Interesting OneCare Firewall problem RRS feed

• Question

• I installed Windows Live OneCare three days ago and have been experencing an interesting problem.  Several times, once just after I installed OneCare and three times after I started my computer out of stand by, my wireless cable modem stops and restarts three or four time before a stable internet connection in established.  I found this in the OneCare support log:

12/4/2007 6:28 PM The Firewall's on state has been changed to Normal.

12/4/2007 6:28 PM The Firewall's on state has been changed to Restricted.

12/4/2007 6:27 PM The Firewall's on state has been changed to Normal.

12/4/2007 6:27 PM The Firewall's on state has been changed to Normal.

12/4/2007 6:21 PM The Firewall's on state has been changed to AllowAll.

12/4/2007 6:19 PM The Firewall's on state has been changed to Normal.

12/4/2007 6:19 PM The Firewall's on state has been changed to Restricted.

12/4/2007 6:13 PM The Firewall's on state has been changed to Normal.

12/4/2007 6:13 PM The Firewall's on state has been changed to Restricted.

12/3/2007 5:24 PM The Firewall's on state has been changed to Normal.

12/3/2007 5:23 PM The Firewall's on state has been changed to Restricted.

12/3/2007 5:21 PM The Firewall's on state has been changed to Normal.

12/3/2007 5:21 PM The Firewall's on state has been changed to Restricted.

12/2/2007 7:44 PM The Firewall's on state has been changed to Normal.

12/2/2007 7:44 PM The Firewall's on state has been changed to Restricted.

12/2/2007 7:40 PM The Firewall's on state has been changed to Normal.

12/2/2007 7:39 PM The Firewall's on state has been changed to Restricted.

12/2/2007 12:11 AM The Firewall's on state has been changed to Normal.

12/2/2007 12:10 AM The Firewall's on state has been changed to Restricted.

12/2/2007 12:08 AM The Firewall's on state has been changed to Normal.

12/2/2007 12:08 AM The Firewall's on state has been changed to Restricted.

Any ideas?

I am running version 2.0.2500.12.

Thanks,

Michael

Wednesday, December 5, 2007 3:52 AM

Answers

• Michael, I suspect that you are seeing the results of the network detection which is trying to determine if you are connected to your own network or a public network, hence the change from Restricted to Normal. However, that doesn't explain why your router is rebooting/restarting. Please contact support to have this investigated as it may be caused by OneCare probing the router to make sure that security is enabled.

How to reach support (FAQ) - http://forums.microsoft.com/WindowsOneCare/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=2421771&SiteID=2

-steve

Wednesday, December 5, 2007 6:03 PM

All replies

• I have been desktop and latop networked together through a hub. File sharing and printer sharing worked fine until i installed OneCare after that the firewall wouldn't let them comunicate. I tried changing the setting for the firewall to allow file and printer setting and still nothing any help would be great.

{Moderator note} I'm hijacking this thread since the majority of it and the one I merged with it refer to a problem with the Motorola SBG900 modem resetting itself and dropped connections with OneCare 2.0 installed.

Saturday, July 28, 2007 4:40 PM
  • Check if location is set to public instead of Home and Work...

Saturday, July 28, 2007 11:07 PM
  • Hi, this is the first time doing this;

I have three computer all on a home network, one is a desktop with XP Professional, a notebook computer with XP Media Center, and another notebook with Vista Home Premium.  I downloaded the latest version of OneCare on the desktop, I guess it's the 2.0 version where it has the One Care Circle for sharing.  On the laptop with XP Media Center, I decided to update the OneCare on it, and on the Vista Notebook I didn't upgrade. 

On this past sunday I installed the Printer driver on the desktop and I noticed it asked if I wanted to share this printer, I said no, why would I share a network printer.  . That is when the problem started.

I was having frequent internet drops, I was resetting the modem, trying to solve the problem and sometimes I would see my modem reset by itself.  I called the cable company many times and they said there was no work being done in my area, and they couldn't figure it out.  The Technician came out and checked all my connections and found I had a faulty splitter so he replaced all two splitters.  Well it seemed to work okay until I decided to reboot my laptop, I observed the modem resetting itself 5 times, one after another.  I went and did the same on the desktop and the same thing happened, the modem reset itself 5 times, in a row, one after another.  After it stabalized the network was fine.  So I decided to just unplug my network cable from the laptop and when I plugged it back in; it reset again 5 times.  I thought this was really strange, I did go into the settings of OneCare and found that printer sharing was checked after I remembered saying 'no' too, and I unchecked it, I went to the notebook saw the same thing and I unchecked it.  After that I rebooted both XP stations and the modem still rebooted the same way.  Oh, and by the way the Vista Notebook was not creating this problem, I did reboot that one many times and the modem did not reboot. 

