Automatically Assign an Email from a Queue RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,
    I'm in a lookout for a solution to this situation described below. Anyboby, any solution?
    I have a queue set up for my Service department that all emails sent to support@companyname.co.uk go to.

When an email comes in regarding an existing case it has the CRM Tracking number on it. Is there a way to automatically assign this email to the engineer who owns the regarding case, therefore removing it from the main Queue into their individual Queue? If not is there a way to get a notification to the engineer that the email has arrived?

I would assume workflows but I can't see how to do it as there is no link from an email to a queue that I can find.

Best Regards,
    Gagandeep Singh
    http://mscrmnovice.blogspot.com
    Friday, April 9, 2010 10:26 PM

Answers

• Got it, so the company requires masking the From field to a generic value support@companyname.com

If you want to do this without customization my suggestion is to create another queue and route reply e-mails to that queue via a workflow.  Let's call the queue Support Replies.  I did this for a company and basically what I did was look at all e-mails created and if the e-mail was to the support@companyname and the subject line contained the value "CRM:" (that is what was used as the prefix for the tracking token) then I routed the e-mail out of the Support Queue and into the Support Reply queue.  Then I sent a notification to the designated manager to let him or her know there was a new message.  The queue manager looked  at the e-mail and assigned it to the correct support tech.

There are other options, I just don't know what is acceptable to the client. 

If you want this fully automated, then you will most likely need to create a custom workflow or other customization that looks at e-mails sent to the Support Queue where there is a tracking token and then does some searches in the db to find the original e-mail with the tracking token, finds the regarding Case thus finding the current Case Owner and forwards the e-mail.

Of course all of the above depends on the client not changing the subject line of the e-mail.  You may want to research some other method for setting a flag in the so you can easily track back to the Regarding Case of the original e-mail. 

Unfortunately, I don't know of a place to capture the actual senders e-mail address, hide that from the recipient yet have it persist in the e-mail correspondence.  Ideally that is the solution.  because then you have the e-mail address and can simply create a workflow to forward the e-mail or create a rule on Exchange to forward the e-mail rather than put it in the queue.  I'm sure there is a way to do it, but since I'm not a developer, I don't have the answer.  Andriy would probably be a good person to contact as he is very creative with these types of solutions.  He is very active on the forum.  See if you can contact him and see if he has a suggestion to persist the support tech's e-mail address or other option for doing the lookup or track back to the Case Owner.

You can also have a look at this line to see if it provides some ideas or helps.

http://crmqueuemanager.codeplex.com/Wikipage

Best Regards | Twitter: edwardsdna
    Saturday, April 10, 2010 7:10 PM

All replies

• Hi Gagandeep,

If the incoming e-mail has a tracking token then that means it there was an original e-mail sent from CRM.  Who sent the original e-mail that was updated with the tracking token?  It seems that the process should be that reply e-mails should go to the person who sent the e-mail and not a queue? 

If having the e-mail go to the queue is a requirement then there are a few options, there are others I'm sure but this is what comes to mind:

Requires Customization

Develop some customization that parses out the tracking token on the e-mail, does a look up in the db for other e-mails with the same tracking token in the subject line finds the Regarding Case #, obtains the current Case owner and routes the e-mail to the Case owner or sends a notification that a message is waiting in the queue.

No Customization but requires some manual process

Create a workflow on the e-mail entity that checks each created e-mail.  If the e-mail is To the queue e-mail address and the subject line contains RE: or CRM: (if that is the prefix used for the tracking token), then route that e-mail to another queue and send a notification to someone who is designated as the queue manager.  The Queue Manager can assign the e-mail to the correct support person and set the Regarding on the E-mail to the Case.  You can have another e-mail that watches for the Regarding field to change on an e-mail and when the Regarding changes, if the Regarding is set to a Case, send a notification to the Case owner that they have a new message from the client.

Those are a couple of options to help you think about some solutions.  I still don't think having reply e-mails going to a queue is the best business process and I would try to recommend a different flow.  I think there will come a tiime when the client will want e-mail exchanges to go directly to Case Owners rather than somewhere else which presents an unnecessary risk for failure.  I would try encourage the client to consider a more viable and productive solution like leveraging the CRM Outlook Client.  You could talk up the business, productive, and customer service benefits.

