Livemesh fails to sync RRS feed

• Question

• I've been using livemesh for a while and I have to say it's pretty bad, even for a beta. Granted it's rather stable, it doesn't do what it's supposed to, however. I've been having problems with syncing files for months.

The scenario is pretty simple: Two computers on a LAN, I can use livemesh as a VNC and manually transfer files between them without problems (which is a great feature, I love it!), but automatic syncing just doesn't work.

I've got two folders which should be synced. Settings are set properly, that is both machines have When files are added or modified. However when I add or modify the files, the other machine simply doesn't sync the files.

Not even going offline/online fixes this. I have to actually use the remote desktop functionality and copy/paste the files manually. This feature works great, but hey, isn't this stuff supposed to be automatic?

A thing that would greatly benefit the software is giving the end-user more control. I realize that building idiot-proof and fully automated software is one of the development goals here, but in this particular case we can clearly see that the software isn't smart enough to operate automatically and silently. I believe giving the users more information and options (that is, some basic debugging capability, status/error viewing) would be required, at least at this stage.

Tuesday, May 25, 2010 4:28 PM

Answers

• Automatic syncing has worked for me for the most part with a couple exceptions. One is that the file to be sync'd has to be closed, not just saved (maybe the program, too?). This is a pain when collaborating remotely on a project. Kind of makes sense though. The other issue is when you're wanting a specific file to be sync'd and all you can do is wait for the mesh to do it's magic. Sounds like this could be at least part of your issue as well. It would be great to have some kind of "Sync now" option in addition to the automatic syncing.

-Joe 

Thursday, May 27, 2010 4:34 AM

All replies

• Automatic syncing has worked for me for the most part with a couple exceptions. One is that the file to be sync'd has to be closed, not just saved (maybe the program, too?). This is a pain when collaborating remotely on a project. Kind of makes sense though. The other issue is when you're wanting a specific file to be sync'd and all you can do is wait for the mesh to do it's magic. Sounds like this could be at least part of your issue as well. It would be great to have some kind of "Sync now" option in addition to the automatic syncing.

-Joe 

Thursday, May 27, 2010 4:34 AM
  • I've marked Joe's reply as answer, though I considered changing the thread type to discussion from question.

Basically, when automatic sync doesn't ever work, the solution tends to be a complete uninstall and removal of the devices from the mesh at www.mesh.com followed by a reinstall and creation of the sync relationships. Note that Live Mesh won't sync through a proxy server, but since you are using RDP I doubt that this is your issue.

-steve

~ Microsoft MVP Windows Live ~ Windows Live OneCare| Live Mesh|MS Security Essentials Forums Moderator ~
    Tuesday, June 1, 2010 12:57 PM