So I went ahead and uninstalled the onecare on both the XP laptop and the XP desktop and again reboot each one and it did not reset, I go wow this is amazing, what are they doing to my network, and I just paid for the subscription for a year, I'll have to figure out how to get that back. 

I was not a happy camper after all that, and I was wondering, you mentioned going in and setting the 'public instead of Home and Work'.  Where do you go do that in XP, I haven't been able to find it.

Don't misunderstand me I like OneCare I felt pretty protected when I was running the older version, but there seems to be a problem with the newer version. I would like to run it, but not when my modem resets.  I could be downloading a big file on another computer and I could forget and reboot for some reason on my laptop, it would cause grief on the other computer.  I can't live with that, I'm a student in college learning about this networking stuff, and I rely on the internet for homeworks online and that would be bad if I get disconnected.

Any help in resolving this issue would be much appreciated.

If you need more info let me know

Thanks

John

Saturday, December 1, 2007 2:08 AM
  • Clearly, John, your modem should be resetting itself when a PC with OneCare is on it boots up. It also should not cause your connection to drop. I can't even imagine why the modem would restart/reset upon a connection request from the PC. Unless it is not liking the probe from OneCare where OneCare is checking for security settings on the router. I'm assuming that you have a combination modem/router or do you have a modem and a router for your PCs?

And you mention a "network printer." Is that printer attached to a physical PC or is it a LAN device connected to the router? When OneCare detects a new local printer it will offer to share it. You can decline, but OneCare will still watch for other local printers or shared printers from other PCs, hence the reason it was still shown as on after you declined that one time.

To answer the Home/Work question, OneCare models the firewall settings based on the Vista Network and Sharing Center. In XP (and in Vista) open OneCare, change settings, Firewall, Configure Firewall button - you'll see it as Home or Public.

On this entire problem with the modem resets, I do suggest contacting support - 

How to reach support - http://forums.microsoft.com/WindowsOneCare/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=2421771&SiteID=2

-steve

Saturday, December 1, 2007 3:04 AM
  • Hello Steve, thanks for your quick reply; I did forget to mention the fact that my cable modem ia a Motorola SBG900, which is modem, router and wireless all as one physical unit.  My printer; which is a HP7410, all-in-one Officejet printer, is set for wireless networking and and is being handled by the wireless portion of the modem for routing to all pc's and that has been working fine.  I haven't plugged the printer into any pc since i got it about a year ago.  So my point is, it's never been plugged into a pc for sharing.  Of the two notebooks, mine, which is the XP Media Center, is disconnected from the network and taken to school with me so i can go on the school wireless for accessing internet when needed.

As far as my internet connection dropping, that was the most frustrating part.  Before I realized what was happening, with modem resetting from the two machines, I, physically was resetting the cable SBG900, by unplugging, pushing the reset button back to factory default, and rebooting my notebook all in that order to get new connection. Then I observed what was really going on.  I also noticed when I went into the modem, router set-up interface, I was seeing an extra ip address being leased to an an unknown, 'self-learned' MAC address, and I don't know where that was coming from, I guess the question would be, is OneCare actually setting itself up as a station?  After uninstalling OneCare, I did not get that extra station in my list.

I will install OneCare and try it again, but only on the Desktop, since I heavily rely on my notebook for school work, and see if I can search the help as mentioned on the link you gave me.

I just looked at my internal modem setup again, and do not see that extra MAC address in the "Lease Table."  However I do see that modem has a 'self learned' MAC address as that same 'strange' MAC address, and I'm not understanding what that's for.  Maybe I need to ask Motorola, or, maybe someone may know on here.

Again, Steve, I appreciate your reply and will take the steps accordingly, for I do want to use OneCare for protecting my pc's.

Thanks

John

Saturday, December 1, 2007 9:16 AM
  • I'm pretty sure that OneCare does not create a MAC address to connect. Good luck to you in getting this resolved.

