A little lost about when to use client side code or server code RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I am beginner in CRM Microsoft customization and I am a little confused about when I should  use client side code, or callouts or .Net script.  Somebody could give me a guide about when I should use what?  For example in this moment I should upload and save a custom field existing in opportunity product entity to the products in the quota entity and after to the products in order entity, this custom field should be automatically generated when I convert the opportunity products in the quota and the same should happen when I convert the quota to the order.  I don't know how is the better way to do this.

Thanks.

Wednesday, September 26, 2007 4:18 PM

Answers

• In general client side code is best for validation and simple data manipulation based on values on one form (it is possible to access other CRM data in client side code but it is not so easy)

In this example it would normally be best to use callout code as you are manipulating data across entities. However, be warned that callouts do not fire when expected in some cases when you convert one sales entity to another; for instance creating an order from an opportunity. If you find this problem you could use workflow (possibly with a workflow assembly)

Wednesday, September 26, 2007 5:32 PM