Error - CRM 2011 Configuration Wizard

Question

• I get following error when trying to run through CRM 2011 Configuration Wizard for Outlook:

'Microsoft Dynamics CRM for Outlook: There is a problem communicating with the Microsoft Dynamics CRM server.  The server might be unavailable.  Try again later....'

If i click OK, i get the following error:

'Microsoft Dynamics CRM for Outlook:  Cannot configure the organization for Microsoft Dynamics CRM for Outlook.  Try to configure the organization again....'

I located the following error in the configuration log:

Error| Exception : Server was unable to process request.    at Microsoft.Crm.MapiStore.DataStore.WaitInitialized()

at Microsoft.Crm.Application.Outlook.Config.OutlookConfigurator.InitializeMapiStoreForFirstTime()

at Microsoft.Crm.Application.Outlook.Config.OutlookConfigurator.Configure(IProgressEventHandler progressEventHandler)

at Microsoft.Crm.Application.Outlook.Config.ConfigEngine.Configure(Object stateInfo)

Error| Exception : Server was unable to process request.

Our CRM 2011 Server deployment is on premise in the London office, and the error is not coming up when i run configuration on local client desktops in the London office.  The error is only coming up when i run the configuration on desktops in other offices (Frankfurt/Amsterdam) which connect to London via site-to-site VPN link (firewall all sites are setup to allow ALL traffic on VPN link).  The client desktops are setup exactly the same in the other offices as in London.  The users in the other offices can access CRM via the browser, it is only Outlook that is causing a problem now.  I've looked through the forums but cannot find anything that applies to this error.  

Our setup is as follows:

CRM 2011 Server (on premise)

CRM 2011 for Outlook running on WinXPSP3 desktops with Outlook 2007 SP2.

Please can someone take a look at the configuration error and point us in the direction of a fix? Any help that can be given will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks a lot.

Mark Eagles

'The worst thing you can do is nothing.'

Thursday, April 14, 2011 12:08 PM

Answers

• Hi MarkInternos,

1. Are all the machines in the same domain?

2. What about IIS? Are bindings OK? CRM web works fine?

3. This url resolves? http://<yourcrmserver>/XRMServices/2011/Discovery.svc

4. Credentials are saved in the Windows Credentials storage for the user?

5. Maybe you can uninstall the client, then make sure the registry keys are cleaned up at

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\MSCRMClient

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\MSCRM

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\MSCRM_Setup

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\MSCRMClient

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Microsoft\MSCRM

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Microsoft\MSCRM_Setup

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Microsoft\MSCRMClient

..then reinstall and see if the client connects correctly.

Hope it helps,

PP

Microsoft MVP Dynamics CRM | My Twitter: http://twitter.com/pabloperalta | My blog: http://weblogs.asp.net/pabloperalta
    • Proposed as answer by JaredE Wednesday, May 25, 2011 7:51 PM
    • Marked as answer by Jim Glass Jr Saturday, May 28, 2011 3:47 AM
    Thursday, April 14, 2011 6:01 PM
  • That is correct, just get rid of them and if it needs them they will be recreated with the new install.
    Jamie Miley
    http://mileyja.blogspot.com
    Linked-In Profile
    Follow Me on Twitter!
    • Marked as answer by Jim Glass Jr Wednesday, May 25, 2011 9:31 PM
    Wednesday, May 25, 2011 8:28 PM

All replies

• I wonder if the VPN is restricting some type of communication.  Another thought would be to check your client computers to make sure their time/date/timezone settings are correct.  I have had some trouble with CRM online to this effect when connecting up.  If the settings are out of sync by more than 5 minutes between the server and client based on zulu time, the communications will fail.

So, for instance, if your Germany office has the wrong timezone set for their machines, their computers might display the right time locally, but when converted to zulu time, the time could be wrong.

Good luck!