-steve

Monday, December 3, 2007 1:56 AM
  • Michael, I suspect that you are seeing the results of the network detection which is trying to determine if you are connected to your own network or a public network, hence the change from Restricted to Normal. However, that doesn't explain why your router is rebooting/restarting. Please contact support to have this investigated as it may be caused by OneCare probing the router to make sure that security is enabled.

How to reach support (FAQ) - http://forums.microsoft.com/WindowsOneCare/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=2421771&SiteID=2

-steve

Wednesday, December 5, 2007 6:03 PM
  • Hi,

I think your suspection is right about the log entries.

In my log there were the same entries and I had network detection turned on. I've turned it off and those log entries have gone.

Jan Kuipers, Netherlands

Thursday, December 6, 2007 4:36 PM
  • Thanks for reporting your experience, Jan.

-steve

Friday, December 7, 2007 2:19 AM
  • You're welcome.

Jan

Friday, December 7, 2007 9:03 AM
  • Yeah I am having this exact same issue with no luck. Any help would be great.

Monday, December 10, 2007 12:03 AM
  •  Derek Scheuermann wrote:
    Yeah I am having this exact same issue with no luck. Any help would be great.

Derek, in OneCare, is your network identified as Private - Home or Work?

-steve

Monday, December 10, 2007 6:06 PM
  • It is identified as "Home/Work"

Any other info you need, feel free to ask.

I already contacted Tech Support with no luck. They told me to just to contact my isp and modem man. =/

Monday, December 10, 2007 9:38 PM
  •  

I have posted this exact same issue in another thread. By chance are you running a Motorola SBG900?

I still havent found a soluton to my problem, but if I do. I'll also post here the results.

Monday, December 10, 2007 9:46 PM
  • I do have a Motorola SBG900.  I am currently emailing back and forth with Microsoft about this issue.  If I get a solution, I'll make sure to post it.  It's nice to know it's not just me with this problem.  I'm running OneCare 2.0, but my Aunt is running version 1.7 and connected to the same modem and doesn't have this problem.  Are you running 2.0 too?

Tuesday, December 11, 2007 4:39 AM
  • Sadly yeah.

Just annoyed that they conflict with one another.

Yeah please do. And if I hear anything also, I'll be sure to post here as well.

Tuesday, December 11, 2007 4:49 PM
  •  Derek Scheuermann wrote:

It is identified as "Home/Work"

Any other info you need, feel free to ask.

I already contacted Tech Support with no luck. They told me to just to contact my isp and modem man. =/

Wrong answer from support.

I've alerted the OneCare team to this thread earlier today - and realized that I need to combine it with the other one on the same problem. I'll do that as soon as I post this reply, Derek.

-steve

Tuesday, December 11, 2007 5:09 PM
  • Yeah it is pretty annoying..

I never had this issue with the v2.0 beta. Hopefully it gets fixed soon so I can have a working protection center again.

Thanks for the continued support in this matter steve. I will be awaiting your responses.

~Derek

Wednesday, December 12, 2007 11:00 PM
  • I also am having the resetting bug with onecare 2.0  I had 1.6 version and had no problems with my modem at all.  Once it updated to  2.0 my modem keeps resetting four to five times.  I have uninstalled onecare and had no issues with the modem on the main pc  however with the laptops with onecare still installed the modem still resets when I turn them on.

Thursday, December 13, 2007 7:17 AM
  • I have no update on this problem, but I did make the OneCare team aware of this thread. If I learn anything new about the issue, I'll post it here. Those of you with the issue, though support probably can't fix the problem, please open a support case on the problem to give it more attention.

-steve

Thursday, December 13, 2007 2:54 PM
  • Hi,

I would like your help in confirming what is the cause of this issue.

Please perform the steps below and report back whether the issue is still occurring:

1. In the OneCare main screen, click "Change settings"
    2. Under the Firewall tab click "Configure firewall"
    3. Click "Change location" to change from "home or work" to "public place"

Now track your router during the next 24 hours and report back whether you are still experiencing router disconnects.

Also, please generate a full support log file by executing '\Program Files\Microsoft Windows OneCare Live\OneCareSupport.exe'

Please email the generated OneCareSupportData.zip file to wloc@live.com mentioning this is for the router reset issue.

Thank you for your help and patience.

