Older Processors RRS feed

• Question

• I have 2 older desk top computers. One has a Pentium 4 processor maxed at 2 GB of memory (I bought it in 2003). The other I bought in 2006 is a AMD Athlon 2500+ with only 512MB of memory, which could max at 4 GB. I am unemployed and financially challenged right now. I know my systems are aniquated, but which processor is better? Is it possible to install the memory from the Pentium into the Athlon?
    Wednesday, July 13, 2011 10:10 PM

All replies

• "drphoot" wrote in message news:f2822e1d-2180-4431-aaa6-a8fe86bdd23b...
    I have 2 older desk top computers. One has a Pentium 4 processor maxed at 2 GB of memory (I bought it in 2003). The other I bought in 2006 is a AMD Athlon 2500+ with only 512MB of memory, which could max at 4 GB. I am unemployed and financially challenged right now. I know my systems are aniquated, but which processor is better? Is it possible to install the memory from the Pentium into the Athlon?

It's impossible to tell, as it depends more on the motherboard that the processor.
    If both systems are running, try going to the Crucial site, and see what they say about the specs for upgrading the RAM. If both require the same spec then you could cannibalise or swap.

I bought 1GB of DDR2 the other day for about £25 (~$35?), so it's not that expensive..

--

Noel Paton | Nil Carborundum Illegitemi | CrashFixPC | The Three-toed Sloth
    • Proposed as answer by Noel D Paton Sunday, April 14, 2013 6:37 PM
    Wednesday, July 13, 2011 11:18 PM