Jamie Miley
    Linked-In Profile
    Follow Me on Twitter!
    Thursday, April 14, 2011 1:27 PM
  • Hi MarkInternos,

5. Maybe you can uninstall the client, then make sure the registry keys are cleaned up at

Hope it helps,

PP

Microsoft MVP Dynamics CRM | My Twitter: http://twitter.com/pabloperalta | My blog: http://weblogs.asp.net/pabloperalta
    • Proposed as answer by JaredE Wednesday, May 25, 2011 7:51 PM
    • Marked as answer by Jim Glass Jr Saturday, May 28, 2011 3:47 AM
    Thursday, April 14, 2011 6:01 PM
  • I have the same problem with a few laptops for my client. Anybody has an idea what to do?

thank you

Nicolette
    Wednesday, May 25, 2011 5:20 PM
  • I was getting this error: "There is a problem communicating with the Microsoft Dynamics CRM server. The server might be unavailable. Try again later. If the problem persists, contact your system administrator." and the fix below worked for me.

EDIT: to be more specific, step number 5 specifically worked for me.

Hi MarkInternos,

Hope it helps,

PP

• Edited by JaredE Thursday, May 26, 2011 4:33 AM
    Wednesday, May 25, 2011 7:51 PM
  • Thanks Jared.

which step did work for you?

On step 5 how do I make sure registry keys are cleaned up? just delete them if they are still there?

thank  you

Nicolette
    Wednesday, May 25, 2011 8:19 PM
  • That is correct, just get rid of them and if it needs them they will be recreated with the new install.
    Jamie Miley
    Linked-In Profile
    Follow Me on Twitter!
    • Marked as answer by Jim Glass Jr Wednesday, May 25, 2011 9:31 PM
    Wednesday, May 25, 2011 8:28 PM
  • Thank you Jamie
    Nicolette
    Wednesday, May 25, 2011 8:43 PM
  • hi

none of the above and the "solutions" posted elsewhere on this forum - has solved my instance of the issue...

Dynamics CRM 2011 - with Rollup 01 hosted on Windows 2008 R2 Enterprise - with SP1, SQL 2008 R2 hosted on separate Windows 2008 R2 Enterprise SP1 server

Outlook 2011 x32 with Dynamics CRM 2011 client for Outlook build version 5.0.9688.1045

server and client firewalls have been switched off.

IIS applicationhost.config has been edited to add - useKernelMode="true" useAppPoolCredentials="true">

Despite the latest patches, rollups, "fixes" uninstall and re-install - the client for outlook refuses to connect...

This is a copy of the error/trace log....

Surely this is a bug in the software, since more than just a few are experiencing this issue!

Microsoft can you comment?

Can anyone please assist?

