New CRM Deployment RRS feed

• Question

• Hi All,

We are testing CRM 2011 deployment in our environment, and need help from you all.

Here is the setup:

- CRM Server - 2008R2 standard (Virtual Server)

- Remote SQL Server - 2008 R2 Standard (Virtual Server)

the CRM server was installed successfully (without any errors). The OU for CRM we created is kind of sub-ou within our main OUs.

When I am trying to configure outlook clients, and try to enter http://crmserver:5555 in server url field and press test connection, it fails. The error I receive is " the server address is not responding". While if I try http://crmserver it says "problem communicating with server"

The "change" button is greyed out and I can not login with different credentials.

Is there something I am missing.

I do not remember adding any users, so it makes me believe that I am missing some crucial steps.

These are the instructions I followed to set this up.

http://weblogs.asp.net/pabloperalta/archive/2010/11/01/step-by-step-installing-crm-2011-on-premise-and-migrating-from-dynamics-crm-4-0-32-bits-on-premise.aspx

Tuesday, November 29, 2011 5:12 PM

All replies

• Before configuring the Outlook Client you'll want to log into CRM using the Web browser with the AD user account that you used to install CRM.  Once logged into the application you can go to Settings, Administration, Users and add new users.  Give each user added a security role.  You can try configuring the CRM Outlook Client after you've setup the user in CRM.  Use the same URL to configure the CRM Outlook client that you used to log into CRM from the web browser.

Regards, Donna

Tuesday, November 29, 2011 5:55 PM
  • Thanks Donna,

I was able to add a user. However when I test connection this time it says " the user does not have necessary permission to view these records or perform these actions. Please contact your administrator"

This user is system admin and I gave him admin privileges.

Any help is much appreciated..

V

Tuesday, November 29, 2011 6:13 PM
  • Can you try logging into the CRM Web browser with that user account to ensure that is working as expected.  If that works then we'll take a look at the log files.  If that doesn't work then something about the user account is not correct.

Also, please add the CRM URL to trusted sites in IE.  To do that, open a web browser and select Tools, Internet options Security and add the URL.

Regards, Donna

Tuesday, November 29, 2011 6:32 PM
  • The user can open the browser just fine. I think it has to do something with sys admin permissions to be changed to read/write.Trying to figure out how do I do that

Tuesday, November 29, 2011 6:38 PM
  • If the user is able to log into the CRM application using a browser then the issue is most likely not related to the security role but possibly the user's machine is passing incorrect credentials.  Additionally, the System Admin security role in CRM has full system privileges and is not available for change.

I would add the CRM URL to trusted sites and remove all windows stored credentials from the machine and see if that works.  If that does not work, open the log file created when you attempted to configure CRM and search for the word error.  Hopefully there will be a more descriptive error message.  The log file is located in

C:\Users\<username>\AppData\Local\Microsoft\MSCRM\Logs

and should be named something like Crm50ClientConfig.log

Regards, Donna

Tuesday, November 29, 2011 6:47 PM
  • This is what I found

10:08:39|  Error| Exception : Principal user (Id=b0e12e6b-b41a-e111-87f4-005056860029, type=8) is missing prvReadUserQuery privilege (Id=f3b782a2-e6d5-4b86-9b7d-33f627fe5c5d)    at Microsoft.Crm.Application.Platform.ServiceCommands.PlatformCommand.XrmExecuteInternal()

Tuesday, November 29, 2011 6:51 PM
  • So was this an upgrade from 4.0 to 2011?  If you have security roles that you created in 4.0 try using an 'out-of-the-box' security role for this user.  Apply the out-of-the-box System Administrator role to the user and see if that works.

You can find more information about this error in this article http://support.microsoft.com/kb/953962

Regards, Donna

Tuesday, November 29, 2011 7:06 PM
  • This was a fresh install
    Tuesday, November 29, 2011 7:49 PM
  • Did you assign the System Administrator security role to the CRM User?  Did you add the CRM URL to trusted sites?  Did you remove all windows saved credentials from the User machine?  Has the user machine ever had the CRM Outlook Client installed on it?

Regards, Donna

Tuesday, November 29, 2011 8:06 PM
  • Yes, the CRM user has been assigned sys admin rights.

URL has been added

This is the first time outlook client has been installed on this pc.

Tuesday, November 29, 2011 8:14 PM
  • Did you remove all windows saved credentials from the User machine?

If the installation completed without error, both the installing user and the user you added have the CRM System Admin security role assigned  and both users are able to log into CRM from a Web browser on the machine where you are installing the CRM Outlook Client then the error makes no sense to me as essentially it is saying that the user requires Read priviliges to Saved Views.  The CRM System Administrator role has full privileges in the CRM application so that leads me to believe that the Configuration Wizard is using some other stored windows credentials.

Regards, Donna

Tuesday, November 29, 2011 8:24 PM
  • yes i did that

how do i modify the user to assign read/write permission rather than admin permissions

V

Tuesday, November 29, 2011 8:31 PM
  • The question isn't quite valid in relationship to this scenario. 

Let's take a step back.  Can you log into CRM and open the User record.  Select Manage Role from the top navigation menu and confirm that the System Administrator role is selected.

Regards, Donna

Tuesday, November 29, 2011 10:01 PM
  • If you can confirm the above, then please provide me with the steps you are taking when you log into CRM with that user account.  I'm back to wondering if you are trying to configure the CRM Outlook Client for a user that does not exist in CRM.  Please note, that you must be logged into the machine with the user login of this same CRM user where you are trying to install the CRM Outlook Client.  You can not be logged into the machine as another user and then try to configure the CRM Outlook Client for a different CRM user account because CRM uses Active Directory to authenticate with the machine's currently logged in user account

Regards, Donna

Tuesday, November 29, 2011 10:06 PM
  • Hi Donna,

Thanks for your help and sorry for the delayed response. I had to change access mode from "administrative" to "Read/Write" and it works now.

Strange, I was thinking that Admin permissions would include read/write but apparently its not.

Can you point me to a resource where I can see more detailed instructions on setting this (dashboard, reports etc) up.

Once again thanks for your patience and help.

V

Wednesday, November 30, 2011 7:47 PM
  • I understand now.  You had the license type on the User record set to Adminstrative.  Ok, glad it is working as expected now.

For Dashboards and Reporting, I would start in the resoure center.   There are also some good videos on YouTube.  Here are a couple of links to get you started.

http://rc.crm.dynamics.com/rc/2011/en-us/online/5.0/dashboard.aspx

http://rc.crm.dynamics.com/RC/2011/en-us/online/5.1_CTP/10stepstoreporting.aspx

http://rc.crm.dynamics.com/RC/2011/en-us/online/5.1_CTP/faq.aspx#o58615

The CRM Team Blog is also a good resource.  When you are ready, you can purchase a CRM book or two as needed.

Regards, Donna

Wednesday, November 30, 2011 8:16 PM