32 bit to 64 bit upgrade RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I bought a 3-license upgrade of Windows 7 Home Premium, and so far I have updated two computers, one to a 64 bit and one to a 32 bit system.  I have since realized that I could have upgraded my 32 bit computer to a 64 bit system. 

If I now upgrade my 32 bit system to a 64 bit system, is that my third use of my license?
    Monday, February 15, 2010 9:47 PM

Answers

All replies

• Hi brianh7658,

Please see "Can I upgrade from a 32-bit version of Windows to a 64-bit version of Windows?" section of the 32bit/64bit Windows 7 FAQ http://www.microsoft.com/windows/windows-7/compare/32-bit-64-bit-faq.aspx

For further assistance, please post into the "Install, Upgrade and Activate" section of the Windows 7 Answers Forum http://social.answers.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/category/windows7.

Thank you,
    Darin MS

• Marked as answer by Darin Smith MS Monday, February 15, 2010 10:18 PM
    Monday, February 15, 2010 10:18 PM
  • Thank you for your reply.

I was already aware that I would have to do a custom install for the 64 bit version.  I am prepared to do that.  However, I need to understand how installing the 64 bit (after installing the 32 bit version and changing my mind) will be counted on my 3 computer license.

My question was:  I had already upgraded from 32 bit Vista to 32 bit Windows 7, and then realized that I could have (and should have) done a custom install of 64 bit Windows 7.  Will the custom installation of the 64 bit system count as one of the 3 uses of my license?  If I change my mind on which system to install on one computer, is my second choice counted as a second use of the license?  Or can I still upgrade two more computers after I installed two versions of Windows 7 on one computer?

Thank you for your help.
    • Edited by brianh7658 Tuesday, February 16, 2010 10:07 PM
    Tuesday, February 16, 2010 3:46 AM
  • Hello brianh7658,

I am not a licensing expert (i'm technical support) but my understanding is if you are allowed (by the End User Licensing Agreement) to have three copies of Windows 7 Home Premium, then you can have three copies of Windows 7 Home Premium regardless of wheather the three are of 64bit, 32bit or a mix of the two.

Thank you,
    Darin MS
    Tuesday, February 16, 2010 7:29 PM
  • Thank you very much for your reply, this is exactly what I needed.

Thanks again, brianh7658
    Tuesday, February 16, 2010 10:06 PM
  • Hello brianh7658

I am in the same situation having put a 32 bit on my computer and after validation, decided I should have used the 64 bit version..... so my question is, can I 'un-validate' it to allow me to install the 64 bit without wasting a licence.

Thanks
    Lind0
    Tuesday, February 16, 2010 10:12 PM