Saturday, April 10, 2010 12:40 AM
  • Hi Donna,

You are right with your statement "Replies must be sent to the Case Owner directly" and that is what I want to achieve. The replies do have a tracking token appended to the e-mail Subject but the reply also has support@companyname.co.uk in the To of the e-mail. Now how can I redirect this e-mail to the Case Owner directly using a workflow when the only reference I have is the tracking token on the e-mail Subject?

I feel this requires some level of customization until the e-mail router can help in some way.

Best Regards,
    Gagandeep Singh
    Saturday, April 10, 2010 8:57 AM
  • So what I am trying to understand is the initial reply to the customer.  When a CRM user is assigned an e-mail from the support queue and then replies to that e-mail, doesn't the From on the E-mail have the Case Owner's name?  If the customer then replies to that e-mail it should go directly back to the Case Owner rather than the support@companyname because that e-mail address is no longer associated but is replaced with the Support Tech's e-mail.  If that is not happening, then maybe you could consider some javascript to replace the support@..... e-mail address in the "From" with the user's e-mail address that created the e-mail, which in this case is the new Case Owner.

You're right, if you want to direct a reply that is addressed to the support queue back to the Case Owner then you will need some customization.  However, if the client is willing, you can use a workflow to direct the reply into a different queue and send some notification to a queue Manager to assign the e-mail to the appropriate Case Owner.

Saturday, April 10, 2010 1:44 PM
  • Ok, now you are with me :)

Yes when CRM User is assigned an e-mail from the support queue and then replies to that e-mail, the Case Owner's name appears in the From on the e-mail. Here I have configured e-mail router to send e-mails from a specific e-mail ID (which is support@companyname). That is the reason I am able to achieve the hurdle (client requirement) of sending e-mails from a common e-mail address. What I have also noticed is the Sender(From) in the EmailBase table in SQL Server contains the Case Owner's e-mail as he is sending the e-mail. It is only at the e-mail router level that I change this.

Now when the Customer hits reply, the e-mail is sure to get back into the Customer Support Queue. The question is how do I re-route this e-mail to the Case Owner or may be there is some other way of looking at it? Is this a real world scenario?

Best Regards,
    Gagandeep Singh
    Saturday, April 10, 2010 2:22 PM
  • Got it, so the company requires masking the From field to a generic value support@companyname.com

If you want to do this without customization my suggestion is to create another queue and route reply e-mails to that queue via a workflow.  Let's call the queue Support Replies.  I did this for a company and basically what I did was look at all e-mails created and if the e-mail was to the support@companyname and the subject line contained the value "CRM:" (that is what was used as the prefix for the tracking token) then I routed the e-mail out of the Support Queue and into the Support Reply queue.  Then I sent a notification to the designated manager to let him or her know there was a new message.  The queue manager looked  at the e-mail and assigned it to the correct support tech.

There are other options, I just don't know what is acceptable to the client. 

If you want this fully automated, then you will most likely need to create a custom workflow or other customization that looks at e-mails sent to the Support Queue where there is a tracking token and then does some searches in the db to find the original e-mail with the tracking token, finds the regarding Case thus finding the current Case Owner and forwards the e-mail.

Of course all of the above depends on the client not changing the subject line of the e-mail.  You may want to research some other method for setting a flag in the so you can easily track back to the Regarding Case of the original e-mail. 

Unfortunately, I don't know of a place to capture the actual senders e-mail address, hide that from the recipient yet have it persist in the e-mail correspondence.  Ideally that is the solution.  because then you have the e-mail address and can simply create a workflow to forward the e-mail or create a rule on Exchange to forward the e-mail rather than put it in the queue.  I'm sure there is a way to do it, but since I'm not a developer, I don't have the answer.  Andriy would probably be a good person to contact as he is very creative with these types of solutions.  He is very active on the forum.  See if you can contact him and see if he has a suggestion to persist the support tech's e-mail address or other option for doing the lookup or track back to the Case Owner.

You can also have a look at this line to see if it provides some ideas or helps.

http://crmqueuemanager.codeplex.com/Wikipage

Saturday, April 10, 2010 7:10 PM