21:54:35|   Info| Set org-based registry values.
    21:54:35|Verbose| Method exit: Microsoft.Crm.Application.Outlook.Config.OrganizationRepositoryConfigurator.Configure
    21:54:35|Verbose| Method entry: Microsoft.Crm.Application.Outlook.Config.PrimaryConfigurator.Configure
    21:54:35|Verbose| Method entry: Microsoft.Crm.Application.Outlook.Config.PrimaryConfigurator.SetPrimaryContextValues
    21:54:35|Verbose| Method exit: Microsoft.Crm.Application.Outlook.Config.PrimaryConfigurator.SetPrimaryContextValues
    21:54:35|   Info| Set Primary Org values.
    21:54:35|Verbose| Method exit: Microsoft.Crm.Application.Outlook.Config.PrimaryConfigurator.Configure
    21:54:35|Verbose| Method entry: Microsoft.Crm.Application.Outlook.Config.OutlookConfigurator.Configure
    21:54:35|Verbose| Method entry: Microsoft.Crm.Application.Outlook.Config.OutlookCRMDatastoreInstaller.DeleteV4CrmDatastore
    21:54:35|   Info| Logon mapi store
    21:54:35|   Info| Logon admin service
    21:54:35|Verbose| Method entry: Microsoft.Crm.Application.Outlook.Config.OutlookCRMDatastoreInstaller.GetCrmStoreServiceId
    21:54:35|Verbose| Method entry: Microsoft.Crm.Application.Outlook.Config.OutlookCRMDatastoreInstaller.GetServiceIds
    21:54:35|   Info| Query all rows in msg service table
    21:54:35|Verbose| Method exit: Microsoft.Crm.Application.Outlook.Config.OutlookCRMDatastoreInstaller.GetServiceIds
    21:54:35|Verbose| Method exit: Microsoft.Crm.Application.Outlook.Config.OutlookCRMDatastoreInstaller.GetCrmStoreServiceId
    21:54:35|Verbose| Method exit: Microsoft.Crm.Application.Outlook.Config.OutlookCRMDatastoreInstaller.DeleteV4CrmDatastore
    21:54:35|Verbose| Method entry: Microsoft.Crm.Application.Outlook.Config.OutlookConfigurator.InitializeMapiStoreForFirstTime
    21:54:43|  Error| Exception : Server was unable to process request.    at Microsoft.Crm.MapiStore.DataStore.WaitInitialized()
       at Microsoft.Crm.Application.Outlook.Config.OutlookConfigurator.InitializeMapiStoreForFirstTime()
       at Microsoft.Crm.Application.Outlook.Config.OutlookConfigurator.Configure(IProgressEventHandler progressEventHandler)
       at Microsoft.Crm.Application.Outlook.Config.ConfigEngine.Configure(Object stateInfo)
    21:54:43|  Error| Exception : Server was unable to process request.
    21:55:44|Verbose| Method entry: Microsoft.Crm.Application.Outlook.Config.OutlookConfigurator.Unconfigure
    21:55:44|Verbose| Method exit: Microsoft.Crm.Application.Outlook.Config.OutlookConfigurator.Unconfigure
    21:55:44|Verbose| Method entry: Microsoft.Crm.Application.Outlook.Config.OrganizationRepositoryConfigurator.Unconfigure
    21:55:44|Verbose| Method entry: Microsoft.Crm.Application.Outlook.Config.OrganizationRepositoryConfigurator.RemoveContextValues
    21:55:44|   Info| Delete org-based registry keys.
    21:55:44|Verbose| Method exit: Microsoft.Crm.Application.Outlook.Config.OrganizationRepositoryConfigurator.RemoveContextValues
    21:55:44|   Info| Remove org-based registry values.
    21:55:44|Verbose| Method exit: Microsoft.Crm.Application.Outlook.Config.OrganizationRepositoryConfigurator.Unconfigure
    21:55:44|Verbose| Method entry: Microsoft.Crm.Application.Outlook.Config.AddinConfigurator.Unconfigure
    21:55:44|Verbose| Method entry: Microsoft.Crm.Application.Outlook.Config.AddinConfigurator.RemoveFixedRegistryValuesAction
    21:55:44|   Info| Removed the form region for IPM.Note in Office registry hive.
    21:55:44|   Info| Removed the form region for IPM.Appointment in Office registry hive.
    21:55:44|   Info| Removed the form region for CRM.Task in Office registry hive.
    21:55:44|   Info| Removed the form region for CRM.Contact in Office registry hive.
    21:55:44|Verbose| Method exit: Microsoft.Crm.Application.Outlook.Config.AddinConfigurator.RemoveFixedRegistryValuesAction
    21:55:44|Verbose| Method entry: Microsoft.Crm.Application.Outlook.Config.AddinConfigurator.RemoveIntegrationKey
    21:55:44|Verbose| Method exit: Microsoft.Crm.Application.Outlook.Config.AddinConfigurator.RemoveIntegrationKey
    21:55:44|Verbose| Method entry: Microsoft.Crm.Application.Outlook.Config.AddinConfigurator.RemoveCrmRibbonAddinRegistryValuesAction
    21:55:44|   Info| Removed the crm ribbon addin keys under Software\Microsoft\Office\Outlook\Addins\crmaddin.RibbonAddin