Oded

Saturday, December 15, 2007 10:57 PM
  • Oded,

When I changed the setting to Public, I don't have the problem.  I changed it back to Home/Work today and it almost immedately knocked out my wireless modem.   I changed it back and the problem goes away.  I'll send the OneCareSupport file tomorrow along with one the other support information I've received.  I have emailed OneCare support about this issue, Microsoft Support Incident : SRX1051752858. 

Michael

Tuesday, December 18, 2007 4:26 AM
  • Thanks, Michael.

-steve

Wednesday, December 19, 2007 1:06 AM
  • Same problem here...have seen it since the 2.0beta.  I'm running Vista, and wired connection to an SBG900.  During the beta I reverted to the MSN VirusScan (mcafee) with no problem... but came back to onecare with the 2.0 official release.  Now I'm again having the same problem of modem resetting...I figure I'll give a brief attempt to resolve.

/m

Saturday, December 22, 2007 5:09 AM
  •  

Motorola SBG900 issue was resolved!

An update has been deployed to all users on 12/23.

Thanks,

Oded

Wednesday, December 26, 2007 9:05 AM
  •  OdedL MSFT wrote:

Motorola SBG900 issue was resolved!

An update has been deployed to all users on 12/23.

Thanks,

Oded

Thanks, Oded.

Hopefully some of those experiencing this problem will confirm that the problem is indeed now fixed for them. :-)

-steve

Wednesday, December 26, 2007 3:50 PM
  • I, also, use a Motorola SBG900.  I downloaded Windows Live OneCare, today, and no problems were evident.  Runs smoothly.  All is well that ends well.

Sunday, December 30, 2007 3:04 AM
  •  TopDog007 wrote:
    I, also, use a Motorola SBG900.  I downloaded Windows Live OneCare, today, and no problems were evident.  Runs smoothly.  All is well that ends well.

Thanks for confirming, TopDog007.

-steve

Monday, December 31, 2007 3:45 AM
  • Hi All

I've just come across this thread whilst troubleshooting my sbg900 modem. I have exactly the same problem as above but am running the latest version (I think) of OneCare (2.0.250.22). i uninstalled Onecare as a test and the modem did not reboot. Once i re-installed it, i have the same problem  when the system is restarted. i have to reset the network card to get access. (I'm running Vista sp1 32 bit btw)

Are there still other reported issues with the SBG900 and onecare?

any tips greatly appreciated

MaccLadd

Thursday, April 17, 2008 8:39 AM
  • This has not been reported here by anyone since Decembers fix. Please contact OneCare support if it is happening to you.

-steve
    Friday, April 18, 2008 4:52 AM
  •  

I am having this same exact issue and I am using a Motorola SBG900. I am running the newest version of OneCare, so I do not believe this is corrected.

As soon as I take my machine out of standby my modem resets. I am wired to the gateway.

This is the third time OneCare has caused a major problem on my PC. Why do I keep using it? Seems like everytime I have a strange problem OneCare is there...

Monday, June 2, 2008 1:07 AM
  • What is your version of OneCare - Help/About?

-steve

Monday, June 2, 2008 1:24 AM
  •  

I am running version 2.0.2500.30.

My subscription to OneCare is up on 6/3 and is about to renew. I do not want to renew if this keeps happening. It is cheaper for me to buy new security software than replace my $180 cable gateway.

This problem has been driving me nuts and I came accross this thread by mistake while searching for SBG900 resetting.

Looked at my logs and OneCare said this at the exact time my modem reset:

Broadcast messaging failed to contact the broadcast messaging server. URL=https://bm.onecare.live.com/bm.aspx?amb=0001000507980000&ame=000100010DC00000&asd=0001002126300004&avd=0001002126300004&br=Default&ccv=000100080007000B&cv=0000000000000000&fv=0&g1=36&g2=GN&l=en-us&o=x&p=8&r=3&s={1033fb6e-438f-48aa-9ac5-f28fb1592ac4}&v=0002000009C4001E. The data is the failure HRESULT.

