Windows Live OneCare not worth the money or renewal RRS feed

• General discussion

•  

Since Microsoft doesn't really care about what customers think about Windows Live OneCare by receiving direct emails to the company, why would customers care about renewing OneCare.  OneCare doesn't have many more features than what are already provided on the operating system.  This program should be part of the Windows OS without any additional cost to purchasing the Microsoft's OS's. 

Another Microsoft ripoff!

Thursday, May 15, 2008 4:24 PM

All replies

• Sorry to hear You are not happy with OneCare and hope you will come back someday.

chuck

Thursday, May 15, 2008 4:56 PM
  • Traceguy,

We've been through this many times. Windows doesn't include an Anti-virus and several of the other items included like Anti-spyware, an outbound firewall and backup are improved in OneCare to make them more easily manageable in a home environment.

Since some users will prefer to purchase their protection from someone else, it's best not to include OneCare in Windows, since it would simply create problems with installing the other protection anyway. Besides, if MS did include it they'd be immediately sued by all the other AV vendors for unfair competition anyway.

Microsoft provides OneCare at a fair annual subscription price with complete updates to the program included as well as the usual detection updates. They also offer both Windows Defender and the Online OneCare Safety Scanner for free, so only an Anti-virus is really required and several other vendors offer those for free too.

OneCareBear

Thursday, May 15, 2008 6:47 PM
  • Was the sue comment fact, or just your opinion.  I think the sue excuse is over used and just an excuse.  The option of including Anti-virus  should be given to customers, as other vendors offer it for free.  Why not MS? 

If other vendors are offering their AV software for free, why doesn't MS offer OneCare for free as an option to be included in the OS? 

The sue excuse doesn't work for me.

Thanks

Thursday, May 15, 2008 7:03 PM
  • Traceguy,

Why would you say that Microsoft doesn't care? If you have feedback about OneCare you can submit it here, use the feedback form at http://feedback.live.com, or send postal snail mail to Microsoft, addressed to OneCare and it will be looked at and taken seriously.

As for features, I beg to differ with you. OneCare may use some functionality that exists in Windows, but adds much more that I won't list.

As for making it part of the OS for free, I suspect that the developers of the many 3rd party security products that you can choose to use instead of OneCare would line up in court to sue Microsoft if that were to ever happen.

-steve

Thursday, May 15, 2008 7:24 PM
  •  Stephen Boots wrote:

As for making it part of the OS for free, I suspect that the developers of the many 3rd party security products that you can choose to use instead of OneCare would line up in court to sue Microsoft if that were to ever happen.

-steve

Especially the EU, lol.

Thursday, May 15, 2008 11:45 PM