    21:55:44|Verbose| Method entry: Microsoft.Crm.Application.Outlook.Config.AddinConfigurator.RemoveCrmAddinOfficeResiliencyRegValuesAction
    21:55:44|   Info| Deleted the resiliency keys under Software\Microsoft\Office
    21:55:44|   Info| Deleted the resiliency keys under Software\Microsoft\Office
    21:55:44|Verbose| Method exit: Microsoft.Crm.Application.Outlook.Config.AddinConfigurator.RemoveCrmAddinOfficeResiliencyRegValuesAction
    21:55:44|Verbose| Method exit: Microsoft.Crm.Application.Outlook.Config.AddinConfigurator.RemoveCrmRibbonAddinRegistryValuesAction
    21:55:44|Verbose| Method exit: Microsoft.Crm.Application.Outlook.Config.AddinConfigurator.Unconfigure
    21:55:44|Verbose| Method entry: Microsoft.Crm.Application.Outlook.Config.GlobalRepositoryConfigurator.Unconfigure
    21:55:44|Verbose| Method entry: Microsoft.Crm.Application.Outlook.Config.GlobalRepositoryConfigurator.StopApplicationHosterAction
    21:55:44|Verbose| Method exit: Microsoft.Crm.Application.Outlook.Config.GlobalRepositoryConfigurator.StopApplicationHosterAction
    21:55:44|   Info| Stopped application hoster.
    21:55:44|Verbose| Method entry: Microsoft.Crm.Application.Outlook.Config.GlobalRepositoryConfigurator.RemoveApplicationhosterSettings
    21:55:44|   Info| Deleted Application hoster registry value.
    21:55:44|Verbose| Method exit: Microsoft.Crm.Application.Outlook.Config.GlobalRepositoryConfigurator.RemoveApplicationhosterSettings
    21:55:44|   Info| Removed application hoster settings.
    21:55:44|Verbose| Method entry: Microsoft.Crm.Application.Outlook.Config.GlobalRepositoryConfigurator+DeleteUserApplicationFilesAction.DeleteUserApplicationFilesAction
    21:55:44|Verbose| Method exit: Microsoft.Crm.Application.Outlook.Config.GlobalRepositoryConfigurator+DeleteUserApplicationFilesAction.DeleteUserApplicationFilesAction
    21:55:44|   Info| Deleted user application files.
    21:55:44|Verbose| Method entry: Microsoft.Crm.Application.Outlook.Config.GlobalRepositoryConfigurator.RemoveSQMRegkeysAndDirectory
    21:55:44|   Info| Removed SQM registry keys.
    21:55:44|   Info| Removed SQM queue directory.
    21:55:44|Verbose| Method exit: Microsoft.Crm.Application.Outlook.Config.GlobalRepositoryConfigurator.RemoveSQMRegkeysAndDirectory
    21:55:44|   Info| Removed SQM registry key values and directory.
    21:55:44|Verbose| Method entry: Microsoft.Crm.Application.Outlook.Config.GlobalRepositoryConfigurator.RemoveConfigurationRegistryValuesAction
    21:55:44|Verbose| Method entry: Microsoft.Crm.Application.Outlook.Config.GlobalRepositoryConfigurator.RemoveLaptopClientRegistryValues
    21:55:44|   Info| Deleted Crm allow list key.
    21:55:44|Verbose| Method exit: Microsoft.Crm.Application.Outlook.Config.GlobalRepositoryConfigurator.RemoveLaptopClientRegistryValues
    21:55:44|   Info| Removed Laptop client registry keys.
    21:55:44|Verbose| Method exit: Microsoft.Crm.Application.Outlook.Config.GlobalRepositoryConfigurator.RemoveConfigurationRegistryValuesAction
    21:55:44|   Info| Removed Crm client registry keys.
    21:55:44|Verbose| Method exit: Microsoft.Crm.Application.Outlook.Config.GlobalRepositoryConfigurator.Unconfigure
    21:55:44|  Error| Failed to configure Microsoft Dynamics CRM for Outlook with <My Organisation Name>.
    21:55:44|Verbose| Method exit: Microsoft.Crm.Application.Outlook.Config.ConfigEngine.Configure
    21:55:44|  Error| Exception : Cannot configure the organization for Microsoft Dynamics CRM for Outlook. Try to configure the organization again. If the problem persists, contact your system administrator.    at Microsoft.Crm.Application.Outlook.Config.ConfigEngine.Execute(ActionCommand command, ServerInfo serverInfo)
       at Microsoft.Crm.Application.Outlook.Config.ServerForm.<InitializeBackgroundWorkers>b__3(Object sender, RunWorkerCompletedEventArgs e)
    21:55:56|Verbose| Method exit: Microsoft.Crm.Application.Outlook.Config.MainForm.AddServer
    21:55:56|Verbose| Method exit: Microsoft.Crm.Application.Outlook.Config.MainForm.MainForm_Shown
    21:55:57|Verbose| Method entry: Microsoft.Crm.Application.Outlook.Config.ClientConfig.Terminate
    21:55:57|   Info| Exit code: Default
    21:55:57|Verbose| Method exit: Microsoft.Crm.Application.Outlook.Config.ClientConfig.Terminate
    21:55:57|   Info| === Microsoft Dynamics CRM for Outlook Configuration Wizard logging stopped: 2011/05/31 09:55:57 PM ===