Monday, June 2, 2008 1:44 AM
  •  

for your info. After I logged the call here, I logged a call with Microsoft support with no success. I eventually tracked it down, in my case, to the Wireless. I disabled Wireless on the modem and it no longer reboots.  I even got a brand new modem and it also had the same problem. Luckily with some re-organsiation on my home office, I could live with out Wireless but I think this is not a real solution.
    Monday, June 2, 2008 1:54 AM
  •  MaccLadd wrote:

for your info. After I logged the call here, I logged a call with Microsoft support with no success. I eventually tracked it down, in my case, to the Wireless. I disabled Wireless on the modem and it no longer reboots.  I even got a brand new modem and it also had the same problem. Luckily with some re-organsiation on my home office, I could live with out Wireless but I think this is not a real solution.

I cannot live without wireless. 36 seconds before the last reboot OneCare did the following:

Successfully updated wireless security state. Cache = 05.

I know OneCare is causing the problem, but do not know how to fix it.

Monday, June 2, 2008 2:00 AM
  • Thanks for the further information. it sure sounds like the defect crept back in. I'll notify the OneCare team once again, but it will certainly be too late for your renewal date tomorrow, WinTek. :-(

-steve

Monday, June 2, 2008 8:54 AM
  • I am switching to a free security suite from my ISP. I will switch back to OneCare if this is fixed.

I sent in a support ticket after my first post. Does this just impact Motorola modems?

Monday, June 2, 2008 12:52 PM
  • It would appear that it impacts this specific modem and only in certain cases. It may be a modem firmware problem. On the other hand, OneCare should *not* be causing the problem with a probe and it would be nice to at least be able to disable the probe to prevent the problem!

-steve

Monday, June 2, 2008 1:11 PM
  • Just recently I am having the same resetting bug as in December. I am using a motorola sbg 900.  One desktop computer and two laptop computers all running onecare.  I have switched from home to public on all the pc's  and the resetting has stopped. Hopefully this issue will be resolved soon. 

Wednesday, June 4, 2008 9:22 AM
  •  DJB66 wrote:

Just recently I am having the same resetting bug as in December. I am using a motorola sbg 900.  One desktop computer and two laptop computers all running onecare.  I have switched from home to public on all the pc's  and the resetting has stopped. Hopefully this issue will be resolved soon. 

I merged your post into the other thread on this issue. Thanks for providing the workaround, although it is certainly not a good one if you wish to use Home or Work network functions, though. :-(

I've reported the problem to the OneCare team for investigation.

-steve

Wednesday, June 4, 2008 4:11 PM
  • Any news on the investigation.  Hopefully this issue will be resolved.

Saturday, June 7, 2008 8:33 PM
  •  DJB66 wrote:
    Any news on the investigation.  Hopefully this issue will be resolved.

I've been away for a few days and have not heard anything more on the issue, though I did report it.

-steve

Tuesday, June 10, 2008 7:28 PM
  • Today I tried to set the firewall to home and soon after my modem reset.  Any news on this issue?

Wednesday, June 18, 2008 8:27 AM
  • Unfortunately, I've poked a few times and have not heard anything about the issue. I have to hope that it is on the radar for being fixed in a future program update. This problem happened with another modem/router with the initial 2.0 release and there were 2 updates over a few months before it was resolved. I suspect that resolving issues with a specific device are not easy to do.

-steve

Wednesday, June 18, 2008 5:21 PM
  • Well its coming up on a month and no news about an update fixing this issue?  We are not happy with not being able to use all of onecare's features.  This was a problem back in December and was fixed pretty fast.  Now that its happening again we are at a standstill for some reason.  Seems whatever was done in December's fix was deleted in a resent patch.

Could you please check again if there is something being done about this or should I call it in?

Saturday, July 12, 2008 6:13 AM
  • Please do contact support on the issue once again. I'll push it up from my side, too. Has your system been updated to 2.5 yet (open OneCare, Help/About)? And, if so, does the problem persist?

-steve

Monday, July 14, 2008 5:30 PM
  • Yes I do have 2.5 and  as soon as I switched the firewall from public to home my cable modem reset. I tried it on July 14. Was there an update in the 2.5 version to fix this issue? Or is that just the current version of Onecare?

Monday, July 14, 2008 7:12 PM
  •  DJB66 wrote:

Yes I do have 2.5 and  as soon as I switched the firewall from public to home my cable modem reset. I tried it on July 14. Was there an update in the 2.5 version to fix this issue? Or is that just the current version of Onecare?

No, if you just received 2.5 (and are not using the beta) it is the only released production version.

I'm sorry to read that the problem persists for you modem/router and OneCare.

-steve

Tuesday, July 15, 2008 12:29 AM