create a restore point RRS feed

• Question

• What it the best why to copy my project so if I mess the code up beyond repair I can open on older one and start from there. I am now starting from scratch for the third time.

Can I simply copy the project folder and rename it?

• Moved by Chao Kuo Wednesday, September 29, 2010 10:44 AM Not VB.net programming related (From:Visual Basic General)
    Wednesday, September 22, 2010 2:03 AM

All replies

• I am assuming you do not have some kind of source control like TFS or Source Safe.  There are online free versions of source control management that may be useful to you.  You should never have to create a project from scratch.
    www.sqlquerybuilder.com
    If I answered your question please mark my post as the answer.
    Wednesday, September 22, 2010 2:53 AM
  • It is not the best way, which is what Lee tells in his first sentence.

However, the best like you want costs money, if you don't want to spent that, then the answer cannot be "Yes it is the best way".

But Yes you can copy as much projects as you want by using windows explorer.

If you want to use that folder as a kind of second project than you can edit the Whatever.sln file with notepad.

Success
    Cor
    Wednesday, September 22, 2010 7:06 AM
  • Hardware is cheap, get portable HD or Flash Drive for your programs backup, this can also prevents data lost if the system crashed or infected by virus which can leads to hard drive format.

kaymaf

CODE CONVERTER SITE

http://www.carlosag.net/Tools/CodeTranslator/.

http://www.developerfusion.com/tools/convert/csharp-to-vb/.

Wednesday, September 22, 2010 11:14 AM
  • I'm going to add my 2 cents worth to this, too, as it follows up on a similar question I asked a while ago...

I've been doing the explorer backup (i.e. copy  the project to a backup folder) for ages, as I develop applications by myself, and not as part of a team.

I always store my backups on an external drive. Whilst this is a great, secure, way of doing it, it's not ideal. I frequently lose track of which version had which features working properly, which parts were in what stage of development or testing etc. Basically I spend more time going through the backups to find a previous chunk of code than I should - especially when I break a project by tinkering to improve my code.

I've been looking for a solution to this for a while, and have come up with some needs, having had no experience of Source Control solutions in the past, I don't know a lot of their terminology, but hopefully you can understand what I'm decribing, and can suggest a solution:

I would like a system that can do the following:

1. Store it's files on an external hard drive/network hard drive.
    2. Be accessible through the VS2008 IDE if possible.
    3. When I load a project, it loads the versionning system, alowing me to scan back through historic versions of my code quickly, from within the IDE.
    4. I can test and run/debug my code blocks before committing the revisions to the backup. Once committed, a new backup is created, highlighting the changed code from the "live" version.

I suspect that this level of backup/version control doesn't exist, but is there anything that can do something similar - point 4 is the most important - keeping track of the blocks of code that have changed, and only saving the changes once I'm happy that they work correctly and I've committed them.

Any ideas if a suitable solution exists, or do I need to develop this myself? Remember I'm a standalone developer (mostly for fun) = no budget.

Thanks in advance

DamianC

• Edited by DamianC Wednesday, September 22, 2010 1:00 PM typo
    Wednesday, September 22, 2010 12:57 PM
  • All i was looking for is a save Prodject as option When I go to File it only has a save as for the file I have open.

Thursday, September 23, 2010 1:20 AM
  • Capple,

The easiest way to accomplish what you want, is simply to copy your project folders in Explorer.

You can rename the copied folder to anything you want, and the project should still open perfectly from whereever you copy it to.

Whenever I do this, I delete the contents of the "bin" folder in the project - purely because these are the debug and release compiles, and aren't really needed if you're only backing up your code, it just keeps the disk space consumed down a bit (obviously don't delete these if you're not sure, or if you've specifically moved files into these locations to enable your project to run)!

Make sure you don't change any of the other file or folder names inside the main project folder, though. If you do this, you might cause all sorts of problems. If you must rename these items, it's safer to do it from inside Visual Studio (or Visual Basic Express, depending which you use).

I'm still looking for any advice on a Source Control solution, though, if anyone has any thoughts!

DamianC

Thursday, September 23, 2010 8:57 AM