Tuesday, May 31, 2011 8:49 PM
  • Hi CSamuel,

I would consider starting another question with this info.  It will get more attention that way.

Jamie Miley
    Linked-In Profile
    Follow Me on Twitter!
    Tuesday, May 31, 2011 9:03 PM
  • We continue to have issues with a few laptops.

For 2 of them we managed to configure Outlook by giving them a different security role than before (I think related to User and User Settings for first time log to CRM through Oytlook). I requested help from MS to understand what was wrong with my security role, no answer.

But other 2 users, with Outlook configured and working, after a week or so they could not open any CRM record from Outlook. "wating to load a page from the server" error and nothing happend.   

At this point I have no idea what is going on. MS was looking into the problem.

Nicolette
    Wednesday, June 1, 2011 10:29 PM
  • This was Donna's answer for me:

This error was an issue when trying to configure a RC version of Outlook with CRM Online.  Please ensure you are trying to install the correct CRM Online Client application.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2526609

If you have the correct release, maybe the laptops were previously configured with the RC client and there are some lingering values in the registry or files.  If so, you'll want to remove all references from the client machines.  This article will point you in the right direction for finding the files, folders and registry settings you need to remove.  There may be some additional ones for CRM 2011 so look around for others while you are removing the references.

http://mscrmonline.wordpress.com/2010/03/28/full-uninstall-of-microsoft-crm-outlook-client/

Regards, Donna

Nicolette
    Wednesday, June 1, 2011 10:31 PM
  • Hi Pablo,  Thanks for your excellent advice sorry for my very late response.  In answer to your questions.

1. Yes we have a single domain for all offices.

2. IIS is ok, all users can access CRM using their web browser (IE8).

3. Yes the URL resolves.

4. Nope, we don't use Windows Credentials at all.

5. I haven't tried this but please see below.

For the CRM client desktops trying to connect from branch offices (Frankfurt/Amsterdam) we ran a trace on the firewall to see if there was a problem with the configuration traffic going over the VPN.  We located dropped packets on the firewall packet capture and after a bit of further digging in the firewall debug logs turned up data which indicated the CRM 2011 client configuration wizard is sending packets in a way that doesn't conform to RFC 1323 (TCP windows, "fill the pipe"), see here for info http://www.fuzeqna.com/sonicwallkb/consumer/kbdetail.asp?kbid=3582&catID1=106

So we made the changes recommended by Sonicwall on our firewall and the CRM Configuration wizard was able to run successfully on a client desktop in Frankfurt.  This solved the problem for most client desktops in branch offices but there was one user that was still getting the same error in Amsterdam (despite this working for other users in Amsterdam). 

After a bit more digging i found that by adding the Amsterdam user to the local administrators group (WinXP SP3) the CRM Configuration Wizard ran successfully. I was suprised by this but found the same workaround fixed the same problem that subsequently came up for a user in London.  I'm not sure why adding the user temporarily to the local administrators group on their desktop would fix the problem but i'm pasting the relevant portion from the trace log on the client desktop whih seems to indicate possible issue with Windows registry access.  This may be just a problem with our on-premise deployment of CRM 2011 but i wanted to post this here in case anyone else runs into the same problem trying to run the CRM Configuration Wizard on WinXP SP3.

>Crm Exception: Message: OrganizationDataProvider.RegistryKey, ErrorCode: -2147220989, InnerException: System.ArgumentNullException: Value cannot be null.

