none
Is your CPU to slow? what about the 512MB of memory RRS feed

• Question

• Guys,

i am looking at what cpu's to put into a new server that i am building and i am thinking that almost ANY current CPU will handle the load.

but since i havnt used my server in every config available i thought i would ask.

Is anyone having CPU usage issues? If so what CPU have you got and what are you doing to stress the CPU.

Also the same goes for the recommended 512MB memory.

Im currently running with a P4 2.8Ghz CPU with 768MB of ram and have had NO issues with the speed of this system.

Peter Rogers

Thursday, July 26, 2007 7:30 AM

All replies

• The general concensus seems to be that Disk I/O or Network bandwidth will bottleneck well before any modern CPU or 512mb. This assumes you are only performing the built-in functions of WHS on the server of course.

Once you throw on additional websites, database servers, e-mail, etc., you may find that you will need to upgrade, probably to at least 1GB RAM.

Given the small cost differential between a Celeron 4xx and Pentium Dual Core E2xxx or C2D E4xxx (all fairly power efficient), going with an E4320 might buy you some future proofing that will come in handy in the future.

On the RAM side, at about $40 for a 1GB DDR2 DIMM, it almost seems silly not to have at least this much RAM.

Thursday, July 26, 2007 6:02 PM
  •  

Thanks for the reply,

i fully expected the disk i/o and network i/o to be a bigger bottle neck than anything else.

thanks for the heads up on the memory use by the websites etc. i will be looking at 1gb of ram.

As for the CPU yeah a low end E4XXX type cpu is probably the go but i was also wondering what activities are the cpu hogs when running WHS.

people have mentioned media streaming but how much load does it put on a modern CPU etc.

Thursday, July 26, 2007 11:40 PM
  • I think CPU can be a bottleneck for streaming media. I was using a Celeron D 331  (2.66 GHz, 256 L2 Cache) with 512 MB RAM. That worked ok with streaming to my XBOX 360, but there was a lag between photos when doing the slide-show. I even upgraded to 1GB of RAM and the lag was still there. Finally, I upgraded the CPU to a Pentium D 930 (3.0 GHz 4MB L2 Cache) and now everything flies! Otherwise, everything still runs the same as before, but I was never running Halo 2 on my server !

But to repeat what was said before, disk speed (7,200 rpm and faster), I/O speeds (SATA 150/300, ATA 133,  USB 2.0, Firewire 400/800)) will be the true bottleneck with about 85% - 95% of what the WHS is intended to do.

Saturday, July 28, 2007 12:43 AM