XP Home and WHS Access RRS feed

• Question

• I have WHS connected to several W7 systems and I do not have to go through the connect dialog box to access the shared folders on the server.  I have acquired and old laptop from my son and am using WHS to back up and hold mass storage stuff for this computer.  For some reason it (XP?) requires me to enter a User Name and Password to connect to the share folders.  Is it possible to get XP to act like W7 and connect automatically or is it because the User Account on the laptop is still son's name etc. or am I missing something else?  Everything else seems to work OK.
    • Moved by Ken WarrenModerator Monday, July 19, 2010 3:18 PM not a development question (From:Windows Home Server & Windows Home Server "Vail" Add-Ins and Developer Information)
    Monday, July 19, 2010 2:13 PM

All replies

• If there is no user name/password combination on the server that matches the user name/password on the laptop, you'll be prompted for credentials when you access the shares.

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Monday, July 19, 2010 3:17 PM
  • Thanks for the quick response.  I'm a little smarter but confused again!  I have WHS set up with a Password of "lllnnnnU" where "l" is a lowercase letter and "n" is a number and "U" is an uppercase letter.  That makes WHS happy.  On the computers I have connected to WHS I use the same User Name of "Ken" and a Password of "krl".  That works just fine.  WHS never asks for sign on information to access shared folders.  Now on the "Laptop" the User Name and Password are totally different.  So...I sign on to WHS with a User Name of "Ken" and the WHS secure password or I can use the User Name of "Ken" and Password of "krl", both work.  What I don't understand is where WHS got the "word" that the User Name "Ken" and/or Password "krl" are ok?  I don't remember entering that information.  Where do I find that information in the WHS console?
    Monday, July 19, 2010 6:58 PM
  • The user name and password are created when you set up users in the WHS Console.  Set up a user in the Console for the user name and password on the laptop and you won't be prompted anymore.

--

BullDawg
    In God We Trust

Thanks for the quick response.  I'm a little smarter but confused again!  I have WHS set up with a Password of "lllnnnnU" where "l" is a lowercase letter and "n" is a number and "U" is an uppercase letter.  That makes WHS happy.  On the computers I have connected to WHS I use the same User Name of "Ken" and a Password of "krl".  That works just fine.  WHS never asks for sign on information to access shared folders.  Now on the "Laptop" the User Name and Password are totally different.  So...I sign on to WHS with a User Name of "Ken" and the WHS secure password or I can use the User Name of "Ken" and Password of "krl", both work.  What I don't understand is where WHS got the "word" that the User Name "Ken" and/or Password "krl" are ok?  I don't remember entering that information.  Where do I find that information in the WHS console?

BullDawg
    Monday, July 19, 2010 9:48 PM
  • Yeah, but I did not set up the "Ken" and "krl".  Infact, "krl" is not an acceptable Password by WHS standards.  I'm missing something somewhere!  I did change the laptop to "Ken" and "krl" and it works like all the other PC's.  But I still don't understand why!
    Monday, July 19, 2010 10:00 PM
  • Yeah, but I did not set up the "Ken" and "krl".  Infact, "krl" is not an acceptable Password by WHS standards. 
    It is acceptable if you change the password requirement setting in the Console. 
    I'm missing something somewhere!  I did change the laptop to "Ken" and "krl" and it works like all the other PC's.  But I still don't understand why!

It works because the username and password from the client matches a username and password on the server (or your Guest account is enabled and has access to that share).  Note that the username on the client may not be what you see on screen (which is the display name).  See this FAQ for details on how to determine what your username actually is.

Tuesday, July 20, 2010 4:07 AM
  • Thanks for the information.  It's all coming back to me now!  I am using the "Guest" Account with no Password required so that I don't get caught up in the WHS secure password for my local Workgroup.  The Laptop that I was having trouble with was my son's who I had set up many many months ago in WHS for remote access and a secure password.  WHS was doing exactly what it was supposed to do!  I guess that is a "problem" with WHS, it just runs and runs without any intervention and you tend to forget what you setup a year or more ago.  Thanks again for making me refresh. 

Tuesday, July 20, 2010 2:33 PM