Parameter name: OrganizationDataProvider.RegistryKey

[2011-07-13 11:59:24.692] Process:Microsoft.Crm.Application.Outlook.ConfigWizard |Organization:00000000-0000-0000-0000-000000000000 |Thread:   17 |Category: Platform |User: 00000000-0000-0000-0000-000000000000 |Level: Info | MiniDump.CreateDumpInternal

at MiniDump.CreateDumpInternal(MiniDumpReasons reason, Exception exception)

at CrmException..ctor(String message, Exception innerException, Int32 errorCode, Boolean isFlowControlException, Boolean enableTrace)

at CrmArgumentNullException..ctor(String message)

at RegistryOrganizationDataProvider.GetProperty(Guid organizationId, String propertyName)

at ClientOrganizationContext.get_OrganizationName()

at ServerStore.BackgroundUpdateChecks()

at DataStore.<Initialize>b__8(Object unused)

at <>c__DisplayClass22.<TimerCallbackSafe>b__1d()

at ExceptionFilter.TryFilterAllCatch(Action body, Action`1 filter)

at <>c__DisplayClass1f.<TimerCallbackSafe>b__1c(Object state)

at _TimerCallback.TimerCallback_Context(Object state)

at ExecutionContext.runTryCode(Object userData)

at RuntimeHelpers.ExecuteCodeWithGuaranteedCleanup(TryCode code, CleanupCode backoutCode, Object userData)

at ExecutionContext.RunInternal(ExecutionContext executionContext, ContextCallback callback, Object state)

at ExecutionContext.Run(ExecutionContext executionContext, ContextCallback callback, Object state, Boolean ignoreSyncCtx)

at _TimerCallback.PerformTimerCallback(Object state)

>MiniDump: TraceDirectory setting not set or missing. Defaulting to temporary folder.

[2011-07-13 11:59:24.692] Process:Microsoft.Crm.Application.Outlook.ConfigWizard |Organization:00000000-0000-0000-0000-000000000000 |Thread:   17 |Category: Application.Outlook |User: 00000000-0000-0000-0000-000000000000 |Level: Error | <>c__DisplayClass1f.<TimerCallbackSafe>b__1e

at <>c__DisplayClass1f.<TimerCallbackSafe>b__1e(Exception ex)

at <>c__DisplayClassa.<TryFilterAllCatch>b__8(Exception ex)

at RegistryOrganizationDataProvider.GetProperty(Guid organizationId, String propertyName)

at ClientOrganizationContext.get_OrganizationName()

at ServerStore.BackgroundUpdateChecks()

at DataStore.<Initialize>b__8(Object unused)

at <>c__DisplayClass22.<TimerCallbackSafe>b__1d()

at <>c__DisplayClass1f.<TimerCallbackSafe>b__1c(Object state)

at _TimerCallback.TimerCallback_Context(Object state)

at ExecutionContext.runTryCode(Object userData)

at RuntimeHelpers.ExecuteCodeWithGuaranteedCleanup(TryCode code, CleanupCode backoutCode, Object userData)

at ExecutionContext.RunInternal(ExecutionContext executionContext, ContextCallback callback, Object state)

at ExecutionContext.Run(ExecutionContext executionContext, ContextCallback callback, Object state, Boolean ignoreSyncCtx)

at _TimerCallback.PerformTimerCallback(Object state)

> HandleException: Unhandled Exception: Microsoft.Crm.CrmArgumentNullException: OrganizationDataProvider.RegistryKey

at Microsoft.Crm.Application.SMWrappers.RegistryOrganizationDataProvider.GetProperty(Guid organizationId, String propertyName)

at Microsoft.Crm.Application.SMWrappers.ClientOrganizationContextFactory.ClientOrganizationContext.get_OrganizationName()

at Microsoft.Crm.MapiStore.ServerStore.BackgroundUpdateChecks()

at Microsoft.Crm.MapiStore.DataStore.<Initialize>b__8(Object unused)

at Microsoft.Crm.Application.SMWrappers.OutlookInstanceCache.<>c__DisplayClass1f.<>c__DisplayClass22.<TimerCallbackSafe>b__1d()

at Microsoft.ExceptionHelper.ExceptionFilter.TryFilterAllCatch(Action body, Action`1 filter)

Inner Exception: System.ArgumentNullException: Value cannot be null.

Parameter name: OrganizationDataProvider.RegistryKey

That's all, thanks very much for your help and advice.

