Can i reconnect a computer that has changed its network name? RRS feed

• Question

• Hi!

Im having a small problem here.

I have added my laptop from work to my WHS and it has backed it up fine for the last few months, however, now it refuses to connect to the home server as a backed up computer. It still has access to it with shared folders and all, but shows up as grey not connected in backups tab and the connector icon is grey in the task bar.

I think the reason for this is because the computer has changes its network name from EA-HP8 to ea-hp8.energima.alesund.local and this probably comes from the domain server in my company, so there is nothing i can do to change it back. Is there any way for me to reconnect it to the old EA-HP8 backups account, or do i need to delete that backup and make a new backup account for due to the name change?

Regards
    Lars
    Saturday, February 28, 2009 8:56 AM

Answers

• Actually the network name change didnt affect the the connectivity between the computer and WHS, i was fiddling with it and found that the firewall was blocking the WHS Connector from connecting to the WHS for backups. I unblocked it and it works fine. The name change seems to have no effect on the backups..

Thanks for all the help.

Regards
    Lars
    • Marked as answer by Skauber Sunday, March 1, 2009 7:46 AM
    Sunday, March 1, 2009 7:45 AM

All replies

• Lars,

If you need any files from those 'old' backups you can just Open them and copy the appropriate files. You cannot rename existing backups to your 'new' network name, so you can either leave the existing ones there and just use your new network name as a new Client, or you could delete the old backups and start again.

Colin

If anyone answers your query successfully, please mark it as 'Helpful', to guide other users.
    Saturday, February 28, 2009 6:08 PM
  • Actually the network name change didnt affect the the connectivity between the computer and WHS, i was fiddling with it and found that the firewall was blocking the WHS Connector from connecting to the WHS for backups. I unblocked it and it works fine. The name change seems to have no effect on the backups..

Thanks for all the help.

Regards
    Lars
    • Marked as answer by Skauber Sunday, March 1, 2009 7:46 AM
    Sunday, March 1, 2009 7:45 AM