log on.  I do have remote file access to the C drive, but RDP isn't enabled on the machine.  Also can't access the machine via WMI Studio, probably due to firewall settings.

I'm hoping there's a trick or a plug-in which can prevent the computer from staying a paperweight.

Thanks!

jim
    • Moved by Ken WarrenModerator Wednesday, January 6, 2010 4:44 PM backup/restore question, not add-in question (From:Windows Home Server Add-Ins and Developer Information)
    Wednesday, January 6, 2010 12:44 PM

Answers

• If you can't see the DOS mode boot screens (which I think is what you're saying) can you see/get into the BIOS? If not, try another video card, even a cheap PCI card. It's more likely to be dead video hardware, which Windows Home Server won't fix.

Most likely Windows Home Server isn't going to help you unless it's purely a driver issue. If you can see the BIOS, and DOS mode boot screens, then you can try booting the restore CD and restore that way. Or you can try removing the drive from that client, connecting it to another client, and running C:\Program Files\Windows Home Server\clientrestorewizard.exe on that client, to restore the drive that way.

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Wednesday, January 6, 2010 4:39 PM