Mark

Wednesday, July 13, 2011 6:05 PM
  • Hi Jamie,

Yes we found there was a problem with the traffic being sent over the VPN from the CRM Configuration Wizard which required a change on our firewalls to correct, please see here for info.  http://www.fuzeqna.com/sonicwallkb/consumer/kbdetail.asp?kbid=3582&catID1=106

Thanks.

Mark

Wednesday, July 13, 2011 6:10 PM
  • Thank you!!!  This issue was driving me crazy the last few days, after upgrading from 4.0 to 2011, and the Registry cleaning resolved it.

Hope it helps,

PP

Tuesday, August 16, 2011 11:26 PM
  • I've the same issue in an IFD: Access only via WEB to CRM 2011 server. (https) - works fine.

When I try to connect to Outlook: There is a problem communicating with the Microsoft Dynamics CRM server

Error connecting to URL: https://<myOrganisation>.<myCRM Server>:444/XRMServices/2011/Discovery.svc Exception: System.ServiceModel.Security.SecurityNegotiationException: The caller was not authenticated by the service. ---> System.ServiceModel.FaultException: The request for security token could not be satisfied because authentication failed.
       at System.ServiceModel.Security.SecurityUtils.ThrowIfNegotiationFault(Message message, EndpointAddress target)
       at System.ServiceModel.Security.SspiNegotiationTokenProvider.GetNextOutgoingMessageBody(Message incomingMessage, SspiNegotiationTokenProviderState sspiState)
       --- End of inner exception stack trace ---

Microsoft Support is included, currently NO idea.. Maybe someone here had same / similar issue?

Thursday, August 18, 2011 1:12 PM
  • BTW, just faced against this and trying to find this thread was not so easy, so, blogged these steps here:

http://weblogs.asp.net/pabloperalta/archive/2011/10/10/crm-for-outlook-configuration-wizard-there-is-a-problem-communicating-with-the-microsoft-dynamics-crm-server-the-server-might-be-unavailable-try-again-later.aspx

Hope it helps!

PP

Microsoft MVP Dynamics CRM | My Twitter: http://twitter.com/pabloperalta | My blog: http://weblogs.asp.net/pabloperalta | Blog en Español: http://wwww.elblogdedynamicscrm.com
    Thursday, November 3, 2011 1:54 PM
  • Hello all,

I'm able to get Organization Information when I press "Test  Connection" but when I hit OK the same connection error shows up. We are using Windows 7/Office 64bit.

Here is the error message in the configuration log file:

16:42:31| Error| Exception : The specified directory service attribute or value does not exist.
       at System.DirectoryServices.DirectoryEntry.Bind(Boolean throwIfFail)
       at System.DirectoryServices.DirectoryEntry.Bind()
       at System.DirectoryServices.DirectoryEntry.get_SchemaEntry()
       at System.DirectoryServices.AccountManagement.ADStoreCtx.IsContainer(DirectoryEntry de)
       at System.DirectoryServices.AccountManagement.ADStoreCtx..ctor(DirectoryEntry ctxBase, Boolean ownCtxBase, String username, String password, ContextOptions options)
       at System.DirectoryServices.AccountManagement.PrincipalContext.CreateContextFromDirectoryEntry(DirectoryEntry entry)
       at System.DirectoryServices.AccountManagement.PrincipalContext.DoLDAPDirectoryInitNoContainer()
       at System.DirectoryServices.AccountManagement.PrincipalContext.DoDomainInit()
       at System.DirectoryServices.AccountManagement.PrincipalContext.Initialize()
       at System.DirectoryServices.AccountManagement.PrincipalContext.get_QueryCtx()
       at System.DirectoryServices.AccountManagement.Principal.FindByIdentityWithTypeHelper(PrincipalContext context, Type principalType, Nullable`1 identityType, String identityValue, DateTime refDate)
       at System.DirectoryServices.AccountManagement.Principal.FindByIdentityWithType(PrincipalContext context, Type principalType, IdentityType identityType, String identityValue)
       at System.DirectoryServices.AccountManagement.UserPrincipal.FindByIdentity(PrincipalContext context, IdentityType identityType, String identityValue)
       at System.DirectoryServices.AccountManagement.UserPrincipal.get_Current()
       at Microsoft.Crm.Application.Outlook.Config.DeploymentsInfo.DeploymentInfo.SelectOrganization(Guid organizationId)
       at Microsoft.Crm.Application.Outlook.Config.ServerForm.LoadDataToServerInfo()
       at Microsoft.Crm.Application.Outlook.Config.ServerForm.<InitializeBackgroundWorkers>b__2(Object sender, DoWorkEventArgs e)
       at System.ComponentModel.BackgroundWorker.WorkerThreadStart(Object argument)

Any help here?

Thanks, Roberto.

Thursday, November 3, 2011 9:30 PM
  • Please start a new thread for this question. 

Thanks!

Jamie Miley
    Check out my about.me profile!
    Linked-In Profile
    Follow Me on Twitter!
    Thursday, November 3, 2011 10:08 PM
  • Roberto: Did you ever solve this?

We have the same problems.

Kind Regards,

Confide

Thursday, November 24, 2011 6:27 AM
  • Please give the user´s role additionally the write rights for "user settings" (tab "business administration" in the role configuration page) temporary. This solved the problem in my case. Please let me know if it worked in your case!

Thursday, January 12, 2012 3:27 PM
  • Also, If you have a multi-tenancy solution with multiple organisations (I do for Pre-Sales) and you delete one of the organisations SQL Database's without removing or disabling the organisation from the deployment manager, the Outlook Configuration Wizard will also give the same error.
    Of course in a deployment environment, I'd hope you would tidy up as you go an therefore not recreate this issue.
    Regards
    Paul  Bartram
    MSCRM Pre-Sales
    Pythagoras UK
    Monday, January 30, 2012 11:18 AM
  • In other client where I faced this same issue, the problem was due to the bits we were using.

It was necessary to use RTM bits in order to make it to work (previous full uninstall and clean up of registry keys as I mentioned above).

After RTM installed and configured we could apply latest Rollup Update and everything worked fine.

Hope it helps.

PP 

Microsoft MVP Dynamics CRM | My Twitter: http://twitter.com/pabloperalta | My blog: http://weblogs.asp.net/pabloperalta | Blog en Español: http://wwww.elblogdedynamicscrm.com
    Monday, February 6, 2012 10:43 AM
  • Hi Pablo,

We are encountering the exact same error message. When I try step 3 -

I get this message -

An error has occurred.

Try this action again. If the problem continues, check the Microsoft Dynamics CRM Community for solutions or contact your organization's Microsoft Dynamics CRM Administrator. Finally, you can contact Microsoft Support.

I can access CRM through Internet Explorer though.

Any suggestions would be much appreciated.

Monday, February 6, 2012 11:10 AM
  •  

Apologies for responding to my own comment but I have solved my issue by deleting the default port of 80 in IIS on the CRM server. Outlook now connects fine to the CRM instance.

Hope this is of help to anyone else.

Monday, February 6, 2012 11:44 AM
  • Did you have Sharepoint also installed on same box?
    • Proposed as answer by Suraj Fegade Tuesday, February 21, 2012 8:50 AM
    • Unproposed as answer by Suraj Fegade Tuesday, February 21, 2012 8:50 AM
    Monday, February 6, 2012 12:06 PM
  • Dear All,

Whoever is facing the below problem, Please try to follow the solution mentioned below.

'Microsoft Dynamics CRM for Outlook: There is a problem communicating with the Microsoft Dynamics CRM server.  The server might be unavailable.  Try again later....'

Solution: Please install Windows Identity Foundation on machine where you want to install CRM for Outlook.

Regards, Suraj

• Proposed as answer by Suraj Fegade Tuesday, February 21, 2012 8:56 AM
    Tuesday, February 21, 2012 8:55 AM
  • Wednesday, March 14, 2012 11:06 AM
  • I have had the same problem.

The solution was to give the selected user who encoutered the problem the all the administrator rights on his pc/system. This could be revoked after the configuration has happend. That did the trick in my case.

Wednesday, March 28, 2012 2:39 PM
  • Just for future reference, this KB article also has a solution for this problem:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2616319

The title is very different, but the solutions mentioned in step 2 and 3 will solve the communication error in some cases.

Especially when the application data folder of a user is located on a remote share.

Monday, August 6, 2012 7:11 PM